• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

relocating unlocked expansions

AuroraBolt

Seeker
Are we able to atleast relocate an expansion and move it to another part of the city? And if not, what about the premium expansions that have been paid for with real currency? That should be both an exclusive and an incentive to get the premium expansions. And to add to that, the premium expansion makes the difficulty level of the fighting equation....lower....not higher. That would be great...ta :D

Pauly7

Magus
And to add to that, the premium expansion makes the difficulty level of the fighting equation....lower....not higher. That would be great...ta :D
Well that's true, but it will never happen. When they originally implemented the new tournament formula the premium expansions had exactly the same impact as the standard ones. Eventually, after a lot of public opinion, they amended it so that they have a smaller impact than the normal ones.

It would be great to be able to move an expansion. I don't think they would ever let you remove one altogether, though, if that's what you were hoping for.

Gargon667

Mentor
If they were removable I would buy a bunch :)
Since they are not and I doubt they will ever be, I don´t buy them...

Relocation would be of no interest to me, but it wouldn´t bother me either, I just wouldn´t see the programming time spent on it as well spent.

AuroraBolt

Seeker
Thats what I mean, instead of making the premium impact smaller....we will reward you for paying for this expansion and the benefit will make the tournie and fights easier, not harder. Also I was just hoping to move the expansion on the map, not remove it, especially come time when you have to do major restructuring of your city when you enter another guest race. Oh well, doesn't hurt to ask :)

Gargon667

Mentor
Thats what I mean, instead of making the premium impact smaller....we will reward you for paying for this expansion and the benefit will make the tournie and fights easier, not harder.

I think that would be opening a much bigger problem than it solves, it would turn the game into a pay-to-win game.
Of course there are always aspects of that in every game where you can purchase extras with money, but so far elvenar has been a very good game in the way they balance diamond purchases with regular game play. Making tourneys easier by purchasing premium expansions would completely brake the balance and most likely I would stop playing, as I am not interested in pay to win games, it nearly eliminates competition by restricting the top to only paying customers.

Pauly7

Magus
I think that would be opening a much bigger problem than it solves, it would turn the game into a pay-to-win game.
Of course there are always aspects of that in every game where you can purchase extras with money, but so far elvenar has been a very good game in the way they balance diamond purchases with regular game play. Making tourneys easier by purchasing premium expansions would completely brake the balance and most likely I would stop playing, as I am not interested in pay to win games, it nearly eliminates competition by restricting the top to only paying customers.
It's a difficult balance because there does always (in my opinion) need to be a benefit to purchasing something premium. They did soften the impact of premium expansions already and that's not part of it that I'm most bothered about.

AuroraBolt

Seeker
I never understand what this balance is that the devs and other people talk about. It isn't a PvP game, so if something is made easier for you, who does it affect? Perhaps in the dizzy heights of the top 10 Fellowships in every server jostling for position when it comes to FA's and the Spire but for us little minions, what's the Jist?

Pauly7

Magus
I never understand what this balance is that the devs and other people talk about. It isn't a PvP game, so if something is made easier for you, who does it affect? Perhaps in the dizzy heights of the top 10 Fellowships in every server jostling for position when it comes to FA's and the Spire but for us little minions, what's the Jist?
There is competition in a lot of different ways, particularly in Fellowship Adventures and tournaments. For some people ranking makes a difference to them and also Spire results.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
There is competition in a lot of different ways, particularly in Fellowship Adventures and tournaments. For some people ranking makes a difference to them and also Spire results.

In fact you are rewarded with permanent ranking points in the tournaments.
So there is even a clear benefit.

Its also discouraging to see your own performance going down over time, even if you do not look at someone else.
You do X, and then when you progress it becomes X -20% and then a bit later it's X -20% and then another 20%.

Many MMORPG's are not about PvP, but also there you do want to improve your character. In another topic on some forum I made the following example:

Imagine playing WoW and with a group of friends you go on raids. (non PvP battles agains PvE bosses)
From level 1-50 you improve as a character and become more adept at raiding more difficult bosses.

But from level 50-100 each time you get a little bit worse, and at level 100 you are as good as a level 25 character and not as good anymore as you where at level 50.
Level 50 becomes by default the best level, and the scaling from level 50 to 100 just becomes poinless BS that has no right to exist.

