• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Noticing little details.

erebus

Seeker
I just encountered the existence of Marlo the turtle. I looked at the name and wondered why it was spelledl like that, and then I realised it was familiar.

Just going to swap some vowels a second, and we end up with Morla (from The Neverending Story).

Are there any other characters inspired by popular culture that I have missed?

8heC8CN_vk3_AYNl8EySF3sBH_2A1Tt8xSykyV5STYM.jpg
A_Gr4_Premium_Large2_1_0009.png

Gargon667

Mentor
I hope you all read the book! The movie was one horrible scene from beginning to end... One of the best examples for movies best never made.

erebus

Seeker
Yep.. there was a thread in an online group I am in saying that most people seem to find traumatic childhood movie moments bring to mind Simba's father... a whole bunch of us show of age by saying.. "oh no no.. Artax!"

I did notice the Elvenar art looking undeniably "Bruce" for the Halloween event :) "Groovy"... "you got that!?"

Deleted User - 1634960

And, of course, Orcs, introduced into literature in "The Last Battle", the first book of the Dune series written by George R.R. Martin. ;)
"The Last Battle" was the last of the Narnia series, written by C.S. Lewis. Google lists no other books by that name. Orcs were not present in Narnia.
Orcs were written into "The Lord of The Rings" before Martin was even born, although the book was not published until Martin was 2 years old. And Tolkien drew the term from far older texts.
I can find no "Dune" series except that of Frank Herbert, which did not contain Orcs.
Just some little details that I noticed. ;)

Sir Derf

Adept
I'm not sure you found the right reference...

I'm describing the book that was famously illustrated by Andy Serkis and edited by Dr. T. Geisel, DDS. It describes the rise from obscurity of Rand al'Thor, a child formed from clay and breathed to life by Marduk, who drew the Muramasa Blade from the paw of the Nemean Lion, signifying that he was The One, prophesied to defeat Voldemort by dousing him with a bucket of water, so as to take his rightful place as the Emperor of Mongo. :rolleyes:

Pauly7

Magus
I can't decide if this conversation is all for the sake of humour and everything made up or if it is actually about when Orcs first appeared in literature. I suspect it's the former (though the joke is lost on me). I don't wish to Google all the names, but yeah... I don't think there has been any collaboration between Andy Serkis, J K Rowling and Dr Seuss... and the guy off Blazing Saddles!

If it's a serious topic of conversation by any chance... Orcs first appeared in the poem Beowulf... and that's very old... from the dark ages. I believe Tolkien was the first one to define what an actual Orc was, though, and everybody else since has taken this as pretty much lore and copied his idea, more or less.

Gargon667

Mentor
I can't decide if this conversation is all for the sake of humour and everything made up or if it is actually about when Orcs first appeared in literature. I suspect it's the former (though the joke is lost on me). I don't wish to Google all the names, but yeah... I don't think there has been any collaboration between Andy Serkis, J K Rowling and Dr Seuss... and the guy off Blazing Saddles!

If it's a serious topic of conversation by any chance... Orcs first appeared in the poem Beowulf... and that's very old... from the dark ages. I believe Tolkien was the first one to define what an actual Orc was, though, and everybody else since has taken this as pretty much lore and copied his idea, more or less.

Don´t worry it´s not serious ;) And if people wanted to know what Orcs are, they could have just looked at me.

Gargon667

Mentor
That means that for being mostly dead, as opposed to all dead (thanks, Miracle Max), the risk would be negligible.
Exactly! Which is why zombies are so truly happy people!