• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Space.... and the ancient wonders

Kerzone

Dreamer
With new chapters coming online, 18 being released today ( and more in the pipeline) I'd like to raise the issue of the constant demand for space.

There are many demands on space, from housing and resource production through to culture and chapter specific buildings. One of my big bug-bears is the amount of space given over to the Ancient wonders. Including the new chapter you will need 768squares of space just for Ancient wonders, this will have to be taken out of the available 4225 squares that are available with all the expansions. Each expansion gives 25 spaces.

So rather than having each Ancient wonder building in the city, why can the games designers not just have them on the clifts, where they automatically appear when you have built them anyway. This would save so much space and allow us to take advantage of all the decorative elements that are available, and truly make our cities a thing of beauty.

This would also solve the issue of every Fellowship Adventure, where you are constantly lifting buildings in order to build workshops or lvl 1 goods manufacturing just to take part in the FA, at the moment if you want to use the space that has an Ancient Wonder on, then you have to sell it, losing all the resources that have been piled into it.

I also like to collect the event buildings, with space being so tight, these sometimes have to be lifted and then there is just not enough space to put them back with the next chapter.... so surely giving us more space, is a good thing.

Julian

Sorcerer
I'm sure we all moan at the lack of space. But it is always going to be part of the challenge of the game. Even if you had the space to place all wonders, you wouldn't have any more KP to level them.

Pauly7

Magus
Many people used to build most of the Ancient Wonders, (although even back in the day there were several that weren't worth the space), but since the current formula for calculating tournament squad size has been implemented, most people are really thinking hard about which AWs to place, as many can be detrimental to your progress.

So I find this comment to be a strange one...
Including the new chapter you will need 768squares of space just for Ancient wonders
You don't need to build any at all, and to be optimum you would probably need less than half of that.

Kerzone

Dreamer
I only started playing last year, so just up to chapter 8. so far the only Ancient wonder that i've found to be a complete waste of space is the Thrones of the High Men. The rest all give some bonus towards progression, whether that's additional resources, KP or health & damage for troops. But i've stayed away from most of the cultural buildings that can be unlocked and built as they just don't give enough, especially the ones that need diamonds to build.

But its such a nightmare having to re-organise the layout every chapter to cope with bigger buildings or ones that change orientation. i get that space is supposed to be part of the limiting factor to stop people rushing on, but if you do build all the Ancient wonders, then you end up with zero space for anything else but the basic buildings, no culture, no open spaces, no style just jam-packed buildings.

Pauly7

Magus
so far the only Ancient wonder that i've found to be a complete waste of space is the Thrones of the High Men. The rest all give some bonus towards progression, whether that's additional resources, KP or health & damage for troops.
Right, and that used to be the way to look at it. However, what you may not fully appreciate is that since they changed the formula, each extra AW level you have in your city increases the tournament / spire squad size and increases the resource cost. Therefore if you are not 100% that adding any AW level will give you a direct tournament or spire advantage, then it may well not be a good idea.

Of course it depends on your playstyle what the best ones and worst ones will be and whether you even play the tournaments. For example, if you fight encounters then Sanctuary / Martial Monastery would be a great AW to own and upgrade, but if you always cater encounters, then adding an extra level to a Martial Monastery will only push up that catering cost.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I'm sure we all moan at the lack of space. But it is always going to be part of the challenge of the game. Even if you had the space to place all wonders, you wouldn't have any more KP to level them.

if you had 5 times the space, the same comment would pop up 6 months for now as all that space is already build with new shiny buildings.
It's a neverending story.

And you would need a PC with 32GB RAM or a phone with 10GB RAM
Aka an issue for 99% of the playerbase.

One of the reasons they give away expansions sparcely is this ram issue. In the past (dwarven chapter ect) we got loads of space each chapter but that quickly created memory issues so they have chopped it down, last 5 chapters we get a little bit more room again each chapter.

Most likely because time made people upgrade to better hardware so there is some wiggle room again.

QFol2

Conjurer
But its such a nightmare having to re-organise the layout every chapter to cope with bigger buildings or ones that change orientation.

But that's half the fun!

Sadly the Wonders aren't actually on the cliffs - there are no buildings shown on the cliffs in the app at all (unless that's changed and I just haven't noticed).

CrazyWizard

Shaman
But that's half the fun!

Sadly the Wonders aren't actually on the cliffs - there are no buildings shown on the cliffs in the app at all (unless that's changed and I just haven't noticed).
Cliff wonders were quickly abandoned, it souded nice on paper but it became quickly apparent that it was a dumb idea in the first place.
How would you place dozens of wonders on the edges.

Thats why "newer wonders" unlock avatars instead. (and yes golden abbys is a younger wonder it was added to the game later, the first wonders in game ever where the dwarven wonders)

Deleted User - 1634960

Thats why "newer wonders" unlock avatars instead. (and yes golden abbys is a younger wonder it was added to the game later, the first wonders in game ever where the dwarven wonders)
Ancient Wonders were introduced in October, 2015, and the announcement included only the Racial Wonders of Chapter IV. However, Dwarves first visited Elvenar at the beginning of that month, so the Dwarven Wonders may have been included. The racial Wonders were just in time for me not to have to go back to complete the Technology. ;)

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Ancient Wonders were introduced in October, 2015, and the announcement included only the Racial Wonders of Chapter IV. However, Dwarves first visited Elvenar at the beginning of that month, so the Dwarven Wonders may have been included. The racial Wonders were just in time for me not to have to go back to complete the Technology. ;)
You are indeed somewhat correct,

Both racial and dwarven where released at the same time. this is the picture from that announcement
1620292410431.png

The red circles are the bell tower and sanctuary in the background,
Mountain Halls (also background) and bullwark (in city) are circled in blue

Guess we where both semi correct and wrong ;)

My main point was that the early wonders with an avatar where a later additions to the game and not part of the original release.