• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Rotation of buildings

DeletedUser363

This, however, is the comment from the mods about it:-

Amy Steele said:
Will it be possible to rotate buildings? It would make easier to build my city.
This is a question we actually receive quite often. Now, the short answer is no. But here is why. Every city builder needs features that make placing buildings challenging. In Elvenar, this challenge comes mainly from two sources: The one is that most buildings need a street connection, and the other is that every building has a fixed shape. The combination of this makes it challenging to build an efficient city. Of course, the downside of every challenge is that sometimes it feels like a burden. If you could rotate the buildings, this would make things much easier. But the downside of a low challenge is: when it gets too easy, it also gets boring quite fast. So, since this "city puzzling" is a core mechanic in Elvenar, we never implemented any technical base to make it possible to rotate building.

So we'll never get it, just have to have all buildings in the same directions......good job real city planners don't have that, it would make villages a lot more interesting if you could rotate, and not make the game easier. Don't they realise people are bored anyway, I've got my 3rd fs member about to leave because of the Orcs, and that when you get there it is soooo slow you are constantly boredo_O :D

DeletedUser1775

More than rotation of buildings, i would much rather have the ability to temporarily store buildings while we re-arrange stuff, much like the current location where building prizes are store before use them. That would save A LOT of time and headache, especially when we are dealing with residence shape change with different orientation.

DeletedUser363

More than rotation of buildings, i would much rather have the ability to temporarily store buildings while we re-arrange stuff, much like the current location where building prizes are store before use them. That would save A LOT of time and headache, especially when we are dealing with residence shape change with different orientation.

Yep, that would be really helpful:)

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Well for the first time I heared them talk positively about it on the live chat.
The whole We want you to puzzle was off course a lame excuse.

They would like to add rotation, it's just that they have to redo ALL the buildings for that, and it's simply to much work.
as far as I could understand behind the lines they said, the main problem is essentially (besides the work needed to make it rotate) that all the buildings have only textures on the visible sides. that means if you rotate a building now, you would look at the "invisible" side of a building since those invisible walls do not have |paint" on them.

therefore it shall never be implemented, since as the game progresses the workload needed to get this working will only increase and increase and increase.

DeletedUser1925

Well for the first time I heared them talk positively about it on the live chat.
The whole We want you to puzzle was off course a lame excuse.

They would like to add rotation, it's just that they have to redo ALL the buildings for that, and it's simply to much work.
as far as I could understand behind the lines they said, the main problem is essentially (besides the work needed to make it rotate) that all the buildings have only textures on the visible sides. that means if you rotate a building now, you would look at the "invisible" side of a building since those invisible walls do not have |paint" on them.

therefore it shall never be implemented, since as the game progresses the workload needed to get this working will only increase and increase and increase.

What are you talking about "re-doing?" Even windows paint have rotation options. I'm sure their super duper elite program have rotation options too... They can afford it since you have to spend 200 eur on the game if you want 1 building!

This is an easier job then adding new content + fixing existing bugs (which they like to ignore... they rather tell you to contact support).

Edit: Zanyah - 2016-08-14 - removed inappropriate words.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrazyWizard

Shaman
did you even read, there is no texture for the building. it's like when going to the amusement park, the parts you see look like solid stone towers, but if you look backstage it's just concrete (with on the visible side some stone slabs pasted on to it)

Or on a stage, the parts you see look solid, but on the back it's just a wood framy with gypsum slapped on it. the back is something only actors see do why waste the effort.

It's similar with elvenar, the parts you see in game are the parts with fake stones on it. but when you rotate the 3d model, you just see a bunch of concrete. since you could not see the part as a customer anyway, they never took time to properly paint them.

That means all models in game need to be completly repainted. literally everthing, the base map, every tree, every rock on it, every building and each of there levels, every animation, everything!!!

So no it is in no way as easy as you imagine (assuming they actually use 3d models to generate buildings and maps and did not take the even quicker "flat a4 paper" approach. that would even mean rebuilding every building as well from scratch.

In have seen taking this approach only once and that was in runescape, that had only 10m unique users.
I am sure they at the elvenar team would be happy if they could just reach 1/10 of that amount of customers.

firerock

Enchanter
I'd settle for a layout editor that you can plan a city in and you can only implement it if all buildings are placed.

That's much easier to do, I don't bother upgrading a lot of stuff as I have a life and just CANNOT WASTE the time trying to do it manually, its not challenging its a STOOOOPID waste of time.