• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Parks

Sir Derf

Adept
Culture pieces that produce a park. Thin pieces you could use to line a road. Larger pieces like a picnic space, dog park, band shell. duck pond, rose garden.

Build little pocket parks near your residences.

Build Central Park in the center of your city.

WinterLivia7

Spellcaster
why? Where's the benefit in this idea? The space is so scarce already, why would I waste it for a park? This game is all about efficiency. I saw so many gorgeous buildings which will never be build just because their efficiency is way too low.

Sir Derf

Adept
Why? Because we like you. M-O-U... no, wait a minute, that's not the right response....

Why? Why not.

If the game is, as you say, all about (and only about) efficiency, then the game needs to offer less-efficient options, so that you have to choose between buildings of different levels.

Or, maybe efficiency isn't everything? Maybe some players are willing to play at a slower, less efficient pace in exchange for what they consider to be a more aesthetic city layout? Or maybe there are players who either aren't leaving a chapter, or have finished the current last chapter?

m4rt1n

Adept
We have culture in the early game with flower beds, a park, sounds a lot like the nice park of ch10 campus settlement we have already.

+1 for your continuous idea's though @Sir Derf

Julian

Sorcerer
Following on from that efficiency vs appearances debate, I've often wondered about a really nasty looking building. This eyesore would actually have negative culture and possibly even negative population. Nobody will want near it. But the counter to this is that it will be the absolutely best producer of mana/seeds/something. That would offer up a real debate as to whether you want it in your city.

Pauly7

Magus
Following on from that efficiency vs appearances debate, I've often wondered about a really nasty looking building. This eyesore would actually have negative culture and possibly even negative population. Nobody will want near it. But the counter to this is that it will be the absolutely best producer of mana/seeds/something. That would offer up a real debate as to whether you want it in your city.
They've not been shy about making nasty eyesores that are actually useful buildings. There are many examples, but I'll start with the Gingerbread Mansion.

Gargon667

Mentor
They've not been shy about making nasty eyesores that are actually useful buildings. There are many examples, but I'll start with the Gingerbread Mansion.

The worst I can think of is the chess set lol.

Also why does the Park have to be useless? It can be a good culture producer or maybe something special, like a Culture boost building, adding 5% to culture boost, rather than actual culture. It could also produce seeds or mana, there are tons of options to make the park useful as well as pretty.

Pauly7

Magus
The worst I can think of is the chess set lol.
Yeah I find the Chess Set to be pretty dumb. I guess I can understand if some people like it though. I can't understand people liking the Gingerbread House though. It looks like a giant ice-cream fell out of it's cone and landed on the road.
Also why does the Park have to be useless? It can be a good culture producer or maybe something special, like a Culture boost building, adding 5% to culture boost, rather than actual culture. It could also produce seeds or mana, there are tons of options to make the park useful as well as pretty.
Some would say culture isn't useless anyway. If they were little 2x2 parks, I would probably have a few of them dotted around. If they just gave them really amazing culture (i.e. equivalent to some of the 4x3 culture buildings) then I would be down with that.

Hekata

Artisan
Slim chances I'd ever put it in my city unless it's small enough to be hidden by something else.

I have noticed that pure culture buildings and mana buildings are usually the prettiest buildings in events (for my taste anyway) and that's why I have way more culture and mana in my city than I need :) On the other hand it's very hard to find a good looking seed building. So far only 2 have been to my liking. Good thing there are some small seed producers that can be easily hidden.

And getting back to the topic, I like the idea of a park, I've been trying to put as much greenery in my city anyway and to actually make some spaces that look like parks... A lot of the spring/summer buildings we had so far were sort of park teamed - the whole May Tree event comes to mind, but a set that is a big park, I'd love that.

Pauly7

Magus
I still have 'Classy Lanterns' in my level 15 city.
Massively inefficient but really pretty imo.
Ha! I have a couple of classy lanterns too.

Mind you, I still have two or three "blue flowers" (chapter 1 culture) and several "small gardens" (from about chapter 4). Let's be honest I still have some of most things, so long as I liked them in the first place.

Sir Derf

Adept
I am now kicking myself that I didn't come up with this myself, what with all my outside-the-box musings and benefits with drawbacks...

Polluting factories?
A green-glowing cooling tower from a magical power plant?
Pumpjacks?
Port-a-Orc-Potties?
5G Towers?
Landfills?
Toxic Elvenade Leak?

Sir Derf

Adept
Of course, thinking about it, "negative culture" is kinda what normal buildings are, like workshops, manus, etc.

Edit - Not a criticism of the idea. I'm just feeling a little bummed that I didn't think of it first.

Last edited:

SkyRider99

Mentor
A subterranean level perhaps. With free parking and space for AWs or culture buildings.
And I'd like to be able to stack my residences into high-rise apartment monoliths and get some city space back.
Crazy I know. But nice to imagine.