• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered Population issues

• Thread starter DeletedUser3016
  • Start date

DeletedUser3016

I am currently sitting on 17 population and i have 18 residences half of which are fully upgraded to my level cap the other half are only one level off with 10P received for the upgrade. that gives me an extra 107 population to play around with. I've just researched better workshops and really want to upgrade the 8 i have but that will mean not being able to build or upgrade any more crystal or marble factory's (Currently have 6 lvl 7 marble factory's and 2 lvl 3 crystal factory's). Should i have more residences at this stage of the game (just going into third research tree) or is this a common problem?

DeletedUser

It really depends on how close you are to unlocking the Superior Residence Tech in Chapter III. The level 9 residences give you a bigger boost as they increase the size of the residences and the per level increase is also larger.

Going forward, you are going to eventually need more than 18 residences, especially with the number of manufactories you have, so you could definitely build some more residences if you have the space for them. Especially if you don't want to have to wait on the tech tree.

DeletedUser

I am currently sitting on 17 population and i have 18 residences half of which are fully upgraded to my level cap the other half are only one level off with 10P received for the upgrade. that gives me an extra 107 population to play around with. I've just researched better workshops and really want to upgrade the 8 i have but that will mean not being able to build or upgrade any more crystal or marble factory's (Currently have 6 lvl 7 marble factory's and 2 lvl 3 crystal factory's). Should i have more residences at this stage of the game (just going into third research tree) or is this a common problem?
I have a city which is around the same level as yours with the same number of marble and crystal although they are upgraded further than yours and a lvl7 Main Hall, however I have 4 armories to your 2, and you have the training ground and your barracks is a level higher, I also have 8 workshops and 22 lvl7 houses, I have a surplus of 277 population, I would agree with Arjavh that you need more houses, but you will find this game to be a continual juggling of population, culture, supplies and gold because as soon as you get one where you want it you run short of another and then need to prioritise that one which leads to another being out of kilter.

The fun of the game! :D

DeletedUser3016

okay thanks guys i will add a couple houses and see if i can last till the superior residences :)

DeletedUser2886

okay thanks guys i will add a couple houses and see if i can last till the superior residences :)
or you can also try and scout some provinces for an expansion and lay down one or more residences for an instant 30+ population. Have you Unlocked AW too? Golden Abyss gives 200 population when you build it

DeletedUser3016

or you can also try and scout some provinces for an expansion and lay down one or more residences for an instant 30+ population. Have you Unlocked AW too? Golden Abyss gives 200 population when you build it
i need 3 runes for it still. got lots of broken ones tho.

DeletedUser2886

i need 3 runes for it still. got lots of broken ones tho.
ah I see. maxed out broken runes = 1 free rune.

theres also one other option...sell a culture building, military building, factory, or workshop you think you don't need and place one or two residences in its place. for example I made 3 armories for a declinable quest but I never fight (because its impossible due to how far ive scouted) so I just sold two of the armories to make space.

also to upgrade all your residences to a new size...if you have no free space you will have to delete a residence anyway,.,.but thats fine because the gain you get from one tier up is more than the one you will sell.

DeletedUser3016

i currently have that armory quest. is it worth to do it or should i just decline since i hate fighting

DeletedUser2886

i currently have that armory quest. is it worth to do it or should i just decline since i hate fighting
my opinion coming from someone who never fights cause they cant...decline it because you wont ever be making troops so the extra two armories will be useless. you may be able to win but if you hate fighting why have two military buildings you don't need? use the space for something else you need...like manufactories/workshops cause you will be negotiating if you are not fighting. you can always build them later should you want to

The only reason you would want the extra armories outside of that is event quests, but only to complete their quests faster. on the valentines quests there is one to make 400 troops which I'm assuming with only 1 armory would take a while for a really small city. I can make 92 troops in around hour and half with only 1 armory so it doesn't bother me I'm not making armories just for that

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If its a declinable quest and you don't want to do it then just decline, some of the declinable quests are on a loop and so pop up again and some are specials which come up once, the armory quest would be a special.

I think its worth having some troops for tournaments even if you've decided that you'd rather negotiate on the world map.

For what its worth, I have 4 cities of differing sizes and they all negotiate on the world map as I have neither the time not inclination to fight, too many troops, too many choices and I'm not a fighter either. However, I do make troops for tournaments and thats because I can get further fighting than I can be negotiating in all but the smallest city - the one thats the same size as yours - at that level its worth negotiating the first province, and the second if you can. I'm in a solo FS and by negotiating the first province to round 6 and the second to round 3 or 4 (can't remember which it was!) I got the first chest opened. Its cheaper to do those provinces as they just require gold, supplies and a few of your T1 goods (like 7 or 8 for the first province) rather than the world map which requires larger quantities of goods.

Once that city becomes larger I might do a bit of fighting, my main and 2nd cities are 95% fighting with just a few encounters negotiated, one of those cities has reached the end of the tech tree and the other is in orcs.

Timneh

Artisan
I believe (but am not certain) that although at this point in the game you do not need armouries if you do not want to fight you are going to need some in the future because that is where you produce orcs that you will need. I have only 1 armoury at lvl4 and i am in chapter 6. If i am right about orcs i will build some more when i need them.

DeletedUser3097

Some helpful advice here, thank you everyone who posted :)

DeletedUser2886

You are entirely correct. I eventually settled on 3, as you need orcs to negotiate provinces and to upgrade buildings in the Orc chapter.

As for the population calculation, I find the reporting on the http://www.elvenarchitect.com/ very useful for that planning.
when I inputted my city exactly as it was then used that function it always came up with slightly different figures so I don't really understand why it's there.

DeletedUser2886

An approximate answer is always useful as a rough guide to what to do, I'd think.
I was being polite. sometimes the figures were way off. Also some people want clarity or exact figures and don't settle for approximates. I just re-entered my city two eras on (a month since I last used it) and the figures are nothing like what my city shows. That being said I do use the site to plan out my city and look at the shapes of buildings as they expand because just being told it changes from ?x? to ?x? means nothing unless you know which way its going to be expanding against your roads

DeletedUser3034

it changes from ?x? to ?x? means nothing unless you know which way its going to be expanding against your roads

Changing ?x? to AxB for clarity here.

A is the left to right size (slightly skewed, not squared on screen) and B is front to back. The building will be expanded with the upper right corner used as the anchor.

Hope this helps everyone.

DeletedUser3097

2. Be polite and constructive

• Please help us keeping harmony in the community. Make sure that you treat others respectfully, do not insult anyone and remain polite. Aggressive, vulgar and provocative language will not be tolerated.
• Report aggressive messages to the staff of moderators and never reply publicly to them. Reply to posts always in a civilized and constructive way.
• Remember that we all have different backgrounds and different opinions. Respect is the key of the game!

DeletedUser1265

when I inputted my city exactly as it was then used that function it always came up with slightly different figures so I don't really understand why it's there.

Did you consider providing the dev with feedback? Odd though, as I have found that my numbers are almost perfect, if they are off it is mostly due to my own input. Often with the wrong level of event buildings, guest race placing or incorrect level roads. I have been using the tool since it has become available. It is a great help - for me at least. Each to their own I guess.

As for how the buildings expand, I struggled with that too... until I learnt how to read the pictures. Not being facetious, it is all the worked for me. Other than the Wiki.

@gandolfus said:
Changing ?x? to AxB for clarity here.

A is the left to right size (slightly skewed, not squared on screen) and B is front to back. The building will be expanded with the upper right corner used as the anchor.

Hope this helps everyone.

I will give this a shot, thank you for the clarification @gandolfus