• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Repeatable Quests - Exploit?

DeletedUser

Yesterday I noticed that the repeatable quests I'm having are completely exploitable by simply declining and accepting the quests in the order of my choosing and completing them however many times I like. To give you a picture of what I mean I'll explain in detail:

I'm just past the halfway point in chapter 2.

Available repeatable quests:
  • "More Coins": Collect 5000 coins; Reward: 500 supplies
  • "Better Buildings": Upgrade any building to rank 4+; Reward: 10k coins + 1000 supplies
  • "More Supplies": Collect 500 supplies; Reward: 10k coins
  • "Solve Encounters in the World": Solve 3 encounters; Reward: 7k coins + 900 supplies
  • "Having Planks": Gain 40 planks; Reward: 6k coins + 600 supplies
  • "Using Strengths: Steel": Gain 100 steel; Reward: 20k coins
  • "Having Marble": Gain 40 marble; Reward: 6k coins + 600 supplies
  • "Complete a Province": Complete a province; Reward: 10k coins + 500 supplies
After a 9 hour production cycle of coins, supplies and goods I can complete "More Coins" 15 times, "More Supplies" 9 times and "Using strengths: Steel" 7 times. That adds up to 230k coins and 7.5k supplies that I'm gaining by just flipping through the repeatable quests an unlimited number of times within about 10 minutes.

In addition, every 30 mins (Assuming I'm online every 15mins), I can gain further 30k coins through collecting supplies, and every 3 hours another 60k coins through collecting steel.

How is this not an exploit? I mean - save for the population - I don't need residences to make coins... With my rank 6 Main Hall giving me 1.4k coins per support of a neighbour/fellowship member - that's another 12 times I can complete "More Coins" and gather additional free 6000 supplies per day.

Tell me I'm not abusing the system here. I certainly feel like I am. :eek:

P.S.: This is obviously exploitable for multi-account users if they invest all the coins and supplies into the wholesaler and... You get the picture.

EDIT: I should also mention that through the two repeatable quests "Having planks" and "Having Marble" I can buy these non-boosted goods from the Wholesaler for just 25% the cost! That's 40 marble or planks for just 2000 coins and 200 supplies instead of 8000 coins and 800 supplies.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thanks Prendyo! Don't know how I managed to miss those threads, as I know repeatable quests have been discussed throughout the forums already and thus searched for them... Obviously not very well. :oops:

I still feel like I'm doing something wrong using these quests though. I mean, since last night when I decided to decline one of these quests for the first time and see for myself if they really do repeat instantly and infinitely, I've made probably about 1000k coins and loads of supplies. I've completely solved 9 provinces within the last 24 hours (#25-34 for me), used the wholesaler the entire time to acquire the goods for negotiating and haven't lost a single coin or supply while doing so. In fact: I've probably made about 600k additional coins during the process. Should also mention that these quests made it possible for me to research 5.5 techs since last night (that's a total cost of 176 KP).

In all seriousness - these quests make the game so easy I'm almost afraid my account is going to be banned because of exploitation. I've jumped from about rank 400 to 250 on Winyandor since last night too. Crazy...:confused:

DeletedUser277

Yes, for very active players, such as yourself, the repeatable quest system really does speed the game along. believe me, you are not the only one doing this, as I hope you understood from the discussions I linked, so don't feel bad ;) I personally make extensive use of it to very satisfactory effect!

However, these quests will change, both as you progress in your tech and also they have been subject to a few changes in recent updates and will continue to be tweaked and rebalanced. Therefore, my advice is 'make hay whilst the sun shines' and exploit them whilst you can, but don't plan your city around their continued existence and generosity. As others have found previously, it is a frustrating process to have to totally change and rebuild your city when the quests do eventually change, as they will.

DeletedUser

However, these quests will change, both as you progress in your tech and also they have been subject to a few changes in recent updates and will continue to be tweaked and rebalanced.

About that part: I'm still stuck on the "The Barracks" main storyline quest from the middle of chapter one. As I refuse to build a barracks, especially when I wouldn't be able to delete it afterwards, I'm not sure whether the repeatable quests will ever change. I've had them for over a week now - ever since I stopped doing the main storyline quests. That made me think I might have accidentally triggered an exploitable set of events as I'm capable of completing these repeatable quests far too quickly imho.

