• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Oh my word what have they done ?

DeletedUser

If you want to look more closely at some Neighborhood Watch details, on us3 I'm tracking cities on the 1 o'clock map radial.
See https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/felyndral-neighborhood-watch.1247/
  • The purges always start in the exact center of the map, and proceed ring by ring looking for accounts that have been inactive for at least 30 days.
  • The new immigrants are likewise assigned to available sectors, starting in the middle.
  • Consequently, most of the activity will be focused on a couple of rings where the inactive users all joined at around the same date.
    • Yesterday we got 3 new immigrants, in ring 122 of 242
    • Four vacancies, all less than a week old, were carried forward
    • There were no new vacancies yesterday
    • The current replacement threshold is right at 60 days, rather than 30 days, so the developers are throttling how many cities they'll vacate, per day, perhaps based on how many immigrants have been arriving recently, rather than aggressively vacating every city that's been inactive for 31 days
    • There's also some balancing going on that steers new users to a particular world, because I'll go for a week with no new immigrants, and then suddenly get a half dozen per day for a couple of days.
You'll note that the point of the exercise is to determine what happens to users who have the misfortune of being stuck in the outermost ring on the map, but the more general issue is that cities with fewer than Nine Near Neighbors really should have the first crack at vacant sectors, before they're made available to new immigrants.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1295

I have a related question. On A, I have always had a lot of gaps near me, which I presume means I'm on an edge. I now have over half gaps on W, and they have already been there for three days, with a few more disappearing each day. Based on what's been said, these are possibly very large purges? I just find it frustrating to have lost so many neighbors, and not seeing any new ones appear.

Yes, active players would be better. But I would prefer some sort of option in the game of towns we could at least visit for coins.

Dear hdb1, I can fully understand your frustration about this - as many other players (including myself). Several useful suggestions to modify the current system have been supplied by players on this and other servers, all of which have been forwarded to the devs.

This is however not an easy issue to deal with and it will no doubt take some time for the devs to decide as to which is the best way to proceed.

I'm sorry I cannot give you any hope for any fast improvement, but I do hope you - and other players - will understand that the devs need to take into consideration the effects of any change on the game as a whole for any improvement on this issue.

DeletedUser

Luckily I have not had this issue badly since have only been on for over a month. However in my area. I have only come across 3 players out of over 30 that do play regularly.
So I can see where this will become a issue for me soon. The coin I get for visiting is used for my needed goods as well as research. In losing neighbors, I lose growth

DeletedUser

Dear hdb1, I can fully understand your frustration about this - as many other players (including myself). Several useful suggestions to modify the current system have been supplied by players on this and other servers, all of which have been forwarded to the devs.

This is however not an easy issue to deal with and it will no doubt take some time for the devs to decide as to which is the best way to proceed.

I'm sorry I cannot give you any hope for any fast improvement, but I do hope you - and other players - will understand that the devs need to take into consideration the effects of any change on the game as a whole for any improvement on this issue.

I do thank everyone for considering the impact, I just wanted to make it clear that if it was really just a few days, I could just suck it up. It's been a week now. I'm not rage quitting or anything, just very doubtful that I will recover in the next week even if they were supposed to fill back up in a few days, and it's been more than that already with no new neighbors. I get that inactive players need to be purged - even leaving their cities up for visits does take resources somewhere, but I hope that a solution can be found for those of us who regularly visited neighbors for coins.

DeletedUser

when my neighbours have changed their city name to retired or finished I think its safe to say they are not coming back

DeletedUser358

If you're (Inno) going to purge the inactive accounts, please merge the active ones together so we can still have the same amount of tiles to visit.
All this purging has resulted in my having maybe 35% of my hood left, which severely kills my gold income.

!!PURGE AND MERGE!!

DeletedUser

If you're (Inno) going to purge the inactive accounts, please merge the active ones together so we can still have the same amount of tiles to visit.
All this purging has resulted in my having maybe 35% of my hood left, which severely kills my gold income.

!!PURGE AND MERGE!!

While this is a great idea, how would it work in practice? I can imagine people starting to file complaints that they put x effort into discovering y neighbour and now find themselves removed from said neighbour due to reshuffling. Also, wouldn't this make the game less enticing to new players who'd end up being surrounded only by other beginners, most of whom quit anyway?

DeletedUser358

I'd rather be reshuffled from 2-3 active people to 10-12 active people than not.
As for the second point...those that have been here longer "theoretically" should be able to benefit from being able to be around others that are in the same boat.

The longer you play the game, the more you get reshuffled to your peers ... only makes sense.

DeletedUser

I have often considered the idea of "re-shuffling" the location of active players after a certain time period to relocate them closer together. Fact is, Elvenar is a magical world and no one really knows what happened to the other races... Perhaps the races altered this natural phenomenon to relocate their cities into a pocket universe in an attempt to save them from a massive Dalek attack?

Seriously though, this is not a bad idea (the relocation of players of course - not the Dalek invasion theory) considering the fantasy setting of the game and more importantly would make for a highly unique style of gameplay.

Would love to see this implemented, but I fear it might be too complicated. That's not to say it isn't possible though.

DeletedUser

I had an idea I think might help with the empty neighbor slot issues, and posted it in the idea forum. My elven city finally got new neighbors around it, but my human city on the edge still has the problem

DeletedUser530

I have been losing neighbours on an almost daily basis for the past 5 to 6 weeks. So far I have lost 29 of the 45 I had but not a single one has been replaced. As the vast majority of the remaining 16 neighbours are inactive it's only a matter of time before they go too. Since the west, north and north-east sides of my patch are barren lands I assume I am now on the edge of the world (I wasn't when I started). I can see a small number of totally isolated cities in the distance and so there is clearly a risk that I could end up the same way.

