• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Closed | Archived Part of the city is not displayed

Lelanya

Mentor
Y'all need to disable the HTML5 clients... That'll fix it.
Hmmm
Hey Mikki,
I have played for 2 years with my browser at 67% (both in Firefox and Chrome), and had NO disappearing city/world map. I've played at 67% with Flash with no issues. I made the change to HTML5 when Inno announced Flash support was leaving. Again, I played at 67% zoom in HTML5 with NO issues. Only with the latest update did it become an issue. This bug was 1st reported in Beta, and then rolled out to Live without Inno addressing it. So telling us now that "the way you've been viewing the game" is the issue is unacceptable as it holds NO validity.
Do we need a workaround for Flash permissions still?

WinterLivia7

Spellcaster
Do we need a workaround for Flash permissions still?
Yes. I copied from an article, my English isn't that good to describe what's happening. Sorry :)

Ephemeral mode is supported on Google Chrome on Microsoft® Windows, Mac®, Linux®, and Chrome OS. Here's how it works:

1. When a user signs in to Google Chrome with their corporate account, a new profile is created for that session and stored on disk.
  2. If ephemeral mode is set for the user or device, the profile is marked for deletion after the last browser window associated with the profile is closed. It will be deleted the next time Chrome starts.
  3. The ephemeral session ends when the user logs out of Chrome or exits the browser.
This being said, every time you logout or close the browser, next time you will be asked to allow Flash to run a particular site - Elvenar in this case.
And is not only on Chrome. I have it also in SlimJet browser too.

Sir Derf

Adept
*Disclaimer-I'm not a game programmer, but I have played one on TV - Also, I once stayed in a Holiday Inn Express*

Just a guess.

Graphical items need to be serviced/refreshed/animated. This process is optimized so as to not service elements that are out of view, off screen.
When working out what the in-view area of the screen is, or when walking through and determining which elements are visible or not, the algorithm that translates HTML5 screen size is overstating the effect of the zoom. The screen coordinates are (0,0) in the upper left, and this overstate means that the graphics are not being served close to the right and bottom of the visible screen.

Anyway, that's just a thought....

Sir Derf

Adept
Hmmmm, just switched back to HTML5 and tried something out...

The boundary between the visible and missing buildings is roughly based on which buildings are visible at 100%. When the zoom kicks in, the upper left is fixed, so the zoom moves the expands/contracts the right/bottom edge. I would guess that the above-described algorithm has lost its detection or application of the HTML5 zoom levels. It's not overstating the zoom, it's not applying it at all.

This probably also means that if you zoom the other way, 110%, 120%, the system is probably servicing elements that are off the screen.

Anyway, that's just a thought

Sir Derf

Adept
More refinement...

I happen to have a bunch of residence in the East of my city. If you move the city around slowly while zoomed out, you can watch the coin icons disappear slightly before the building does.

Tooltips still detect and react in the invisible portions of the map, so the mouse position is being translated into the correct coordinates on the map in the correct zoom level.

It's like a flat-earther attempt to simulate things disappearing over the horizon. In a physical world, the coins are higher than the building, so the building should go over the horizon and disappear before the coin; in a 2-D graphical world, the building has a more north-westerly tip, so the coin goes over the horizon and disappears first.

Any way, that's just a thought...

DeletedUser6846

*Disclaimer-I'm not a game programmer, but I have played one on TV - Also, I once stayed in a Holiday Inn Express*
, as you said.
Zoom out on the world map. Text objects at the edge of the map are shown, but not graphics.

Someone obviously touched something at the heart of the game engine and broke it. No problem there. It does happen in programming. But then they release the buggy version without even trying whether it works on major browsers. That's not good. I hope atleast whatever they were trying to improve or fix got fixed.

firerock

Enchanter
Forge of Empires is another Inno game that doesn't that also runs html5, so why not just ask those developers?

Sir Derf

Adept
Or, just hop in a time machine and ask Elvenar developers from last week. This issue was unseen for months up till then.

, as you said.
But then they release the buggy version without even trying whether it works on major browsers.

To be fair, it is hard to test for functionality against every possible interaction and setting across every hardware/driver/browser ecosystem.

To be unfair, isn't that what operating a Beta server with a release schedule a week ahead of global release for?

Julian

Sorcerer
If it is affecting you, bombard Inno with support tickets.

Muf-Muf

Elvenar Team
No need to bombard us with anything. :)

We're aware of the problem, and are investigating our options at the moment. We hope to be able to offer a solution soon.

In the meantime, we can only ask for your patience, and we thank you for it. We do apologize for the inconvenience these issues are causing currently.

Timneh

Artisan
No need to bombard us with anything. :)

We're aware of the problem, and are investigating our options at the moment. We hope to be able to offer a solution soon.

In the meantime, we can only ask for your patience, and we thank you for it. We do apologize for the inconvenience these issues are causing currently.

This is the kind of response we should get from the Elvenar team all the time.
Players should be informed of what is happening when they have expressed concerns about something in the game.

Sir Derf

Adept
I was going to say "I'm confused, the issue was a graphics bug, not a failure to provide feedback about the complaints about the bug.", but I decided to check the game itself.

I turned on HTML5 and relaunched, and the graphic bug appears to be fixed, and I am now running v1.111.3-(8a3d89d) (2020-08-21 10:50).

So, Thank you @Muf-Muf for responding, and thank you to Inno for actually fixing.

Signed,

A Beta 2.0 player.

sail0r

Spellcaster
Thank you for resolving this issue. I am sorry if I raised my tone at some time but the response "you have to play the game at 100%" got me furious and I honestly was thinking of quitting the game.