• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Smog

Sir Derf

Adept
Have an idea for an unusual effect, but I'm not coming up with a full set of mechanics and story that I like. Still, wanted to share...

The idea is that the building produces smoke while it is doing whatever it is that it does. The smoke extends beyond the boundaries of the building itself, and any building that is covered by the smoke is unable to have finished goods collected from it. Maybe prevent it from being upgraded, too.

I can't decide if the smoke should expand over time or not, or if it could shift its position over time. I can't decide if variations should be frequent and so just a minor annoyance, or slow and a bigger impediment. Maybe it would make a plume that would gradually change direction, so you would be less able to place the building in an area with few production buildings around it.

Julian

Sorcerer
I think that would be a fundamental redesign of the game. But it would make it a more interesting and challenging game. There's plenty of other things you could do like that. Boggy ground that you have to drain etc.

Solanix

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
@Sir Derf I am always amazed about your ideas. After all those buildings you suggested to make playing the game easier, you are now coming up with something that makes it more difficult? Apart from that, the loading times of the game might get out of hand a bit with that feature.

Alcaro

Necromancer
Have an idea for an unusual effect, but I'm not coming up with a full set of mechanics and story that I like. Still, wanted to share...

The idea is that the building produces smoke while it is doing whatever it is that it does. The smoke extends beyond the boundaries of the building itself, and any building that is covered by the smoke is unable to have finished goods collected from it. Maybe prevent it from being upgraded, too.
Maybe I got it wrong, but why would I want a building which is stopping me from collecting stuff or upgrade it?

Sir Derf

Adept
Obviously, that's the down side to something with an up side. Like I said, I couldn't really come up with a good justification for it, either...

Sir Derf

Adept
Also (I read the posts out of order...) I don't necessarily come up with ideas to make playing the game easier. Read some of my older suggestions. Sometimes, I'm trying to make parallels to other existing things. Sometimes, I'm just trying to come up with a visually interesting thing. Or an interesting game mechanic. They're not all winners, though, I'll admit...

Deleted User - 341074

Maybe I got it wrong, but why would I want a building which is stopping me from collecting stuff or upgrade it?
Presumably, because it also does something awesome.

Like the smog could have serious negative effects UNLESS it is fed- then it becomes a positive effect.

Giraffi

Enchanter
Seeing as a building with a known negative effect won’t be placed, it will need a very big positive side too, like a reduction in the usual spire and tournament requirement.

Gargon667

Mentor
Thinking of the Lord of the Rings: Smoke would be something produced by Orcs bruning too many trees... So maybe Orc Nests can produce smoke? Don´t the also have a BBQ place ;)
Even better We need a whole new orcs race to play (I beleive I suggested that before). Maybe smoke can be the downside to balance out the Orcs superior intelligence? (errrr right, maybe not)