• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Returning feature: Challenges

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Dear Humans and Elves,

Please use this thread to discuss the Event: Returning feature: Challenges.

We're looking forward to your feedback!

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

Laurelin

Sorcerer
You wouldn't think I could drag these resurrected Challenge Events into my Inno Conspiracy Theory/ies - but you'd be mistaken... [evil laughter] :D
Still. We all need Pet Food, and I run out of Spell Fragments once/twice weekly, so the prizes - inc. Wonky Walter's 720 Fragments - will be welcome!

PS : @Jackluyt - Many thanks for posting the Challenge info here as well as on Beta (and on US, probably?). However, I've been meaning to mention a couple of things to you about images in Forum posts, if you don't mind, namely : (a) many of the images you've posted lately on the Forums, especially on Beta, are very small (as is this one), and therefore difficult or even impossible to read; and (b) even those small images are frequently replaced, after a few days online, with a 'broken image' link referencing an expired Facebook cookie [or similar piece of code].

I remember you saying that you don't use FB-hosted files any more, so I don't know why images which are not hosted on Facebook would expire due to FB-related code, unless (maybe?) you're logging into Elvenar and/or the Forums via Facebook - if that's even possible (I do know some games encourage the use of FB logins as in-game IDs)? Anyway, I thought I'd let you know what tends to happen to your Forum-posted images, although perhaps you don't see the same result yourself, depending on your own browser and/or mobile phone cookies or other temporary data.

Again, thank you for posting the Challenge Event info, regardless of any minor image-related issues. Your diligence is always much appreciated! :)

Jackluyt

Shaman
You wouldn't think I could drag these resurrected Challenge Events into my Inno Conspiracy Theory/ies - but you'd be mistaken... [evil laughter] :D
Still. We all need Pet Food, and I run out of Spell Fragments once/twice weekly, so the prizes - inc. Wonky Walter's 720 Fragments - will be welcome!

PS : @Jackluyt - Many thanks for posting the Challenge info here as well as on Beta (and on US, probably?). However, I've been meaning to mention a couple of things to you about images in Forum posts, if you don't mind, namely : (a) many of the images you've posted lately on the Forums, especially on Beta, are very small (as is this one), and therefore difficult or even impossible to read; and (b) even those small images are frequently replaced, after a few days online, with a 'broken image' link referencing an expired Facebook cookie [or similar piece of code].

I remember you saying that you don't use FB-hosted files any more, so I don't know why images which are not hosted on Facebook would expire due to FB-related code, unless (maybe?) you're logging into Elvenar and/or the Forums via Facebook - if that's even possible (I do know some games encourage the use of FB logins as in-game IDs)? Anyway, I thought I'd let you know what tends to happen to your Forum-posted images, although perhaps you don't see the same result yourself, depending on your own browser and/or mobile phone cookies or other temporary data.

Again, thank you for posting the Challenge Event info, regardless of any minor image-related issues. Your diligence is always much appreciated! :)
I suspect that the Forums automatically remove graphics after a few days, probably to save space - and if I post them big enough to be clearly visible, the admins often make them small again and send me a note reminding me of the rules. Posting under a spoiler is not a solution, because many players do not know what a spoiler is, and I prefer to post a clearly visible picture to catch the attention of casual scrollers, and to make it easier to find my post later.
If you find one of my posted graphics has vanished, you will find the original in the Media section on my FB group and almost always I also post a copy on the official Elvenar FB page. Or you can message me and I will try to find the original and send to you.

Baffa

Seeker
Is this event going ahead? there's a lot of chat in the fellowships and people have prepared...Nothing to date and it's mearing midday on the 30th...

schadenfreude

Enchanter
if I post them big enough to be clearly visible, the admins often make them small again and send me a note reminding me of the rules.
There is a file upload limit in terms of memory space of file and not resolution size, so if you meet that, it can be uploaded to forums. I forgot if it’s 2MB or 4MB, but it’s plenty to work with. If you upload a 1000x1000 image, you can use the handles to resize the DISPLAY of it on the forums to be smaller, like 400x400 or whatever rules are. But users will then be able to click the image to view the original full size image.

Baffa

Seeker
Great contest. I was wisely stocked up on timers and enchantments over the past week so have already achieved my Wonka! Thx guys, great fun! :)

Now...Is it safe to remove my workshops now or should I wait until the end of the event? I removed some in a previous event before it finished and lost a lot of prizes :oops: (rookie error I'm told:rolleyes: )

Thx Baffa

Laurelin

Sorcerer
@Baffa : I am in Ch.XII Elementals and although I like to participate - and perform as well as I can - in every Event (including Fellowship Adventures), which often necessitates using small Workshops and/or Manufactories, I very much dislike rearranging my City. For these reasons, and also because I personally find removing and replacing low-level Workshops and Manufactories tiresome, especially where City rearrangement is involved, I now permanently keep 10 x Workshops and 15 x T1 Manufactories in my City, all upgraded to their highest level before their footprint increases, both in order to maximise their output and because they look somewhat less out of place amongst higher-level buildings than they do at Level 1.

