• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Battle Review difficulty of provincial combat for early chapters

• Thread starter DeletedUser1829
  • Start date

DeletedUser1829

Towns in the early chapters, approx chapters 2-4, face hard/very hard difficulty fights even if they only scout a minimum number of provinces. This problem has existed since the change to the battle system but it is even more apparent to players with the "new" difficulty rating. New players get very "frightened" when they see the sea of red provinces at such an early stage of the game, especially when they still need to complete provinces to unlock the chest at the end of the chapter.

There are 2 main reasons it is so difficult at your early stage:
  1. The enemy squad size is significantly greater than your own
  2. Lack of all the unit types so certain provinces have to be done with less than optimal units. This was addressed mostly with the addition of heavy melee troops, which is great.
If something can be done to assist with the provincial combat early on and perhaps add something to your tutorial about the importance of advanced scouts.

DeletedUser3097

Thank you for your suggestion- is there anyone else who found similar difficulties and so would support this idea?

cwgiii

Shaman
I gave up fighting almost immediately and have been happy with catering since. Never looked back.

Because of that strategy, I skipped EVERYTHING optional related to troops. That kept me focused on other priorities and has served me well SO FAR. I worry that if I decided to start fighting now, I would be so far behind that it would unbalance my city irreparably.

DeletedUser5433

I also just cater the provinces as fighting is out of the question. When you go in with a small troop and find you are fighting battles against troops that are much larger and stronger, it doesn't take much to decide to not fight. I think I've fought about five battles total of the 107 or so provinces I've scouted. If this is the norm for most players, it is an indicator that this part of the game is not fairly balanced for beginner players.

m4rt1n

Adept
I've been gradually giving fighting a go again the last few weeks, as I now find it possible to win in chapters 7 and 8. I quit fighting early on in the game as it became impossible in the earlier chapters, due to being heavily outsized by the opponent.

DeletedUser1829

You guys need some decently levelled Wonders. When the going gets tough, the tough run up their Monastery Sanctuary!!

The original post is talking about combat for chapters 2-4, not later in the game where it is balanced. There is no monastery at these chapters and at most they would have a needles of tempest which increases speed but does not address the in-balance of squad size found in the provincial world map when at or under the minimum provinces scouted.

steholl13

Seeker
I wouldn't be too O.T.T. the experience that you have is all part of the game.

Last edited:

Susie49

Soothsayer
I am currently partway thru level 4. When I joined up I used to fight encounters, and won, but I gave up fighting them some time ago as my squad size has never caught up with the enemy squad size and I always get whooped. I do not think it is my fighting skills as I manually fight and win in tournaments every time.

It is disheartening to not be able to fight encounters with any hope of winning, and I have not yet reached the AW research level that gives fighting buffs so cannot tell how much difference that would make.

Pauly7

Magus
I never did win a province fight on this game. I used to try periodically in the early chapters. I always lost so I gave up. At this point it has been months since I have seen anything other than a red province as I'm "over-explored" so there isn't any point considering getting back into it.