It does not make sense in this case to do anything anymore after level 50, as it will all be mood and boring as you lost your way to become better.
This is currently the case with elvenar and competing in the spire / tournaments.

You start the game and as you progress you become better and better, but after a certain point, it becomes the opposith and your maximum possible performance becomes lower and lower and lower.

I think this is a mayor issue, and a very bad design no matter how you look at it.
It's really discouraging.

Pauly7

Magus
But from level 50-100 each time you get a little bit worse, and at level 100 you are as good as a level 25 character and not as good anymore as you where at level 50.
Level 50 becomes by default the best level, and the scaling from level 50 to 100 just becomes poinless BS that has no right to exist.
Absolutely. In terms of research, 'level 50' (the best point) becomes towards the end of chapter 15. Everything after that means backwards steps.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Absolutely. In terms of research, 'level 50' (the best point) becomes towards the end of chapter 15. Everything after that means backwards steps.
Yes in research thats the case, In wonders it's jus a limited set of wonders only, and expansions as little as you can get away with.

It all makes no sense.

Gargon667

Mentor

I am a few ticks ahead in the beginning of chapter 16, but I would happily pay the activation costs of the techs again just to undo them... And I am pretty sure I´ll never activate another tech again in my elvenar life. The 4 star units are a little question mark in terms of how they affect this, but I already have to play 3 chapters (16-18) just to get 3 unit upgrades, which aren´t even the important ones. I don´t see that as enticing enough.

I have also placed my last expansion (although I have some in my inventory waiting to be placed)

And I am soon going to start my last AW upgrade (2 levels left: 35 on each FA and Simia).

After that well end of the line of progress forever. Just playing around in tourneys, spire and FAs without getting better, which is of course fine, but in a good game i could progress and become better indefinitely.

Pauly7

Magus
I am a few ticks ahead in the beginning of chapter 16, but I would happily pay the activation costs of the techs again just to undo them... And I am pretty sure I´ll never activate another tech again in my elvenar life. The 4 star units are a little question mark in terms of how they affect this, but I already have to play 3 chapters (16-18) just to get 3 unit upgrades, which aren´t even the important ones. I don´t see that as enticing enough.

I have also placed my last expansion (although I have some in my inventory waiting to be placed)

And I am soon going to start my last AW upgrade (2 levels left: 35 on each FA and Simia).

After that well end of the line of progress forever. Just playing around in tourneys, spire and FAs without getting better, which is of course fine, but in a good game i could progress and become better indefinitely.
Yep, it's sad times when they've made it so there is no point continuing. For the longest time I figured they would eventually think about this and make amendments, but no, they don't seem bothered. They are happy to punish people for going further into the storyline.

It's such an absurd thing for a game to offer you upgrades (which they are doing, essentially), but taking them makes you weaker. Imagine you have a shooting game and there's an option to upgrade your gun, but doing it only makes it less effective.

Gargon667

Mentor
Yep, it's sad times when they've made it so there is no point continuing. For the longest time I figured they would eventually think about this and make amendments, but no, they don't seem bothered. They are happy to punish people for going further into the storyline.

It's such an absurd thing for a game to offer you upgrades (which they are doing, essentially), but taking them makes you weaker. Imagine you have a shooting game and there's an option to upgrade your gun, but doing it only makes it less effective.

I think they will do something about it when it becomes a big enough problem... the question is if/when that happens... As long as people continue playing as usual there is no problem, if people spend more diamonds to overcome the trouble, it´s even better... People don´t seem to be stopping progress (or quitting altogether) in high enough numbers to cause a problem so far.

Pauly7

Magus
I was just thinking - If they did allow people to remove expansions from their city, how that could change things in fellowship adventures. I was just looking at my small city and I have 27 unplaced expansions. That would make for a sudden extra FA space that I could remove again afterwards. Like I said, it wouldn't ever happen. It would be an interesting old case of affairs though.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I was just thinking - If they did allow people to remove expansions from their city, how that could change things in fellowship adventures. I was just looking at my small city and I have 27 unplaced expansions. That would make for a sudden extra FA space that I could remove again afterwards. Like I said, it wouldn't ever happen. It would be an interesting old case of affairs though.
It's sad enough we are talking about these things :( , it should be a no brainer to place them