• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Poll: Orcs In Province Negotiations

Should Orcs be used in Negotiations?

• Remove Orcs From Negotiations Completely

Votes: 48 57.1%
  • Keep Orcs On Negotiations And Leave The Game As It Is

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Have Orcs In Negotiations, But Only For Those Who In The Orc Chapter

Votes: 29 34.5%

• Total voters

DeletedUser330

I was told to do this via PM.

Simple, this has caused countless people to leave the game, 3 of them (all 3 are huge players) from my own Fellowship... and from my own count somewhere close to 15 of the top 100 players too.
There has also been entire fellowships fold because of this.

So, should Orcs be removed from the province negotiations?

DeletedUser

I voted remove them completely because:
"Have Orcs in Negotiations. But only for those in the Orcs chapter" will not happen. They basically have to make it dependent upon how many provinces people cleared, or there would be even more complaints. If people know they will have to use orcs to negotiate in that chapter, they will make sure they cleared as many provinces as possible *before* unlocking orcs. Unless you spend money on everything, you will be used to taking forever in this game, so you'll prefer to delay orcs by a few weeks and actually be able to do the chapter once you get there without selling half your stuff or being forced to buy expansions. The devs know this, which is why they throttled people by adding orcs to negotiations at a point they knew a lot of people nowhere near orcs had explored to. They could, after all, have figured out the furthest anyone had explored, and then added them there if they cared about the players at all. Take note that exploring was not discouraged prior to this for negotiations beyond requiring a lot of resources.

Having orcs in the orc chapter and not before would entail rearranging the game and putting restrictions on the amount of provinces people could acquire per chapter before so it won't change much as those who are stuck will still be stuck since if you are seeing orcs, that means you are supposed to only have explored to that point once you get to the orcs chapter. However, for lower level players this would actually be a good move as they wouldn't suddenly find themselves in the deep end mid dwarf or at the beginning of fairies.

I don't see what was wrong with the system as it was. If they must be added, restrictions on the amount of provinces people can acquire must be introduced early in the game, as should the requirement to build up the military aspect. We shouldn't neglect the fact that before the or chapter, people were led to believe they could play this game without engaging in the military aspect and have planned their cities accordingly. Why build space wasting armouries if you never fight? How annoying is it to have to waste all that space just so you can keep negotiating? And why do we suddenly need slaves anyway? Our cities did fine without them before :p It makes no sense to twist the game in a completely different direction at such a late stage, unless you want to annoy everyone. The only people not affected by this are people who don't mind paying for everything no matter what and people who already benefited from expanding their city while stuck at the end of fairies and thus have plenty of room. Since they are already in the orcs chapter, they will also have orcs available soon enough, making it irritating but not actually ruining their game per se.

Anyway, nothing will change as we were taught by the MA which we are still stuck with and I'd guess everyone who didn't use it still doesn't as it's just as pointless as it's always been. We could use it to "solve" some of the production issues we have, but not everyone is the type who can remember to log on like clockwork/not everyone has that kind of time, so the spells do next to nothing anyway (which I've explained to no avail before :p ), nor do I personally have any incentive to keep logging on when there's literally almost nothing to do. So we'll be encouraged to complain, and the devs will pretend to listen and do some token thing that amounts to zero, and that will be it until the next bomb explodes and we'll all be complaining about that instead, assuming we are still inflicting this frustration upon ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valnad

Spellcaster
Not much to say, Sloth pretty much nailed it.

I would appreciate if the dev team tries to avoid more silly arguments for money-draining updates in future videos. As if the true reasons behind adding orcs for negotiations are that:

1)
it felt more "realistic to have them there as guards"

or better yet that

2)
orcs in negotiations makes sure that they remain useful even in future chapters.

See, I don't think that Elvenar players are dumb enough to beleive that, and neither should the devs. Discrediting the intelligence of your player base is bold move to make.

The problem, as I have stated in previous posts, about adding content with the sole intent to push players to buy more in-game currency for real money is that the added content must be very, very good in order to motivate players to accept the extra price you want them to pay.

Whether orcs qualify as such remains to be seen, but judging by the immediate response from the community I'm feeling inclined to feel mildly sceptic.

