• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Should mods make a note when they edit/move a post?

Should mods make a note when they edit/move a post?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser1316

Hi oldskoolrx7 -

On behalf of the forum moderation team, I would like to say that moderators are required to message the user when a post has been edited. You also have the ability to see when the edit took place by looking at the bottom right of your post.

a833fa9351.png

The only time I do not message is when I am merging multiple posts - shows as an edit but nothing was removed, as you can tell by simply glancing over your post.

As always, if you have a question after seeing that one of your posts has the edit mark on it and you did not receive a message or notification, you are more than welcome to message me and I will look into it and get back with you. :)

DeletedUser

Hi oldskoolrx7 -

On behalf of the forum moderation team, I would like to say that moderators are required to message the user when a post has been edited. You also have the ability to see when the edit took place by looking at the bottom right of your post.

a833fa9351.png

The only time I do not message is when I am merging multiple posts - shows as an edit but nothing was removed, as you can tell by simply glancing over your post.

As always, if you have a question after seeing that one of your posts has the edit mark on it and you did not receive a message or notification, you are more than welcome to message me and I will look into it and get back with you. :)

Thanks for the info! I will take it as both information and gentle chastisement for not asking directly, duly accepted!
I think having to look at the edit section is a little different to having something in the actual post. I don't generally notice if something has been edited, however I don't know if that is common or not..?

DeletedUser1316

Thanks for the info! I will take it as both information and gentle chastisement for not asking directly, duly accepted!

No chastisement at all, I'm actually glad that you brought it up as there have been several members wondering our protocol for editing posts.

The best method is always to PM a moderator, we are here to help after all. Most players think we enjoy editing posts or having to issue warnings, we do not. We like a fun and friendly environment as much as you do.

I think having to look at the edit section is a little different to having something in the actual post. I don't generally notice if something has been edited, however I don't know if that is common or not..?

I know on another game that I had previously moderated for, of course it was a different forum software, it allowed us to add comments that the user could see on the post. This software only allows for us to send you a notification with a reason - which should certainly be used.

If you think us leaving comments in your posts would be best, I am sure that is something I could discuss with the forum team. :)

DeletedUser

Well, I think you should, even if it is for clarity. For instance if you removed aggressive sections and noted that, it is better than removing the offending sections and having the person feel like you are trying to change their intent/censor them.

I personally think being a mod is often a thankless and difficult job, so by no means take this as "having a go" at mods in general. I am often a culprit for getting worked up about things and no doubt (despite my best efforts!) step over the line occasionally. I react a whole lot better to "Removed due to inflammatory remarks", rather than an edit with no reason (that others can see)

DeletedUser1316

For instance if you removed aggressive sections and noted that, it is better than removing the offending sections and having the person feel like you are trying to change their intent/censor them.

I react a whole lot better to "Removed due to inflammatory remarks", rather than an edit with no reason (that others can see)

I totally agree and understand. Please do remember that if anything is removed due to aggressive behavior, language, etc; you should always receive a private message from the moderator that handled the edit. If you find yourself not getting one, feel free to message @Zanyah, or myself and we will glad look into it for you.

I will bring up the inserting comments in posts with the forum team today....whenever everyone comes online and has a cup of coffee first. :p (it's a mere 6:30am here) :D

DeletedUser1316

Hi forum posters -

Just wanted to say a big thank you to oldskoolrx7 for bringing this to our attention. The forum team has reviewed the suggestion posted above, and have come to a conclusion to adopt this method when editing posts.

This method will allow the poster to know which moderator edited, the date, and the reason for editing. From now on, you should not have any issues with contacting the relevant moderator that took the action, if any questions arise. As always, you are more than welcome to contact a Senior Moderator, or our Community Manager if you feel that such action was not required.

I'm sure a few of you have seen us out and about lately testing the new waters, I have a few examples of what you can expect to see in your post(s) when edited.

9987eba7ed.png

091abf1916.png

I hope you all will be satisfied with our decision. :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me. ;)

DeletedUser

Thanks!

Transparency is always a good thing, hopefully it doesn't bring too much extra work onto the volunteer Mods!