Guess I might as well consider myself lucky though and follow your advice: 'make hay whilst the sun shines'. ;)

Deleted User - 50840

Your repeatable quest won't change untill you advance the main quest line into the next chapter (Except if the devs change them). But you may come to a point where doing your RQ's as they are now will become a chore instead of a enjoyable experience... When that happens then you can consider advancing your main quest line.

DeletedUser437

About that part: I'm still stuck on the "The Barracks" main storyline quest from the middle of chapter one. As I refuse to build a barracks, especially when I wouldn't be able to delete it afterwards, I'm not sure whether the repeatable quests will ever change. I've had them for over a week now - ever since I stopped doing the main storyline quests. That made me think I might have accidentally triggered an exploitable set of events as I'm capable of completing these repeatable quests far too quickly imho.

Guess I might as well consider myself lucky though and follow your advice: 'make hay whilst the sun shines'. ;)

Later in chapter 2 you will get repeatable quest which ask you to train 30 units for 15k coins. It will be 2 minutes for one weak axe barbarian/sword dancer, so its 15k in 60 minutes.

Deleted User - 13667

Some of the repeatable quests makes no sense at all.

I keep getting the following

1. Upgrade residence to level 9 and above
2. Upgrade manufactory to level 9 and above
3. Upgrade workshop to level 9 and above.
4. Complete a province
5. Collect 4 relics
6. Gather 2500 goods

Most of my buildings have a much higher level. Never got much out of the quests since I was stuck with mandatory quests till recently

Deleted User - 50840

Regarding points 1 to 3: Upgrading the residence / manufactory / workshop to ANY level from 8 upwards completes the quest, so upgrading from 8 - 9 or for ex. 14 - 15. If you stagger your buildings so that they finish 3 - 4 minutes after the other you can cycle through your quests so that each building will complete with the appropriate quest.

Point 4: Nice if you have allready completed 7 of 8 encounters in a province. Can be done via fighting or negotiating. Gives the highest reward for any (encounter) quest per encounter.

Point 5: The same as the "Solve 4 encounters" quest except the rewards are balanced in favor of coins. Both "Collect 4 relics" and "Solve 4 encounters" are usefull for players that negotiate the majority of their encounters. For fighters it is better to use the "Fight and win 3 encounters" quest

Point 6: Can be completed by picking up your goods after a 3 or 9 hour production or by trading that amount of goods. Usefull if you cannot complete the separate gain x amount of tier 1, 2 or 3 quests.

I hope the above explanation helps

DeletedUser

Your repeatable quest won't change untill you advance the main quest line into the next chapter (Except if the devs change them). But you may come to a point where doing your RQ's as they are now will become a chore instead of a enjoyable experience... When that happens then you can consider advancing your main quest line.
Truth be told, I have no intention of continuing the main quest line at all currently. Once I've built the barracks it won't take long until I start to receive quests to train units, etc. So what's the point if I don't use them or require building an armoury that I'll never use either? Such has been questioned by the community quite thoroughly and I've stated my opinion in the appropriate thread(s) to it so I won't add it to it here. I'm sure you understand my point regardless.

As for the RQ's becoming a chore: they already are - I have no illusion there. Currently I'm cycling through the entire RQ's about 25-35 times after a 9 hour production cycle in the morning, spending about 20 minutes on them until I've gathered all my coins for example (where one residence completes one quest on its own). Should I make the most efficient use of these quests - I can spend all day in front of the computer cycling through these quests literally non-stop. When ever I'm online I buy goods from the wholesaler using the appropriate quests in stacks of 40 for just 25% the usual price. Despite countless, continuous upgrades ranks 5+, conquering nearly 20 provinces, and buying about 10k basic goods from the wholesaler just to name a few of the more costly things I did the last 3 days my stored supplies have doubled from 30k to 60k and the coins gone from 300k to 900k. Have upgraded the main hall from rank 5 to 8 in those days because I can't use up my resources fast enough. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

I'm probably just going to stop using the RQ's soon with exception of the acquiring goods quests. It's too time consuming and the game has really just become an endless loop of "the faster you click - the quicker you gain". These quests I have are simply far too exploitable. (period)

Later in chapter 2 you will get repeatable quest which ask you to train 30 units for 15k coins. It will be 2 minutes for one weak axe barbarian/sword dancer, so its 15k in 60 minutes.
As I won't be building a barracks any time soon - I won't get those 15k/hour. But I'm getting about 850k per day anyhow... Which is far more than I can normally spend...

