• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Discussion News from Beta (may contain spoilers!)

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
I have to say this Halloween mechanic is one of my very favourites and I am quite excited for when this comes from Beta to live. Looks like you have pretty much nailed the mechanics already @Pauly7 The flask will clear one square away from all around where it is placed, so 8 squares can be revealed....

OldHag

Necromancer
oh, this sounds exciting to me (I don't get out much...lol)

Are temp level 1 w/s - manus good for this?

Sir Derf

Adept
Thanks @Pauly7 that informed a lot. I do still have a few questions for clarification. Well, more like a lot... ;)

They can be bought individually (candle = 10, lantern = 35, flask = 50), or they can be bought in packs (7 candles, 3 lanterns, 2 flasks costs 195 currency, or 18 candles, 7 lanterns, 7 flasks costs 420.) The packs represent better value, except you really need more candles comparatively.

So, the first pack, if bought individually, would cost 7*10 + 3*35 + 2*50 = 240, or a savings of 45.
The second pack, if bought individually, would cost 18*10 + 7*35 + 7*50 = 775, or a savings of 355.
The second pack, if bought with 2 pack 1s and leftovers, 2*195 + 4*10 + 1*35 + 3*50 = 615, for the real savings of 160.

I guess it necessitates working out actual playing strategies and payoffs to work out optimum purchasing strategy, but I'm guessing that it's probably better to buy either pack over buying either lanterns or flasks individually, in the long run.

I think there's something about this "clearing" that's still unclear to me.

Are there three possible states for a grid square? Dark, misty, clear?
You can see chest objects in misty squares.
Can you see cats in misty squares?
Can you see obstacles in misty squares?
Place a candle on a misty square, it becomes clear, and any dark NSEW squares from it become misty?
Place a lantern on a misty square, and it becomes clear, all squares above and below up to and including obstacles become clear, and all dark squares EW of cleared squares become misty?
Place a flask on a misty square, and it becomes clear, and any dark squares NSEW and diagonal become clear, or misty? or clear one away, and misty 2 away?

As you reveal the last square on the right of the visible grid then it scrolls again to the right. Anything that disappears from view on the left is then lost.

Reveal any one of the squares in the rightmost column, or reveal all of the squares in the rightmost column? If there were no obstructions, if I place eight candles in a horizontal line, does that do it, or would I need to put 5 more candles up/down the rightmost column?

Does that advance the grid by 1 column, giving us a fresh right column and losing a left column? Does it advance by 7? by 8?

If I use a lantern on the rightmost column, am I prevented from collecting newly revealed items from that rightmost column?

Are you guaranteed some prize from each chest thingee you find? You made it sound like each chest had an incomplete percentage of winning. Or is that there are 2,3,4 different things a chest could have, each with different percents, that total to 100% chance of getting something?

Are there cats in squares with chests? Are there cats in chests?

Sir Derf

Adept
Assumptions:

Cats and chests are visible, but uncollectable, in misty squares.
Cats and chests are collectible in cleared squares.
Cats, 20 at a time, allow progress through the Grand Prizes, which include the Artifacts.
Chests give randomized rewards, including random chances at daily prizes.

So, whether your goal is to get generic rewards or Dailys or Artifacts, the strategy is to Misty or Clear the most squares for the least cost. If your goal is generic/Dailys, if you misty a cat, there's not necessarily a need to clear it. If your goal is Artifacts, if you misty a chest, you might or might not want to clear it. And, if your goal is generic/Dailys, even if you misty a chest, depending on it's odds profile, you might or might not want to clear and collect it.

Yes?

I think I have to wait on answers to my earlier questions before speculating any further?

Sir Derf

Adept
So, is anyone running a count and statistics on the relative frequency of obstacles per identified squares, cats per identified squares, types of chests per identified squares? Do we have any attempts at relative frequencies of these things?

Sir Derf

Adept
A couple obstacle configuration questions...

Has anyone seen a horizontal dead end corridor? a left or right turn corner? A dead end spiral?
Has anyone seen a left or right turn hallway? A u-turn hallway?

Has anyone seen fully blocked squares, one with an obstacle on all four sides? Or an edge square with one obstacles on three sides? Or larger void configurations?

Sir Derf

Adept
Okay, that candle did something a little different than I expected.

He placed the candle on a misty square, which had a dark square immediately to the right.

That cleared 2 squares, both the misty square it was placed on, and the dark square to its right. it then misty-fied the three previously dark squares above, below, and right of the previously dark but now cleared square.

So a candle clears 2 squares, the played square and the neighbor to the right. Yes?

