• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Reduce number of clicks in the tourney without requiring new programming

Gargon667

Mentor
This is primarily for the App, since most people use the App for tourney play, but can be adjusted to the browser version as well.
Since the topic of clicks in tourney has come up in various places now, and most of them require changes in game mechanics and additional programming here are my suggestions that can be implemented by an intern in 15 minutes without changing the game at all. It would still reduce the number of weekly clicks enormously, while working on bigger changes. This can be implemented by next tourney in beta if devs choose to do so:

Rerouting of the screen after encounters:

1. Instead of rerouting the screen after a finished encounter to the overview of 4 provinces, reroute it directly to the next encounter. I see no reason for not doing this, since the province overview contains very little info (rewards for current province) which can, if people need this info, be accessed by manually going to the province screen. Really everybody just clicks on the next encounter anyway, so why don´t you automate that step for us?

2. Same principle, higher level: After finishing a tourney province, do NOT display the map screen (it does then relocate the screen to the next province automatically, but we still have to click on it). This whole loading the map, relocating and then clicking the next province can be skipped, by simply opening the next province right after I finish the previous one. Absolutely no information is lost!

Assuming 50 provinces:

Change 1:
- reduces amount of clicks by 4*50=200 clicks per round or 1200 clicks per week.
- reduces screenloading times (because fewer screens are loaded)

Change 2:
- reduces amount of clicks by 50 per round or 300 per week
- reduces screenloading times (because fewer screens are loaded)
- reduces the waiting time for relocating between provinces to 0 (because it doesn´t do that anymore).
- An additional benefit is that the bug that prevents reopening provinces at a 0% cooldown time should become obsolete (if not, well, fix the bug anyway).

Any click counts, our fingers will thank you!

AstralSoul

Illusionist
I like it, but with an option for #2 to start by the farthest province first. Starting round #2, I like to start with the hardest one and decrease till #1.

So, you would click on province #42 for example, goes the way you mention and it opens #41 (your option is to go backward vs forward as now). And also, for the game to take you to the immediately prior or following (depending on your option) province. So, if you want to 6 star only the first 20, you start 20th, and the game takes you to 19th, 18th... etc.

Both ideas require code, but minimal, and removal of other code (the current mechanics.)

Pauly7

Magus
I like it, but it's perhaps aimed more at the advanced player. Newer players are much less likely to want to go straight into the next province.

It would be nice if things like this were customisable for each person... but I'm daydreaming now.

Gargon667

Mentor
Well the point of this was to be simple and doable without extra programming, means: no customization, because that needs programming.

@AstralSoul: Starting from the back is not saving any clicks, so I disregard it in this thread. (As a custom option possible, but I doubt that will ever happen)

@Pauly7: I don´t see the problem, why would less advanced player want to spend more time looking at the world map? I agree it makes less of a difference to them because they maybe only do it 5 times a day, but would they loose anything if they didn´t have to look at the map? And if you want to see the world map you can always click the icon to do so...

Pauly7

Magus
@Pauly7: I don´t see the problem, why would less advanced player want to spend more time looking at the world map? I agree it makes less of a difference to them because they maybe only do it 5 times a day, but would they loose anything if they didn´t have to look at the map? And if you want to see the world map you can always click the icon to do so...
If you only want to do, say, 4 or 5 provinces, then if it automatically sends you to the next one you need the extra click to get back out. This would then be happening 20% or 25% of the time, so for them it would be a hindrance.

Gargon667

Mentor
If you only want to do, say, 4 or 5 provinces, then if it automatically sends you to the next one you need the extra click to get back out. This would then be happening 20% or 25% of the time, so for them it would be a hindrance.

I think you lost me there (or I lost you?). It would happen exactly once every round when you have finished your round and do not want to do more provinces, even though you have more available.
It will autoforward you for as long as you want to keep going, instead of stopping you after every single encounter. Then when you want to stop you need to click once to leave. of course this will happen every time you start playing the tourney, which is usually once every round. This will happen exactly the same to everybody playing tourneys, except for those who do ALL their available provinces (no autoforward if there is no more available).

Pauly7

Magus
You're probably right, all in all, but my point was that if you're playing 4 provinces then clicking into the next one is not a problem and you could sometimes save clicks. In the early game when you're trying to figure out if you can do one more province you'd quite often be wanting to be back at the map to view the selection of available provinces.

HappyRose

Spellcaster
I think it’s a brilliant idea to cut down the number of clicks, I have 4 cities and my finger is very sore when we have a push tourney, especially when the push tournament coincides as it will this week in silk.. also the time saving on my larger city appropriate 45 province, would also help me get to the smaller cities before I’m thinking of going to bed

DeletedUser7526

Overall I would really like it if the tourney gets less cumbersome ( don’t tell me it’s is a choice and to do less ;)
And smaller cities should still have an option to do manually ( something like a checklist in settings to turn the feature on and off )

Pauly7

Magus
My fear with wishing for the tournaments to become less cumbersome is that any change (and apparently it's coming) will go hand in hand with them nerfing the tournament rewards. There's something about this that feels similar to the Great Bell Spire. Inno has allowed us to become much more powerful and so now people are picking up double the numbers of KP that they were two years ago.

DeletedUser7526

They have partly dealt with that issue with pretty cumbersome level 35 AWs.

Timneh

Artisan
My fear with wishing for the tournaments to become less cumbersome is that any change (and apparently it's coming) will go hand in hand with them nerfing the tournament rewards.

Have you heard something? and if you have is it something that you could share ? I always worry when they change things because it nearly always makes them worse.

Pauly7

Magus
Have you heard something? and if you have is it something that you could share ? I always worry when they change things because it nearly always makes them worse.
I'm not sure of the exact source. It may have been from Beta a month or so ago, but there was talk of changing tournaments to one encounter per province.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
I like idea 1 but not idea 2, as it would be confusing for new players in my opinion.

It's my notion that it was never intended that players achieve much more than 10 provinces regularly, as the prizes just repeat therafter.
If this is so, reasoning with 50 provinces might get the devs ideas...

Hekata

Artisan
I like the first idea but not so much the second. I don't always do provinces in the intended order. In fact, staring with round 2, most of the time I go backwards, that way if I run out of troops I'm left with those provinces cheaper to cater.