Deleted User - 50840

I'm probably just going to stop using the RQ's soon with exception of the acquiring goods quests. It's too time consuming and the game has really just become an endless loop of "the faster you click - the quicker you gain"
Very good idea :) Make your city to be self sustainable in both coins and supplys and use the RQ's only for when you want the proverbial "cherry on top" Makes it a lot more fun :)

DeletedUser

Yeah, that's a good point Duke. I'd argue my city is self sustainable, just at a slower pace. It's hard to simply ignore how much more efficient it becomes when you just happen to do the right quests in the right order however. xD

This is the first time I've encountered an online game where the game is that easy without it being against the rules or deemed an exploit. It's an odd feeling when you have to force yourself to not play the game to gain the biggest reward. Then again... The reward is just a matter of perspective isn't it?

DeletedUser

Hopefully the developers will drop the other shoe, once they've established that the mid-game is appropriately balanced, and will allow us to decline a repeatable quest any number of times, but actually DO them only once every 23 hours.

For the moment, I suspect that the repeatable quests are being used to monitor the frustration level of the folks who are bogged down somewhere in the middle of their tech tree.

Deleted User - 13667

I think it would be best to refrain from giving mandatory quests all together.

Rather it could be better to give some points for each quest completed then with a certain number of points the tech tree may be advanced into next chapter or maybe give some city expansion. Just saying

DeletedUser

I agree that some mandatory quests are really annoying, especially when they force you to build/upgrade things you do not want.

Deleted User - 13667

As I have mentioned, I got stuck with mandatory quests since I cant clear any of it at the early stages until recently.

And the cyclical quests to continuously build when all the buildings are done up, is simply annoyance.

DeletedUser

I know I stated above that I wouldn't go into detail about why I choose not to build a barracks - but I'm going to have to take that back. s5carrot has a very good point about mandatory quests being an issue and while it has been discussed numerous times in other threads, I believe I need to make a statement here in regards to my current situation with these repeatable quests that I won't be getting rid of any time soon.

In my honest opinion, progressing further through the storyline and completing quests is as much a key aspect of this game as the trading of goods, exploring the map and of course - building one's city. The choice not to build a barracks however, is based on a very simple philosophy of mine: This isn't a PvP game, so I don't need to fight, and I certainly don't need to defend. It's my way of making a stand and demanding (yes - the time for asking is over!) that players need to be able to choose whether they want military buildings in their city or not, never mind whether they want to use the battle system or not.

In my 'stubborn' refusal, I'm probably never going to progress through the storyline further. That is a shame, as I enjoy a good story, but it's not the end of the world. Forcing players to militarise a peaceful game world is!

How does that relate to the repeatable quests that this thread is actually about? I'm at the point where these quests are nothing less than exploitations of this game. They aren't fun any more and they aren't necessary (at least not in terms of being infinitely repeatable throughout the day). The only option I have not to take advantage of these exploits is by refusing to do quests all together. That means taking something away from this game that I actually enjoy doing - but can't any longer because it just isn't right. Neither the militarising of this peaceful city builder, nor exploiting these quests.

DeletedUser

In my 'stubborn' refusal, I'm probably never going to progress through the storyline further.
You could "punish yourself" by building an armory JUST for the quest, and then immediately tearing it down,
without compromising your principles (very much :p).

Deleted User - 50840

You could "punish yourself" by building an armory JUST for the quest
He is talking about refusing to build the barracks (which cannot be sold). Not an armory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 13667

Mandatory quests are only dictating how I should build the city. If there was a better storyline, the quests would have been more meaningful (and hopefully fruitful too.)

I did built armories only to tear them down later since there were 2 mandatory quests blocking me. Its a waste of resources