• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

optional squad size upgrades

gathsdell

Soothsayer
I have heard lot's of different speculation on the subject of optional squad size upgrades,and am trying to get it clear. Do these upgrades still upgrade the enemies troops as well(rendering them undesireable,unless one likes bigger fights) or do they now ONLY affect ones own troops? Thus making them very desireable. Any input from those in the know would be very much appreciated

FieryArien

Necromancer
Technically neither (undesirable or very desirable the way you described it).

In tournament the optional squad size upgrades have simply no effect now. If you and some your friend had totally identical cities, except that you took the optional upgrades and your friend didn’t, you both would have exactly the same tournament squad size (yours as well as enemy’s).

In the world map it works just like it worked before: enemy squad size is fixed upon scouting the province. Your squad size grows with every squad size upgrade you take - making the fight easier and easier.

Spire works similarly to the new tournament (it’s been like this since it was introduced).

I should also note, that if you have wonders generating troops, they be making more of them, if you take optional squad size upgrades.

Gargon667

Mentor
Apart from the AWs it also decides how many troops you get from the troop instants. But all effects of SS are rather small nowadays, so it hardly matters what you do.
My thinking is: There is no negative impact of SS, but a few small positive ones, so I went for max SS when they introduced the new tourneys.

FieryArien

Necromancer
Apart from the AWs it also decides how many troops you get from the troop instants.
Right! I keep forgetting about them even when I (rarely) need more troops. One day I’ll remember. I hope. :D

That reminds me another advantage: Dwarven Bulwark wonder gives larger training size with the optional squad size upgrades. Not that I’d particularly recommend that wonder, but still.

On the other hand after taking the optional squad size upgrades, the quests asking for troops would ask for more troops, I think. Or am I wrong? That’s a disadvantage. In any case, it isn’t anything horrendous, since we now train in three buildings in parallel.

Personally I’m slowly filling up the KPs in optional squad size upgrades, but I’m in no rush in activating them.

gathsdell

Soothsayer
so if I am to understand correctly choose to take the optional SS upgrades or no makes no difference?

C-Nymph

Necromancer
In addition to getting more troops from AWs: you will also get more troops from the troop instants if you unlock the optional SS upgrades.

OldHag

Necromancer
Another effect of doing the ss upgrades is your world map, depending on how many provinces you have already scouted, can turn your unscouted provinces from 'hard' to 'easy' or 'easy to very easy', etc.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
And a bigger training size if you have a Dwarven Bulwark.
Indeed. Now that the optional SS upgrades no longer give penalties in the tournament, I really see no reason to leave them untouched. They're working as you would expect now, as SS upgrades should benefit your game, not harm it. So I'm using every "unlock 1 technology" quest to slowly work my way back through the tech tree to unlock all those optional SS upgrades :)

Pauly7

Magus
Indeed. Now that the optional SS upgrades no longer give penalties in the tournament, I really see no reason to leave them untouched. They're working as you would expect now, as SS upgrades should benefit your game, not harm it. So I'm using every "unlock 1 technology" quest to slowly work my way back through the tech tree to unlock all those optional SS upgrades :)
I completed all the option upgrades a month or so ago. Immediately my training queue in the barracks extended by a couple of hours.

gathsdell

Soothsayer
great stuff all yes I have 1 left on my tree shame we were forced to leave them behind before but now full steam ahead !! albeit slower traing que :))
thx G