• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Question Scouting Impact

rock stream

Scholar
From Wiki:
Hint: It is advisable to scout only the number of Provinces needed for the next chapter in the Research Tree. The cost for fighting or trading to complete the Province will increase with each newly scouted Province.

Is this a separate factor over and above the ones identified in minMax's formula? Is there any other ones outside of the formula?

Sir Derf

Adept
Are you talking about the formula for calculating the difficulty in Tourney Encounters? Because if so, I think you have overthought what this Hint is trying to say.

I believe it is simply describing that, after you scout Province 200, the cost to fight or trade to solve the eight Encounters within Province 200 is slightly more than the cost to fight or trade to solve the eight Encounters within Province 199 was. And that the 8 Encounters in Province 201 will be harder still. Etc. etc.

cwgiii

Shaman
The Orc Wall is a ring around your city where Orcs become required for scouting.

I am not quite sure, but the 6th ring seems to stick in my head as where this might begin (has been a while since I hit this). The chapter requirement to enter Chapter 8 (Orcs & Goblins) is 160 provinces. The requirement for the following chapter (Woodelves) is 190 provinces. So, the limit is probably somewhere between. Regardless, it is advisable to try and limit your scouting to be in the range of the chapter-to-chapter requirements.

In order to produce Orcs to satisfy this requirement, you need to upgrade your Armory(s) to Breeding Grounds. Certain structures can also be crafted in the MA, or won during events that produce Orcs as well.

cwgiii

Shaman
Just glancing through the forum search results, I am seeing 220 provinces as a number associated with the wall. Just be aware that the wall is out there, so you are not caught off guard.

rock stream

Scholar
The full Wiki hint (my bad): "Hint: It is advisable to scout only the number of Provinces needed for the next chapter in the Research Tree. The cost for fighting or trading to complete the Province will increase with each newly scouted Province. And in later Provinces, you will need Orcs to be able to "negotiate" (produced in Armories level 20 and above)."

It does not mention the orc wall until after the fact..."And in later Provinces..."
So, is this still accurate..."The cost for fighting or trading to complete the Province will increase with each newly scouted Province."
I do not see this consideration in minMax's formula.

Sir Derf

Adept
I repeat my initial question - which minMax formula are you talking about? Are you talking about a formula that computes the costs of negotiating or fighting the 8 Encounters in a scouted Province, or a formula for the costs of negotiating or fighting the 6 Rounds of the various Provinces of a single resource accessible during a Tourney?

It will be a lot easier for us to explain if this is considered in minMax's formula if you will identify the formula in question.

rock stream

Scholar
Slowly the dim light shines. I'm talking about the costs in a scouted province. minMax formula is about the cost increases in the spire and tourneys as effect by:
maxB – maximum unlocked boost percentage for T1/T2/T3 goods
M – total number of unlocked mandatory tech items (research)
A – total number of AW levels (including currently upgrading)
V – number of placed non-premium expansions (including initial 6)
P – number of placed premium expansions

SpaceCowboy

Soothsayer
The Orc Wall is a ring around your city where Orcs become required for scouting.
Do you perhaps mean "required for negotiating"? Because I'm at 440 provinces, and so far the only requirement for scouting is gold.

BonnyGwen

Spellcaster
To scout a province you need gold. To complete a province you need to finish all its encounters and to do that you need ever increasing amounts of gold, supplies, goods, orcs, mana, etc to negotiate the encounters or more/stronger troops to fight the encounters.
I think it would be a good idea to have an additional type of scout (an ambassador or diplomat) that can scout previously completed provinces so we can revisit those encounters again. In chap 19 there's a quest that requires you to have 600 provinces completed. To scout a single province takes me over 6 days now.

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
Slowly the dim light shines. I'm talking about the costs in a scouted province. minMax formula is about the cost increases in the spire and tourneys as effect by:
maxB – maximum unlocked boost percentage for T1/T2/T3 goods
M – total number of unlocked mandatory tech items (research)
A – total number of AW levels (including currently upgrading)
V – number of placed non-premium expansions (including initial 6)
P – number of placed premium expansions
One question. In the case of maxB (maximun unocked boost percentage), a mountain halls elevate that number by its effect ?

Turing

Bard
One question. In the case of maxB (maximun unocked boost percentage), a mountain halls elevate that number by its effect ?

Minmax's formula says yes, but only up to a maximum of 700% anyway, which would be the maximum without MH. So in practice no.

IIRC somewhere he said it's hard to test if the MH does increase it if you haven't already got 700% relic boost - because few people have the MH upgraded much then. By the time the MH is upgraded, the boost is already at 700% and it doesn't then affect the costs

SkyRider99

Mentor
I want a diplomat... So then I can keep claiming diplomatic immunity!
Nice! Perhaps during the diplomat's visits we could be exempt from Trader fees. Or our tournament costs could be reduced. Or both. I don't want to appear greedy though. :p