• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Sentient goods not balanced?

sail0r

Spellcaster
I entered Elementals a few days ago and upgraded my trader to level 3 to be able to trade sentient goods. My sentient good is Elven Tree Gum.
When I tried to trade Tree Gum I noticed the following:

People that are offering Tree Gum: 52 pages
People that are offering Moonstone: 2 pages
People that are offering Platinum: 1 (1 offer, not 1 page)

Now there is something wrong here. Statistically this should be pretty balanced. However it is not. Is there any reason for that? Does Inno have any statistics on this?

Pauly7

Magus
Yep, the balance of T4 is messed up because of Spire Library sets. The unfortunate people with a Tree Gum boost often trade with a discount.

sail0r

Spellcaster
Thank you @Pauly7 for the explanation.
Thank you @Lelanya for your interest :) I am not a mass producer of Tree Gum yet, sort of producing when I need it. I always place 3-star trades so you won't miss me :)

Pauly7

Magus
It kind of depends what it's like on your server. Before placing a batch of Tree Gum trades it can be well worth doing a search for Tree Gum and seeing what the backlog is like. If I do that I can often be looking at about 4 or 5 pages of 3* trades, then another few pages of big 2* trades. In that situation if I was to place a bunch of like for like 5,000 tree gum trades then I could be waiting a long time. If supply is exceeding demand then new 3* trades can be appearing before yours are finding their way to the top.

Gargon667

Mentor
At least the decay helps. Otherwise Tree Gum would be as bad as scrolls...

I have stopped producing my boosted Platinum and instead produce Tree Gum only. I have no problem getting rid of the Gum.

Mr.Dave

Alchemist
I am unfortunately a Tree Gum producer. Can't get any better than 1-star trades, most are a 2-to-1 difference. So I now need twice as many fully-upgraded Planks factories. Can't trade in a Steel factory (my T1 producer) for population because FAs now require lots of T1 goods, so that's a double hit. I'm building MORE Steel factories. Is anything being done to rebalance this? Right now my options are to not build guest race stuff (so no further advancement in the game), or spend all my Catalysts and lots of Relics to make Manufacturing Spells (and therefore can't contribute in FAs that burn through Catalysts to get Vision Vapor). It all seems like a very unfair roadblock. I was already having trouble trading my T2 (Scrolls) for similar reasons. I'll put scroll trades out and expect to wait 2 or 4 days. Tree Gum disappears, making my trades less valuable every night so if they don't go the first day, they never will. Not making me want to play or recommend the game.

Lelanya

Mentor
Heya @Mr.Dave
I have 5 accounts that are scroll boosted. On Winyandor I have the exact same boosts as yourself, and I have no trouble with trades although sometimes I wait for silk. My sentient trades get picked up within an hour to an hour and a half as a rule.
I do not recall seeing any of your trades, but I will offer this advice: know your market. I trade 50 to 100k at a time for all regular tiers. I trade sentients from 10 to 25k at a time, and I rarely expect trades to be taken in the final day of Spire. Otherwise, I have no real issue. I hope you solve this dilemma.

Gargon667

Mentor
I am unfortunately a Tree Gum producer. Can't get any better than 1-star trades, most are a 2-to-1 difference. So I now need twice as many fully-upgraded Planks factories. Can't trade in a Steel factory (my T1 producer) for population because FAs now require lots of T1 goods, so that's a double hit. I'm building MORE Steel factories. Is anything being done to rebalance this? Right now my options are to not build guest race stuff (so no further advancement in the game), or spend all my Catalysts and lots of Relics to make Manufacturing Spells (and therefore can't contribute in FAs that burn through Catalysts to get Vision Vapor). It all seems like a very unfair roadblock. I was already having trouble trading my T2 (Scrolls) for similar reasons. I'll put scroll trades out and expect to wait 2 or 4 days. Tree Gum disappears, making my trades less valuable every night so if they don't go the first day, they never will. Not making me want to play or recommend the game.

On our server (EN3) there is nearly never any trades up asking for tree gum for more than minutes, but I have no problem getting my tree gum trades accepted within a few hours of placing them. Just make sure you post 3 star trades. They don´t have to be hugely so, no reason to change any buildings around because of it either. Scrolls is the bigger problem I think, but again same principle applies, offer 3 star trades and they get accepted eventually unless both your neighborhood AND your FS sucks. Not much you can do about your neighborhood (except for keeping the check-mark to apply for moving), but you can always join a better FS.

Stucon

Illusionist
3* trades do not have to be hugely unfair to yourself. e.g. Offer 5010 and ask for 5000.
Don't set trades just before midnight CET as you will then get hit by the decay. Always give folk 2 or 3 hours before decay time.

Gargon667

Mentor
Don't set trades just before midnight CET as you will then get hit by the decay. Always give folk 2 or 3 hours before decay time.

It´s not midnight CET and also it doesn´t matter if you have the trades up before or after. The decay is the same no matter if the resources are in the trader or the inventory. So that is nothing to worry about.

Stucon

Illusionist
My understanding is that a 3* trade of 5010 asking for 5000 would decay by 10%
so would become a 1* trade of 4509 asking for 5000
Could you inform us of the correct time when decay happens?

Pauly7

Magus
My understanding is that a 3* trade of 5010 asking for 5000 would decay by 10%
so would become a 1* trade of 4509 asking for 5000
Could you inform us of the correct time when decay happens?
Hmm, I'd have to check this, but I thought that when a trade decays then it deducts from the other side too.

cwgiii

Shaman
Hmm, I'd have to check this, but I thought that when a trade decays then it deducts from the other side too.

Correct. Both sides decay at the same rate. So no change in star rating.

Decay happens (for me) at 11PM Eastern time. There is no true downside to place a trade just before the decay time. However, there may be a "perception" that folks are "loosing out". I do see fewer trades posted at that time, than say morning time for the East coast. I imagine a lot of folks in the US get up, grab a cup of caffine beverage, and place their main trades for the day. Personally, I tend to post in the AM, lunch, dinner, and bedtime, but it all depends for me.

Gargon667

Mentor
Correct. Both sides decay at the same rate. So no change in star rating.

Decay happens (for me) at 11PM Eastern time. There is no true downside to place a trade just before the decay time. However, there may be a "perception" that folks are "loosing out". I do see fewer trades posted at that time, than say morning time for the East coast. I imagine a lot of folks in the US get up, grab a cup of caffine beverage, and place their main trades for the day. Personally, I tend to post in the AM, lunch, dinner, and bedtime, but it all depends for me.

As a percentage of players the US is very low on EN servers, they all play on US servers of course, so whatever they do in the US has little effect on us here on EN. The highest percentage of players here would be people from the UK, followed by people that don´t have their own servers like some european countries which again is similar time zone to the UK and even South Africans again similar time zone. The second biggest group would then be Aussies I think. US not much at all.