DeletedUser1161

I have played this game from day one almost, I will not and won't spend diamonds on the game. In saying that I have enjoyed playing this game even though it makes you go through hoops to get where you need to be and be patient is another key feature of this game, but I have stuck with it. I also run fellowships on A and W and I know for a fact if this continues needing orcs to negotiate before people get to that particular part of the research map players will leave and from the posts that I have read players are already leaving...... all I am asking for here is for Elvenar to listen to the players for once before it's all too late.

DeletedUser803

I like fighting my way through the province, but at some points it's impossible to win- there are just too many of the enemy to defeat with only 5 squads of my own. In arendyll, I am languishing at the bottom of dwarves, and in wynyandor I've only just started fairies. It will be weeks till I can get any orcs.
I haven't made up my mind completely, but there is a chance I will quit soon, there are plenty of other games to play, and this game really isn't much fun anymore.

DeletedUser

I thought hitting dwarves with the tedium of granite was bad enough but to have another factor slowing the game reduces it to who is willing to pay . Let's face it - where is the fun in that.
Losing players is a zero sum game for inno. Yes some people may be prepared to pay through negotiations but for how long when there is no longer any realistic and enjoyable challenge for the players.

Valnad

Spellcaster
What makes a player stay and continue to play a game for several years?

I have played a ridiculous amount of online games (all of the other IG titles as well). In some games I have decided that it was okay to pay for perks, in others I decided to play for free and accept that I would never become a top player. But regardless of whether I paid or not, there was only one major factor involved in my decision to stay or leave a game: the community and level of interaction with other players. I played some games for several years before I left and there are still a few games I have played for a long time that I have not quit yet.

Elvenar was a very strange game right from the beginning, in that it basically had no sense of community at all. Several months passed before we got fellowships and let's be honest - there is not a lot we can to together even if we co-operate in fellowships. But still, there's the chat and we have PM threads. Some of us sporadically visit the forums but not often, and those of us who do are in the minority.

If I were to guess, I would probably never have played Elvenar today had it not been for fellowships. And had I not recently switched to a more active fellowship, I might actually have quit shortly before orcs were released. You need to make friends, interact with other people and get something else from the game other than just repeatingly battling with a rather stupid AI.

This is what I would like the Elvenar team to focus on. Instead of trying to throttle the game because of performance issues (flash is not the best architecture to begin with) you need to first build a solid foundation that makes the players more connected with one another. If we can get a better sense of community going, we will not require as many updates. And if the performance is truly the issue behind these latest updates (as Timon claimed in the facebook video) it could easily be avoided by not favoring further expansion.

Let me remind you, Timon, that it is you and your team who demands more space with all of these stupid changes to buildings sizes with each new chapter. Make the buildings smaller, make new buildings that replace 2 old building types and in return are very expensive... sheesh, I can think of a million good choices to make other than to require players to expand their cities and at the same time complain about how much large cities throttle the overall game performance.

DeletedUser

Expanding on what @Valnad said, the performance issues are also on the user side with large cities, so why not let us do nh *without* loading each city separately? Why add space wasting compulsory rubbish like the MA (which apparently we have to have so we can do quests - lol)? Why force people to build armories when they did fine without them before? Why add mammoth culture buildings instead of smaller, more expensive ones? It really does make more sense to implement things that allow people to make more use of the space they have than freezing our progress and blaming game issues on sprawling cities. This is sounding very much like a lame excuse :p

DeletedUser487

Much like the MA discussions, it is and will be the more advanced players who suffer most, as new players won't suffer as a consequence. I would say that if it is necessary to have another requirement for negotiating, then perhaps in subsequent worlds, Orcs and Goblins should be the first guest race?

DeletedUser

it is and will be the more advanced players who suffer most, as new players won't suffer as a consequence
It's actually the other way round.
  • The developers have raised the price (they've added Orcs) for negotiating in Ring 11 and beyond
  • If you ALREADY have more than 222 provinces, you most likely obtained them by negotiation.
  • You got them on the CHEAP, and you should count your blessings

DeletedUser487

@Katwijk, yes you're right, but I meant that for players who are perhaps on Dwarves or maybe just starting Fairies, they are the most disadvantaged as this has just been implemented all of a sudden (if they have reached that ring number, I'm not sure what the average player is at). Whereas new players will never have known anything different.