And the flask clears the played square and the eight surrounding squares, and will then misty-fy up to the 12 squares adjacent squares, 3 each left, right, above and below, provided they weren't blocked by obstacles. [Edit - I noticed somewhere it said that Lantern and flask needs to be played in an initially cleared square, so not on a misty square?]

Also also, I noticed that you can see the obstacles even in dark squares, yes?

Can you play a candle, lantern or flask on a cleared square, or must it always be played on a misty one? I'm not sure if I can think of any advantage to doing that?

FieryArien

Necromancer
Okay, that candle did something a little different than I expected.

He placed the candle on a misty square, which had a dark square immediately to the right.

That cleared 2 squares, both the misty square it was placed on, and the dark square to its right. it then misty-fied the three previously dark squares above, below, and right of the previously dark but now cleared square.

So a candle clears 2 squares, the played square and the neighbor to the right. Yes?
No. Candle reveals just the misty square you put it on.
The map contains some already cleared squares. You can’t see them upfront, but once you clear adjacent square, it is revealed automatically. (Note that I don’t know if all 8 or just 4 adjacent squares cause the revelation.)
And the flask clears the played square and the eight surrounding squares, and will then misty-fy up to the 12 squares adjacent squares, 3 each left, right, above and below, provided they weren't blocked by obstacles.
No, flask doesn’t clear the played square.
The rest is “yes”. Though I don’t understand why everyone (don’t mean you) operates with “up to 8 squares”, since some are already cleared by getting to the played square in the first place
Also also, I noticed that you can see the obstacles even in dark squares, yes?
Yes.
Can you play a candle, lantern or flask on a cleared square, or must it always be played on a misty one? I'm not sure if I can think of any advantage to doing that?
Lantern and flask only on cleared squares.
Candle on misty square.

Sir Derf

Adept
I just rewatched the SoggyShorts video again.

Battelship notation - rows A-G top to bottom, columns 1-8 left-to-right.

At 0:23, there are misty squares at D4, E4 and F4 (with the book chest at misty E4), and dark squares at D5, E5 and F5 and D6, E6 and F6.
He plays the candle on the misty book at E4.
at 0:25, the book at E4 is clear. And the square at E5 is also clear. Additionally, D5, F5 and E6 are now misty.

The candle in that video cleared two squares, the one it was played on, and the one to the immediate right.

Sir Derf

Adept
Simplified scenario to see if I got the mechanics.

I'm faced with the initial grid, misty column 1, dark columns 2-8. Assume no obstacles (probably never happens, but I said simplified.)

Candle at E1, E3, E5.
Lantern at E3 and E6.
I've now cleared or misty-fied 42 squares, from A1 to F7, yes?

Start over. Initial grid, misty column 1, dark columns 2-8. Assume no obstacles.

Candle at E1, E3, E5.
Lantern at D4.
Flask at B4.
I've now cleared or misty-fied or cleared 37 squares, from A1 to F6, plus E7, yes?

Edit - All wrong, see above.

Sir Derf

Adept
Okay, Candle is guaranteed to clear the misty square you place it on, and misty-fy up, down, left and right.

The joker is that some dark squares, when misty-fied, go straight to clear for free, which then misty-fies their neighbors.

Sir Derf

Adept
Simplified scenario, take 2.

I'm faced with the initial grid, misty column 1, dark columns 2-8. Assume no obstacles (probably never happens, but I said simplified.)

Candle at E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, E6.
Lantern at E3 and E6.
I've now cleared or misty-fied an additional 36 squares, from A2 to F7, yes?

Nominal cost 6*10 + 2*35 = 130, for a 3.61 per revealed (but not necessarily gettable) square.

Start over. Initial grid, misty column 1, dark columns 2-8. Assume no obstacles.

Candle at E1, E2, E3, E4, E5.
Lantern at D4.
Flask at B4.
I've now cleared or misty-fied or cleared an additional 30 squares, from A1 to F6, yes?

Nominal cost 5*10 + 1*35 + 1*50 = 135, for a 4.5 per revealed square?

Sir Derf

Adept
Candle E1, E2, E3, E4, E5.
Candle D4, C4, B4.
Flask B4.
same 30 additional squares, now 8*10 + 1*50 = 130, 4.33 per revealed square, yes?

Sir Derf

Adept
6 candles + 2 purchases of bundle 2 would give you 42 candles and 14 lanterns, enough to do my first method 7 times, clearing 252 squares for a cost of 900, averaging 3.57 per revealed square.

2 purchases of bundle 2 would give you 36 candles, 7 lanterns and 7 flasks, enough for my second method 7 times, clearing 210 squares for a cost of 840, averaging 4 per revealed square.