• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Already Suggested Rotating buildings

• Thread starter DeletedUser5363
  • Start date

DeletedUser5363

Hi all.

Does anyone also think that being able to rotate buildings to save space is a good idea/

Merry Christmas all.

cwgiii

Shaman
I agree that it would be great (for many reasons). But the devs have indicated a few times that this will not happen (for various reasons).

Timneh

Artisan
I agree that it would be great (for many reasons). But the devs have indicated a few times that this will not happen (for various reasons).

The main reason being that they don't want to make it easy (according to Timon in a live Q&A)

DeletedUser5460

I have just read the same thing on Gemsofknowledge, tho i have an alternative suggestion i hope gets serious consideration. First a couple points, this game was made to make money and the more members it has, the more money it makes. Frustration is a "Negative" gaming experience. I guarantee in the early stages of the game when you constantly get new bldgs and dont have enough expansions you lose players "Just" for this reason ( i know cause i was almost one of them). I believe the game could be challenging and interesting for bldg placement without being frustrating, which is what i think my suggestion should address. Quite simply i believe if we had a "Parking Lot" (just one 5x5 square) that you could use even if only for the first 3 chapters it would keep new players in the game till they can get the basic bldgs in the city and till they are more experienced in the city planning. It would "Not" be a place to permanently put a bldg, it would "Only" be for rearranging your city. To accomplish this you could have a 30 min time limit to have a bldg in it before the game puts the city back to the last full city layout. What i mean is the game could take a snapshot of your city when a player clicks on an icon to activate the parking lot then when the player is finished rearranging they would click on a "save" button, but if the save button is not activated within 30 min of parking lot activation then the game would reset the city to the snapshot. I can see somewhat the merit of the argument for not rotating bldgs tho i have played other games requiring city/castle layouts and the fact i left them eventually was "Never" cause bldg rotation made the game boring, it was "Always" because of some "frustrating feature". Please consider these side effect benefits, Something that DOES makes the game Boring is having a lot of deserted city neighbors, and i would bet that a vast majority of the players that leave the game do so in the early stage of the game, based on the deserted cities i am seeing, and last i am only suggesting this feature be available for a limited time to let the early players learn how to work with the limitations built into the city planning. Make sure they know the parking lot comes to an end at a defined spot in the research chain and it wont frustrate them into quitting so much and you keep them in the game and give the rest of the players active neighbors. :) Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Susie49

Soothsayer
I think it depends on how prepared you are to reorganise your layout. As buildings get upgraded and change size you eventually have to reorganise anyway, so imho the ability to rotate buildings is not a big issue, just another challenge :)

DeletedUser5460

My point wasnt so much to solve the rotation arguement cause i only propose a short term aid to the "challenge" (or more accurately for beginners, "Frustration"), what i am more interested in, is keeping players in the game till they learn how to cope with the organizing challenge and not chase them away in frustration when they first start playing the game, because not a Single New player is "Prepared" for this frustration or challenge. However, you make my point, give them a chance to learn to prepare and they will stay.It is a good game but look at the player standings and you will see that a huge percentage of players came to the game to try it out and left before discovering how good it is, and cause i almost left early i think it might be worth considering easing some of the frustration of organizing just till they have played the game long enough to want to stay. The point was made that if the game is too easy (cause of bldg rotation) people will get bored and leave, what members are trying to say is if the game is too frustrating people will, and DO leave, but what seems to be a common note in the players that want to rotate the bldgs, is that they are mainly early players, I made the very same suggestion when i started. I decided to stick it out a bit to see if it got better and i am glad i did but it made me realize that if we could just keep players a bit longer, many also would discover that the challenge of organizing isnt a game killer, so lets address this fixable problem and keep players in long enough to learn this. If the first 3 chapters for my suggestion is too long for you (and i agree it might be but cant blame me for trying lol) then you decide on what time line you feel will accomplish the objective. In reality i honestly believe that just to the end of the first chapter would accomplish this goal, cause thats about how long it took me to learn to cope with organising. Recognize the fact that it is early players mainly that have this issue and also that it is those same early players that are such a high percentage of the players that leave, and also that this is directly targeting keeping those early players in long enough for the game to grow on them (not to make it easy or boring for the players that stay) and accommodate the learning curve they are going through without throwing what just seems like a frustration at them. I am in chapter two so this isnt to help me play, this is to help populate the world map and get more active players in the game. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5460

Approximately one third of the entire game membership is below 500 points and 40% of the entire membership is below 1000 points, which confirms a Huge turnover in membership. I think it is wise planning to recognize that by targeting new membership issues and developing a "training period" (first chapter) would pay enormous dividends to the game in membership growth. By allowing new players to learn the game and be aware of the coming challenges after chapter one (when some privileges disappear, like parking lot), you then (as pointed out by Susie49) allow the players to prepare themselves somewhat to manage the issues making what is now a frustration into just the challenge it was meant to be. Because the game then reverts to the game it is now you accomplish addressing all the issues the game has with keeping members while not really giving 'Anything" up in the game as you want it to be. Does that not sound like a reasonable and wise development for future consideration upgrade? Again, you are giving up Nothing while addressing All of the issues. :) Well thats all i have to say on this, what you decide is final and i will not comment (unless asked) on whatever you decide. Thanks, Have a great day :)

DeletedUser3097

Thank you for your idea @Baradana. :)

As this is unlikely to be implemented (as indicated on the Q and A videos), I'll move this thread to archive.

DeletedUser2215

I like the idea of rotating the buildings. So much space gets wasted by rigged buildings. I have never bought diamond and never will. They offered a free game that is why I started playing.