• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

(Posting third party links is now allowed) About posting 3rd Party Links.

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
We are reviewing everything, please hold tight :)

Deleted User - 341074

A complete 180 is quite the "amendment".
Good call though, the new rule was quite draconian with virtually no upside.
Does this mean I can add
1. my event info
2. my training time calculator
3. my culture bonus calculator
Back into my signature?

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Yeah sorry but EA, ES, GoK, Plat, and all of the other fan-made content is what makes this game actually playable for many people. I find no joy in a system this restrictive.
Inno is more than welcome to incorporate any of the content those sites offer into their own game. In fact, we've been begging them to do so for years. The whole reason that those sites exist is that the features are lacking in-game.
Also, the thousands of unique visitors who have used those sites multiple times seem to indicate that not everyone hates those spoiler lists.
-------------------------
Edit: This new rule should be added to the forum rules if you're going to stick to it.

Rule #14 is the only one that mentions outside links at all and it actually implies the exact opposite of this rule as it specifically states "other websites without connection to Elvenar, or InnoGames" .

There is obviously the logical interpretation of this rule that I'm not allowed to advertise for my beer company, but a link to a fan-made site that contains information about Elvenar has a clear connection to Elvenar would be allowed.
I am an avid fan of elven architect, this is clearly a fandriven project as it has no adds. it also uses gamefiles as it's source making it not succeptable to errors/

Elvengems I really dislike for more than one reason, it's riddled with adds so definately not just fan driven, people need those webpages for the quest lists? what was wrong with all the quest list being aviable by the forums?
Since they used mod information in the past there was no longer a need for the forum community to collect the quests together and those forum events died out. It would be nice to see those events return.
Also there are people who really think GoK = elvenar and I learned that people actually send in complaints to elvenar that the game is wrong or that they need to "fix" errors on GoK.

Since the loss of mod information it takes a lot more time to update GoK, and this is where platinum leaf has stepped in and took over the collect quest events, I am not a facebook person so I see no other "reason" to link to it.

That all said, I wish they made a compromise and work together Elvenarchitect as I think it's an awesome tool that should be linked.
I am pretty sure @Konniver would be willing to work with them.

I also like to see that they allow links to google sheets / office 365.

Some things cannot be properly conveyed and it's obvious that a sheet is not a elvenar source.
Being unable to post a tournament calculator, troop production calculator, a FA sheet people can use for there fellowship or a new race calculation sheet would be a huge loss.

Lelanya

Mentor
So I can restore the link you edited? Would be nice to get a mail about that.

To play the devil's advocate... I signed in (to the game) the other day to complaints that 'the Architect ' was not working. Which I thought was odd since I had various cities on the go at the time. But as it happens, it was my Beta and Harandar cities. Turns out the players were actually complaining about ElvenStats failing to provide real time updates. I contacted the site owner and the problem cleared up (happy to direct information to the correct source BTW).
Hmmm that can't have been an easy week to be answering Support tickets ;)

Deleted User - 341074

To play the devil's advocate...
Yup, I've also seen the very rare complaints about 3rd party sites directed at inno, but really, who cares?
1,000s of players use and love those resources and if they aren't perfect a handful might complain to the wrong person.
I've even received messages myself about Elvenstats being down just because I did the demo video for it.
Big deal.
I was a waiter once upon a time too, but I didn't have a fit if a patron blamed me when the cook screwed up.
I also accepted every tip I was given when they were happy about how the food tasted which I also had nothing to do with.

The net gain for inno from these resources is huge. Free-crowd sourced labor with zero responsibility?
Imagine throwing away such an unbelievably generous gift. Honestly, I think a heartfelt apology and a real "thank you" from inno's representatives wouldn't be out of line for Konniver and elvenstats.

Killiak

Artisan
The amount of two-handed facepalm I am experiencing right now is simply mind boggling.

The fact that this happens on the EN forum only, and then to see it go a 180.... and some of the things said by moderators.
Communication and PR failure galore.

It's just beyond me to even find words for.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
Since they are allowed (again): (NOTE: Animated GIFs are specificly barred by rule 6. (This has been removed without penalty on this occasion))

Edit: oh wow, external links to gifs even get automatically embedded? Mind blown...!

Last edited by a moderator:

C-Nymph

Necromancer
However be prepared for thread closure in 3....2....
(This is still the EN forums after all)
I was surprised it was still opened after the 'amendment' was added on Wednesday already.

I've been working hard IRL so haven't checked the forums recently, hence why I only just now stumbled upon this after reading the announcements, getting popcorn and sitting down with a good beer to start looking for the discussion post that would be connected to the announcement ;)

FieryArien

Necromancer
People, there is really no need to be mean. Imagine it the other way around: what if it was you who made a bad decision. People would point it out to you and you’d amended that decision. That’s actually rare, people usually stick with the bad decisions just because they are theirs and just because they don’t want to admit that someone else is right. Would you really appreciate people to rub your nose in it? Would it help you in any way to be willing to amend your decisions based on people’s feedback in the future? I seriously doubt it. So for all our sakes, please let’s this issue be. Let’s hope that next time mods make a decision that hurt us, they will be willing to amend it and that they will do it as fast as in this case. Thank you.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
Oh come on @FieryArien, mistakes are being made all the time and because they fixed a mistake this one time we're not allowed to make a little fun of it? Lighten up, drink some coffee, put a smile on your face, I guarantee your day will be better when you laugh every once in a while :)

Deleted User - 341074

People, there is really no need to be mean. Imagine it the other way around: what if it was you who made a bad decision. People would point it out to you and you’d amended that decision. That’s actually rare, people usually stick with the bad decisions just because they are theirs and just because they don’t want to admit that someone else is right. Would you really appreciate people to rub your nose in it? Would it help you in any way to be willing to amend your decisions based on people’s feedback in the future? I seriously doubt it. So for all our sakes, please let’s this issue be. Let’s hope that next time mods make a decision that hurt us, they will be willing to amend it and that they will do it as fast as in this case. Thank you.
If I was inno, I'd apologize and thank those third-party resource creators as I said.

The EN forums have by far the most strict... interpretation of the rules. It's actually quite common for users to post the exact same thing on the US, EN, and a third forum only to have it deleted here with the thread locked to further comments. So when the mods finally went way too far with this one I think it's only natural that users felt a little vindicated.
Even now I worry that this rather light criticism that is factual and unemotional without insult will be stricken from the record and I'd never be concerned about that on any of the US/Beta/DE/NL/RU forums (I don't use any others)

Lelanya

Mentor
I have to second what @SoggyShorts has said here.
I made a post on the US Forum that garnered me a like while here I received what might best be described as a swift and harsh ... (please write me if you wish to know what word I would honestly post here. I honestly fear to state the truth).
The veiled allusions mentioned above leave me afraid to post links for the game support site that I represent for fear of more of those (see above).
This site used to be so friendly, but this is no longer true.

Deleted User - 341074

Wow that is some serious foruming :D
Yeah, I used to be really active especially with feature suggestions, and found that getting perspectives from other regions really helped. Also gave me a chance to practice my extremely rusty language skills. I've tried to encourage players from those servers to also meet here at the "international" forums, but they have mostly been turned off due to the reasons listed.