DeletedUser330

Yep, I got people in my fellowship have gotten the dirty end of the stick with this addition.
People who are not yet on dwarves, and others who have only just started dwarves, and they're stuck now.

DeletedUser1925

Anyone has too much orcs dung? I need some of that stuff. :)

Edited: Zanyah - 2016-08-02 - replaced an inappropriate word ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

[...] I meant that for players who are perhaps on Dwarves or maybe just starting Fairies, they are the most disadvantaged as this has just been implemented all of a sudden (if they have reached that ring number, I'm not sure what the average player is at). Whereas new players will never have known anything different.

Unless they introduce restrictions in province acquisition *at an earlier stage* (i.e. per chapter) new players will be in the same boat. It's downright messy and it beats me why anyone can consider it good game design when a company has obviously slapped a completely unfinished and un-thought out game onto the market and then keeps adding stuff haphazardly with no other intent behind it than to force players to spend more money. I get that they might realise some things were not as they thought, but there are methods to fix that which do not involve flummoxing a lot of established players, and even if we are going to make excuses, it's simply a fact that adding these restrictions is terribly sloppy *unless it's implemented from the beginning*. When game content is changed, it should never be done without taking the existing players and the effects it has upon them into consideration. I stick to my opinion that the decent thing to do would have been to add orcs as a requirement *at a point no player has yet reached in expanding or a little before* and to add restrictions throughout the game using the same method at the same time. That's the only way to ensure people will not suddenly be hit by this. For instance, after tier 3goods are required for negotiation (which people can still get by trades but never mind), in the next chapter the aspect with the armoury could start with provinces x-y requiring something produced in the armoury, like weapons or whatever, so say for one chapter you'd need armoury level 5 and for the next 7 and so on.

DeletedUser1925

Why not just give whole city in one negotiation and then you reach the finish line! Is already tough to progress. If you can't progress in provinces whats the point of whole game? Collecting production goods, supplies, coins every X hours? Build 1, 2 buildings a day? spend 1000+ KP on research that is useless to build since space is SO limited. Soon Summer Solstice. Example: Chapter 1 vs chapter 8 province scanning... Makes no sense at all.

Sure game is/was not well thought.

FYI:
Once you start paying for the game you will have to pay more every time!

AhkNemet

Dreamer
Yep, I got people in my fellowship have gotten the dirty end of the stick with this addition.
People who are not yet on dwarves, and others who have only just started dwarves, and they're stuck now.

I signed up just so I could comment about this orcs in negotiation thing. At great expense and resources (because I can't win most of the fights), I made my way to a player who happens to be 11 or so rings away from me, because he is the biggest trader of materials I need (and happens to be requiring my boosted resources). This update rolled out about 2 weeks too early for me to be able to reach him, and it feels like having a door slammed in my face. (I'm only one province short of his village, and it requires orcs).

I noticed from the first 2 weeks of playing this game, that the combats were difficult and my troops were wiped out rapidly, now I'm encountering provinces in all directions with enemy squads of 300 or more, facing my pitiful 152 that just die until I run out and have to spend weeks rebuilding. I'm stuck with provinces I can't negotiate my way through, not because of orcs (that's only affecting a single province so far) but because the resources simply aren't available. I find myself cursing that I was boost for gems, because all traders showing up on the post are gem boost too.
I doubt the devs consider what happens to the playerbase who stays, when simply too many leave to make up the alternative resources for a solid trade system.

I'm not even at the dwarf chapter yet, I'm still half way through Chapter 5. I check my trading post several times in a day hoping someone will offer something I need (since no one is accepting trades, even though I'm weighting them their favour) and there's 1 or 2 pages at best. The price gouge of 50% for undiscovered traders hurts.
I'm pretty sure that elixir and dust are a complete myth, as no one ever seems to have any available.

In all game models, progression is important. When people feel a lack of progression, they get frustrated and bored. Adding orcs to negotiate just killed any sense (however little it may have been before that) of progression.

There's a couple reasons I'm still around.. 1 is that I like seeing the buildings develop and change, but the other is the 2 friends I happened to make in this game.

Additionally, I am sad to learn that the gorgeous fairy buildings, are being replaced with .. orc buildings. Might as well quit before I have to see someone go through that?