• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered Should Map Provinces always reduce in Difficulty with each Squad Size Research?

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Greetings, O Wise and Helpful Ones ^_^

I'm currently in mid-Dwarves with my second City, having levelled-up my first City to the end of Orcs & Goblins (and with my present and previous Cities being virtually identical in all respects, other than my current and pretty annoying lack of a fully levelled Fire Phoenix or any Bear at all...). I clearly remember, in my previous City, that every time I completed a mandatory Squad Size Tech, the difficulty level of all my non-Scouted (and visibly difficulty-marked) Map Provinces reduced itself automatically by one increment - e.g. from 'Medium' to 'Easy', or from 'Very Hard' to 'Hard'. The same effect has been true in my current City, up to the most recent mandatory Squad Size Tech (Squad Size Upgrade No.18), but now that I have completed that one (and reloaded the game several times, just in case...), it has had no effect on any of my visible, non-Scouted Map Provinces' difficulty levels.

In case precise info is needed, I've avoided Optional Squad Size Techs past Chapter IV in both Cities - namely Optional Squad Size Nos. 13, 15, and 17.

I am very sure of how this used to work, not least because I am a non-speedy, cautious player who very much dislikes spending any Troops or Goods I can strategically save or at least economise on, so I have not only closely observed how and when the various in-game difficulties, especially relating to combat, have increased, but I have intentionally held back on Scouting or completing any more Medium difficulty Provinces than have been essential either to open the next Chapter or to complete Event Quests, and I have always looked forward keenly to seeing that familiar ring of Yellow 'Medium' Map Provinces drop to the far more welcome Green 'Easy' level every time I researched each individual mandatory Squad Size, since the difference in Troops/Goods costs is significant to a player as sparing with Resources and Troops as I am, and seeing that Green ring reappear has been, until now, the cue to go on a Scouting binge and grab a Province Expansion or two - until they turn Yellow again...! :D

If this is WAI, then I suppose the game has been quietly altered during the ~9 months or so since I gave up my O&G City; but if not, I will go and bother Support about it.

Many thanks in advance for your sage advice! :)

Cheers,
~ Laurelin

Last edited:

Lelanya

Mentor
Ugh, I hear you! There are now a couple of places in the tech tree where this does not occur. I just finished Woodelf on US Winyandor, and had the same thing happen. I researched the mandatory upgrade at the end of the chapter only to find every province but one still yellow. So I made the mistake of assuming support would help me. Well. My reply was copy/pasted from the stock supply, which I loathe receiving, in my 4 years and change experience I've noticed it typically means the person replying has not read my ticket. But the gist of what I was told, is that squad size upgrade never affects the province difficulty at all! Which of course is patently false, as we both know.

DeletedUser3571

Its never been assured that doing a squad size upgrade(SSU) will take it down a category, only that you will be fighting with a larger army and so it should be easier.
It will depend on where you were before in the category, if you were at the top of the medium category (for example scouting 1 more province would get you in the hard category) than it may be that one SSU is not enough to make the province a easy, it may just be a medium but at the lower end of the category.

Gargon667

Mentor
There is no such direct effect. It just so happens quite frequently.
The effect on your squad size is always 3 times the number of the Upgrade.
The colour code is only a simplification of the relation between your and the enemy squad sizes. It depends on various factors. Like distance from your city, scouted provinces and advanced scout techs. in the end it spits out a colour code. It may be enough to do 1 upgrade to change the code or it may not be... but early on the numbers are much smaller and changes happen more often.