• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Relationships

DeletedUser487

Hi all,

Not looking to submit an idea or anything, but I was wondering if anyone had ever given any consideration to the role and function of relationships between players?

I feel that more could be done with this, rather than just having none, discovered and fellow. I thought it could be good to have an indication to see if someone you have discovered has discovered you back.

Any thoughts on this in general?

DeletedUser

As a practical matter, we already have that with the upcoming Dynamic Tags in the Notification log.
  • If someone has visited your city, which will be indicated, they've obviously discovered your city (or else they're in your Fellowship).
  • If you visit them, and they DON'T reciprocate, then either they have not discovered your city, or else they can't be bothered.
  • Likewise with Tournaments. If your city is between the Neighbor and a Tournament in which they are participating, then they've probably discovered your city.
  • Either way, cultivating them will probably encourage them to reciprocate.
While I agree that "They've discovered me" would be convenient, I'm not convinced that it would be worth the extra processing time that would be required to look up their Discovered table, every time I visit them, just to determine if I'm already on their list.

DeletedUser487

I was thinking of this again recently and thought of the following:

Say you have a neighbour you visit every day without fail, but they don't visit you back. Your relation could change to Frequent Visitor for example, and you would receive some tools whether that person visited you or not.

If you visit each other every day, there could be a relationship title like Good Neighbour and your would receive some bonus coins and tools (maybe accumulating for a seven day streak?).

Within fellowships, the same could apply. Already have the relationship Fellow could maybe guarantee you get tools from visiting a fellowship member. If you visit everyone, the title could be Loyal Member and you get boosted coins/supplies.

As I said before there should be more to the relationship you have with others, otherwise I don't see it's purpose really. Just spitballing ideas here, feel free to add you own.

DeletedUser3066

I think those are all good ideas. Sometimes it can seem like a bit of a cheat that in order to get the additional supplies you need other people to visit you, especially if you're visiting others often but never seem to get m/any visitors back.

I myself would definitely make more of an effort to do my rounds every day if I there was a reward for x number of days in a row.

I'm not sure how it would be feasible programming-wise though? I'm not a programmer myself, but I imagine there would be a lot of data involved calculating every single visit to every player for every other player in the game?

DeletedUser487

it can seem like a bit of a cheat that in order to get the additional supplies you need other people to visit you

Absolutely. Regarding the data involved, I dunno what Inno's servers are capable of doing. I'm guessing they have to load the relationship anyway? Or maybe once you discover someone it automatically stays in the system somewhere. I still think there is more can be done with this though.

DeletedUser3366

You could write him and ask ;-))

PS: That sort of relationships have been the bane of many a forum. It takes huge amounts of database space to record and remember N times N individual relationships where N is in the tens of thousands. I wold recommend not to do it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3366

Sorry for asking here, but I have a problem with posting new threads. Wich ever sub-forum I go to (including this one) do not have a "post new discussion" link at the top or bottom or anywhere else I can see. Shortly after joining I did start a new thread and I can see people doing it many places.

Could my permissions have changed? Where do I find out?

DeletedUser3097

You need to click on the green circle:

Please post again if this hasn't helped. :)

starting a thread.png

DeletedUser3366

Bingo. I found the green '+', It is there for me too, only mine is a good way down the page. Thank you Lizzie :)