• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Rotate buildings - Wait for it :)

• Thread starter Deleted member 10929
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Many have over the years wanted to be able to rotate buildings, and i understand that the way the buildings are turned initially gives us a challenge arranging our cities - which is fine by me :)

BUT; What if it would be done with a spell like the Teleport spell, that there was a Rotation spell and every time we wanted to rotate a building, 1 spell would be needed. And it could be like how we get the Teleport spell. It should be something special and something we need to jump some hoops for - BUT, of course not to many or insane.

It would make the cities look a little bit different from each other and letting players be more creative with their designs :)

Pauly7

Magus
The problem with this is the amount of programming. The buildings aren't 3D. Essentially they're just 2D images. So in order to be able to rotate a building it would quadruple the number of building images they have to make and store.

Gargon667

Mentor
Maybe one day they will change the game from 2D to 3D, but before that I don´t see them quadrupling their building graphics for 1 simple spell to work.

DeletedUser

The problem with this is the amount of programming. The buildings aren't 3D. Essentially they're just 2D images. So in order to be able to rotate a building it would quadruple the number of building images they have to make and store.
Yes, and then they just make a 2D image of the building turning the other way. No need to turn it into real 3D.

They only thing needed is the image. They already have 3x4 and a 4x3 building, just as an example. And then switch the image :)

Aisling1

Conjurer
Don't do it.

It's scrambaling the basics. Houses/pop/ coin and workshops/ culture... and interaction between the two. These are the basics of elvenar. Add size, space, expansion.. if you change the orientation, you change the play.. All the same species, no humans or elves.. for all, in all chapters, since the beginning.. are you going to compensate those who loose with diamonds, or magic residence/workshop (which need blue print for upgrading).. yes, we can now craft blueprints... but that wasn't always the case. Maybe we should be allowed to pick our boosted?

If you do this, you need also to rethink MA, (for those who took the 2 star option - and can't upgrade) You need to re think AW's - some will be even more obsolete..
And the trader needs to become an AI.. more responsive to area, tournaments, and not just boosted. Needs to account not just for boosted, area on map, FS, but also level of each FS trader and non FS discovered trader..., and tournament - it's never done this.

We won't talk about the difference between fighting and catering expansions, tournaments, spire.. we were promised that we could trade, but as everyone knows, fighting is easier, cheaper and as armories, squad size upgrades and some military aw's are necessary.. tied into other stuff like population.. catering only is the province of those who can/want to buy - magic residence/ workshops can avoid certain otherwise necessary upgrades. They are available as rare prizes but mostly only for diamonds.

You need a long hard look at the trader.. not just map, level, but also FS.. Ideally the trader would be world wide, but FS's tend to group around players in the same trading area, also, at the same level, with maybe 2

DeletedUser

To me you're over-thinking it @Aisling1 ;)

And you cannot have read my initial post. My suggestion was that it could be done with a rare spell. Not something you could craft endlessly or buy for diamonds. It was to give the possibility to those who wants it, to rotate a building.

Thutmosse

Novice
Building rotation no, but map rotation would be helpful, when some 1x1 building (roads included) are hidden behind some greater 3x3+ building.
It would save time in moving big buildings because of 1x1 thing removal.

Pauly7

Magus
Building rotation no, but map rotation would be helpful, when some 1x1 building (roads included) are hidden behind some greater 3x3+ building.
It would save time in moving big buildings because of 1x1 thing removal.
It amounts to the same thing - The buildings and the map aren't 3 dimensional, so they would need to code four times as many 2D images. In this case they would have to also include all the background effects in the equation.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Many have over the years wanted to be able to rotate buildings, and i understand that the way the buildings are turned initially gives us a challenge arranging our cities - which is fine by me :)

BUT; What if it would be done with a spell like the Teleport spell, that there was a Rotation spell and every time we wanted to rotate a building, 1 spell would be needed. And it could be like how we get the Teleport spell. It should be something special and something we need to jump some hoops for - BUT, of course not to many or insane.

It would make the cities look a little bit different from each other and letting players be more creative with their designs :)

In the games credits are many 2d artists.

Elvenar is 2d, this means these are "paper pictures" arranged in such a way it pretends to be 3d but is just a sheet of paper.
It's therefore impossible to rotate buildings as they arent 3d.

Off course you could also rotate with 2d pictures. but this requires to redo a backlog of 5+ years of artists work to create individual 2d pictures of each side. then some coding to replace buildings to from a 2d north to a 2d East, south and west version.

Besides the back catalog it also requires forward 4x the artists time in the development phase. which they will deem way to expensive

Sir Derf

Adept
We're all overcomplicating it.

All our buildings have rectangular footprints. Functionally, building rotations only have to swap a 3x4 footprint for a 4x3 footprint. We really don't need it to have views from all four sides, especially since most buildings don't really have interesting views from behind. Who wants to have a Basic Manu where you're looking at the back of the head?

That said, I can implement the footprint flipping without adding any additional work on the part of the 2D graphic artists... Simply left-right reverse the existing graphics on any building. Take a 2x4 Mana Sawmill where the animation has giant nuts(?) rolling down upper right to lower left, reverse the graphic and it is a 4x2 Mana Sawmill rolling down upper left to lower right.

Julian

Sorcerer
Even if it were possible for inno to allow rotation for no extra work for them, I don't think they'd do it. It is a part of the challenge of the game to fit different shaped buildings with each upgrade.

Gargon667

Mentor
Oh, I agree, they wouldn't do it. Just wanted to point out that they could implement it for nearly free.
they could implement a 180 degree rotation for nearly nothing, I agree :) Maybe next April first? That would be a much funnier joke than this years :D

Sir Derf

Adept
While I assume you were writing that for the humor; just in case, I'll point out I was describing a 90 degree rotation that required no additional work by the artists or additional assets in the resource files, not a 180.