• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Question Space, the Final Frontier

Jake65

Sage
Apologies to any Trekkies here ;)

Just looking for opinions please having created a(nother) bald spot from all the head scratching trying to decide.
Since the introduction of the extra expansion space on the right side of our cities, who has used this new space instead of filling up the old (left hand side) space first?
Or vice versa.
I've avoided adding single expansions on the right as they wouldn't really be useful on their own. I now have two (1 province and 1 research) available for placing and there's also discount expansions on offer so I could place 3 at once.
Any thoughts will be appreciated (including: don'tplacemoreexpansionsbecauseitwillaffecttheformula :p )

StarTrek.jpg

OldHag

Necromancer
I went more square from the off, so I've got a row on A and B

Have you got room for another mental note?
Every November has a 20% discount on expansions, I think it's called Black Friday, so depends how desperate you are for more expansions.

Edit - look below at @Alcaro post for correct details :)

Last edited:

Alcaro

Necromancer
I try to keep my cities as square-ish as possible. My OCD is too strong to let me do anything else :D :D

city_map_en2.jpg

I went more square from the off, so I've got a row on A and B

Every November has a 20% discount on expansions, I think it's called Black Friday, so depends how desperate you are for more expansions.
Actually, the 20% discount is on Cyber Monday, which comes after Black Friday. This year it should be on Nov. 27th.

Jake65

Sage
I'll just stick it on the bald spot :)

Not desperate so I'll hang on. Thanks for the heads up.

OldHag

Necromancer
If you wait for the 20% sale day and with some more research, you might be able to finish off that row of 6....lol ;)

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Any thoughts will be appreciated (including: don'tplacemoreexpansionsbecauseitwillaffecttheformula :p )

This is how MinMax formula affects Spire and tourney based on the preset values in the spreadsheet. Things have changed little bit since then and it doesn't affect it as much.

One non-premium expansion: 0.88% increase in catering costs and squad size for both you and the enemy
One premium expansion: 0.58% increase in catering costs and squad size for both you and the enemy

I personally don't have a problem to offset the increase and use the space the way that it even makes my Spire and tourney easier. It all depends how well you use the placed expansions. Because you're placing a lot of expansions at once, you might notice the difference. I usually place non-premium expansions right up and premium ones on discount days so the increase is more gradual. I'm too impatient to wait for 20% discount.

Jake65

Sage
increase in catering costs and squad size for both you and the enemy
I still struggle to get my head around this :rolleyes:

If my squad size is 10 000 and the enemy is 20 000 then 0.88% increase will make mine 10 088 and the enemy 20 176.
So my squad size is still half that of the enemy, therefore not more difficult to fight just the loss would be more individual troops due to bigger squad size?
No difference to the odds of winning the encounter or the % of troops lost?

This is probably one of those things that are fairly simple and straight forward but I overthink it and make it unnecessarily complex. Double eyeroll :)

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I still struggle to get my head around this :rolleyes:

If my squad size is 10 000 and the enemy is 20 000 then 0.88% increase will make mine 10 088 and the enemy 20 176.
So my squad size is still half that of the enemy, therefore not more difficult to fight just the loss would be more individual troops due to bigger squad size?

This is probably one of those things that are fairly simple and straight forward but I overthink it and make it unnecessarily complex. Double eyeroll :)

There's no difference to the odds of winning but when you lose, you lose more troops because you lose bigger squad size. So if you keep winning, there's no difference at all. It's more difficult to analyse when you only lose some of your troops. Do you lose a percentage of a squad size or a fixed number of troops? Now, I'm getting twisted. I'll leave that up to others to analyse.

MinervaOz

Enchanter
Yes, that's correct. Think of it as increasing cost rather than difficulty.