For me, playing as Elf, and taking into account best usage of small-building-appropriate space within the limits which my City layout currently affords, this means 10 x Workshops at L.4, 5 x Marble Manus at L.5, and 10 x Planks Manus (my own T1 Boost) at L.6.

This strategy has served me well over the past few Events and a couple of FAs so far, and of course has been very useful during the current Challenge, since the 10 x L.4 Workshops have been producing Toolboxes, thus taking much of the strain, as it were, without my needing to dedicate my 7 x Chapter-level Workshops to such long productions - which I would find unaffordable because I need a lot of Supplies to build Troops.

That said, and as you can see, this strategy is built around (a) the fact that I dislike rearranging my City (while of course there are others who love it, and many who don't really mind), and (b) my personal City build plus my overall gameplay style, which is both slow-progressing (I spend many months in each Chapter, so high-speed/volume Resource/Guest Race production isn't a concern) and highly Combat-focused - and so my strategy may not suit many others at all. However, in terms of being 'ready for anything' (within reason!), it works quite well - even though 'min-maxers' would certainly argue that devoting a fair bit of my City space, all the time, to low-productivity, low-level buildings isn't exactly efficient, to say the least...! :)

NB : A further reason why I've adopted this 'perma-low-level-buildings' strategy is that there is no doubt in my mind that Events of old and new types (including Fellowship Adventures) will become no less frequent in future, and may well - in my opinion, certainly will - become more frequent, perhaps even to the point where more than one is going on all the time (as is the case in many large mobile games in Elvenar's genre).

Baffa

Seeker
@Baffa : I am in Ch.XII Elementals and although I like to participate - and perform as well as I can - in every Event (including Fellowship Adventures), which often necessitates using small Workshops and/or Manufactories, I very much dislike rearranging my City. For these reasons, and also because I personally find removing and replacing low-level Workshops and Manufactories tiresome, especially where City rearrangement is involved, I now permanently keep 10 x Workshops and 15 x T1 Manufactories in my City, all upgraded to their highest level before their footprint increases, both in order to maximise their output and because they look somewhat less out of place amongst higher-level buildings than they do at Level 1.

For me, playing as Elf, and taking into account best usage of small-building-appropriate space within the limits which my City layout currently affords, this means 10 x Workshops at L.4, 5 x Marble Manus at L.5, and 10 x Planks Manus (my own T1 Boost) at L.6.

This strategy has served me well over the past few Events and a couple of FAs so far, and of course has been very useful during the current Challenge, since the 10 x L.4 Workshops have been producing Toolboxes, thus taking much of the strain, as it were, without my needing to dedicate my 7 x Chapter-level Workshops to such long productions - which I would find unaffordable because I need a lot of Supplies to build Troops.

That said, and as you can see, this strategy is built around (a) the fact that I dislike rearranging my City (while of course there are others who love it, and many who don't really mind), and (b) my personal City build plus my overall gameplay style, which is both slow-progressing (I spend many months in each Chapter, so high-speed/volume Resource/Guest Race production isn't a concern) and highly Combat-focused - and so my strategy may not suit many others at all. However, in terms of being 'ready for anything' (within reason!), it works quite well - even though 'min-maxers' would certainly argue that devoting a fair bit of my City space, all the time, to low-productivity, low-level buildings isn't exactly efficient, to say the least...! :)

NB : A further reason why I've adopted this 'perma-low-level-buildings' strategy is that there is no doubt in my mind that Events of old and new types (including Fellowship Adventures) will become no less frequent in future, and may well - in my opinion, certainly will - become more frequent, perhaps even to the point where more than one is going on all the time (as is the case in many large mobile games in Elvenar's genre).
Thank you so much for a very detailed response. I'm only at level 4 and been playing for a few months so any advice is welcome. I was lucky enough in this instance to get 2 city expansions (research and province) within a day, so it was not too much trouble rearranging...a bit like playing Tetris ..so to speak. That said, I was happy to receive the Wonka prize within 20 hours, and will now remove my space hungry, low productivity. workshops. :)

rowena656

Adventurer
Nice to see this challange back, a little short.
As an extra challenge to keep things interesting how about a prize to be awarded to the player that post the most medals.
Keep the prizes the same as they are now but have no upper limit to how many can be posted, and have a secret prize to be awarded at the end of challenge.