• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Once upon a time there was a story.

DeletedUser1685

It is possible to go all the way through the Fairies age, start the Orcs and Goblins age and then find out that you have all the compulsory Fairies age story line quests to do, but you cannot, because you have deleted all the Fairies age buildings and built Orcs and Goblins buildings.

Then you need to get a game moderator to help you out with the impossible quests.

First off, I have a few questions.
1. Why make quests compulsory?
2. If quests are compulsory, then why make it possible to miss them?
3. Why would someone choose to skip the compulsory storyline quests?

There are a few issues here.
If a person has multiple cities then it's likely that doing the same quests is going to be boring. This probably might be exacerbated if the quests were not exciting to begin with.
The quest rewards are always exactly the same.
The story offers no choice. Everyone is compelled to follow the same path.

In short the story quests are not fun.

So what is possible, given the framework we have?

Let's assume that having a story for Elvenar is a good thing. After all, stories like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are massively popular, and that is the Elvenar genre. A story should be able to add to the game of Elvenar, not bore people.

Most online gamers are over 30 years old, with an even split between male and female. So a story should be fairly worldly if we want it to be popular.

With a game we have the ability to let players choose. For one thing that lets people with multiple accounts choose different outcomes and rewards. Rewards are the easiest way to let players choose, the quest is completed, and a dialogue screen pops up offering a series of choices of rewards. Outcomes is a lot more work, and probably not doable. But rewards could be changed, especially to allow things like troops as a reward.

To be honest I don't even know the story of the storyline quests, the main technical issue being when I go to click the quest head with the green tick, I often knock off the storyline popup that slides in from the bottom left of screen. Not knowing the story hasn't bothered me though because it doesn't change anything, and from what I have seen the story isn't entertaining to me.

Some of the story elements clash with the established backgrounds of the fictional elements.
For example, being elves and then hosting orcs in your city. Along with all their orc dung.
Now I know back in the Tolkein milieu that orcs used to be elves, but the story doesn't fit well in Elvenar because of that prior established background.

Overall, the story of Elvenar, or our city in it, is that we are a half-way house for all these wandering tribes.

I'd like that story to be more engaging, or even funny, and definitely more variable. Even if it is only being able to choose from a wider array of rewards.

Deleted User - 106219

Outcomes is a lot more work, and probably not doable. But rewards could be changed, especially to allow things like troops as a reward.
Depends on what you mean by "outcomes". In Forge of Empires certain quests change based on whether you used force when acquiring a province, or used ONLY negotiation. Some quests are available only if you used negotiation, while others are available only if you used force.

To be honest I don't even know the story of the storyline quests, the main technical issue being when I go to click the quest head with the green tick, I often knock off the storyline popup that slides in from the bottom left of screen.
I'll tell you a little secret: The text of that popup is exactly the same as the text of the quest window. As long as you read the text of the quest window you won't miss anything.

DeletedUser1685

I was thinking of differing options with story quests.
For example; departing orcs from your city attack arriving wood elves.

Combat; A combat map pops up with you commanding wood elf forces, you must win with a certain percentage left to succeed.
Trade Version; You must pay off a huge sum to the attacking orcs.

Combat success; Wood elf forces added to your army
Trade version; Wood elf spells added to your inventory

That way the actions taken are dissimilar, and the rewards can be too.

DeletedUser1685

I'll tell you a little secret: The text of that popup is exactly the same as the text of the quest window. As long as you read the text of the quest window you won't miss anything.

What purpose does the popup serve then, if it is the same as the quest window?

Perhaps a new use could be found for the sliding popup? Or perhaps remove it, one less thing to update?

DeletedUser4311

Wait what!? people read the "story"... I just click past it and make my own story XD

DeletedUser1685

Yep, that's what I do. And the people I meet. We chat about different things, in a fleeting way, mostly because we are older and have jobs and outside lives. But a story we were involved with might help. I love story. Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad show that people like good stories. We feel involved. Online games have a huge advantage because people can actually be IN the story, but I think they waste the advantage.