I visit neighbours every day and so am being deprived of a vast amount of rewards that I could use to expand my city. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm in an active fellowship I'd have jumped ship by now - that is still an option I have to consider on a daily basis.

DeletedUser1295

Dear scuby,
Once again I can only say that I feel for all that encounter this. The developers are taking this very seriously and have several options to explore this in order to resolve this issue. If you have any new suggestion for resolving this issue, please put it here.

DeletedUser530

If you want to look more closely at some Neighborhood Watch details, on us3 I'm tracking cities on the 1 o'clock map radial.
See https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/felyndral-neighborhood-watch.1247/
  • The purges always start in the exact center of the map, and proceed ring by ring looking for accounts that have been inactive for at least 30 days.
  • The new immigrants are likewise assigned to available sectors, starting in the middle.
  • Consequently, most of the activity will be focused on a couple of rings where the inactive users all joined at around the same date.
    • Yesterday we got 3 new immigrants, in ring 122 of 242
    • Four vacancies, all less than a week old, were carried forward
    • There were no new vacancies yesterday
    • The current replacement threshold is right at 60 days, rather than 30 days, so the developers are throttling how many cities they'll vacate, per day, perhaps based on how many immigrants have been arriving recently, rather than aggressively vacating every city that's been inactive for 31 days
    • There's also some balancing going on that steers new users to a particular world, because I'll go for a week with no new immigrants, and then suddenly get a half dozen per day for a couple of days.
You'll note that the point of the exercise is to determine what happens to users who have the misfortune of being stuck in the outermost ring on the map, but the more general issue is that cities with fewer than Nine Near Neighbors really should have the first crack at vacant sectors, before they're made available to new immigrants.

If this is true then it may explain why members on the edge, like myself, are not getting replacements. The replacements always restart from the centre and so do the deletions, so the inner rings are constantly being refreshed and the outer rings will only get refreshed if there is a surge of new members. The outer ring has the biggest circumference and therefore the greatest number of cities and probably the greatest number of vacant gaps.

Surely, the only fair way to do replacements is for them to continue all the way to the outer ring before starting again from the centre. The lucky ones in the centre already have neighbours all around them, but those on the edge may have neighbours on one side only, two sides at best.

DeletedUser

There's an approximately 60 day cycle on deleting inactive cities, and the algorithm always starts in the middle. So long as a world continues to grow then the current approach is sufficient, but if it's shrinking then your world map will end up looking like Nevada (or Beta.)

There are some strategies that would help, such as clustering new immigrants near active (high score) cities, but the necessary general solution will be the ability to Archive/Retrieve/Move cities.
  • Archiving will allow us to bench cities that have a Main Hall that's been under construction for too long
  • Archiving will allow us to bench premium and chapter III cities that are no longer active
  • If the owner DOES ever show up, then they'd "immigrate" into a vacant sector that had the correct (1 of 9) boost combination. They'd have different neighbors, but all of their acquired provinces could be replicated.
  • We can define "isolated," I've suggested using https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/nine-near-neighbors.1248/ as the criteria, wherein a city is isolated if more than half of it's nearest 6+12 neighbors are missing, which would favor cities on the edge of the map.
  • If we "archive" an isolated city, and then immediately "retrieve" it, we've accomplished a "move."
  • Once the map has been consolidated, if it's still large enough to accommodate 200 trading partners, then it doesn't really matter how much LARGER it actually is.

DeletedUser530

In that case I think I should be declaring a state of emergency in my city, as I have lost 2/3 of my nearest 6 neighbours and 3/4 of the next 12. Having lost 2 more since my last post I am now down to 14 of the 45 I discovered. You can archive and retrieve me anytime.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser530

The developers are taking this very seriously
It sure doesn't feel like that from my position. It's claimed that replacemt takes about 60 days. Is that 60 days from when they start deleting or from when they finish deleting? (ie does replacement chase deletion or does it only start once deletion is finished?) I started losing neighbours shortly after Christmas, which was 60 days ago. I have lost over 75% of them and only have 11 left (only 4 in the nearest 18) of 46 discovered, but there is no sign of cities being replaced even 2 rings away from me. It will take at least 10 more complete rings before I get a majority of my lost neighbours replaced, and many more before they are all replaced. As each ring has 6 more cities than the previous one, it will take longer and longer to complete them.

On 1 Jan you said " it will no doubt take some time for the devs to decide as to which is the best way to proceed". I didn't realise you actually meant some months. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel, or is this a situation that those of us at the edge of the world will suffer indefinitely, or repeatedly?

I gave up scouting weeks ago because there's nobody there to discover (except 2 inactive cities to the SE that are likely to be deleted).

DeletedUser1295

@scuby: "time is very relative: for some a month passes in a second, for others a second is like a month." ;)
Seriously now: I didn't realize either that it would take months, I have no crystal ball unfortunately...
What I do realize is that any real solution to this issue will not be easy to implement since it affects an essential fundament of Elvenar.

P.S. All feedback concerning this issue is truly being forwarded to the Elvenar developers.

DeletedUser358

time is very relative: for some a month passes in a second, for others a second is like a month.
Really? Cos I'm pretty sure that to all lucid people out there a month passes in A MONTH!

DeletedUser219

And, at the other end of the philosophical spectrum:
"A thousand ages in Thy sight are but an evening gone."
Our God our help in ages past, Isaac Watts (based on Ps 90)

And this is a 'God game' isn't it?:cool: