• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Discussion News from Beta (may contain spoilers!)

Jackluyt

Shaman
120558062_10217749213622703_1809121092258779312_o.jpg

BlueBlou

Illusionist
What is it with the frogs and a longer time as you progress up in level? Lol, hope it is a frog, kind of small.

Gargon667

Mentor
Finally a useful unit :) orcs are never wrong either, but the high culture instead of population makes me doubt the overall value... This one will be a bit harder to figure out.

Pauly7

Magus
It has seemed difficult to progress the path towards the artefacts on my first try. I burned through about 500 "ingredients" and got up to 10 out of 20 cats towards the first goal.

Pauly7

Magus
Can someone give a description on the operation of the Misty Forest, please?
I'm not sure exactly what you want to know, but all the squares can be in three states - dark, light/misty, revealed. The light/misty squares show if there's something hidden behind, but you can't yet collect it.

You have three objects to use - candles, lanterns and flash flasks. A candle can be used on any light/misty square to make it fully revealed. You can then collect any object that's there. Once a square is fully revealed you can then also use a lantern or a flash flask on it. A lantern will reveal the whole column above and below that square. The flask will reveal the 8 squares all around it. There could be obstacles in the way, like bushes or something. If there is, then the lantern or flask can't reveal what's beyond them.

Once a square is revealed, the square immediately adjacent becomes light/misty, so then you can then use a candle on it and that's how you keep advancing to the right.

Strategy is obviously a completely different concept to previous events. There is no considering which box to choose to give the best odds. The only thing I find you have to think about is that if you can see a prize that's behind a light/misty square, if I don't like the look of that box then I won't bother to even waste a candle on it.

It's interesting, but very hit and miss. Other than the prizes (similar to chests in past events), it's also possible to reveal free candles, flasks and lanterns hidden behind the square. You will also randomly reveal cats. Cats are the things to collect to collect to move you the 20 spots towards the next grand prize. You can only ever find one at a time (as far as I can tell), so it can be a really slow process.

You collect event currency similarly to previous events, but all this does now is allow you to "buy" more candles, lanterns and flasks. I've so far burned through 1,500 or so currency. I've now hit a daily prize 4 times and I've won 2 of the artefacts doing that. At this rate I'm not getting anywhere close to 9 artefacts. I'm just hoping at some point I'll realise how I've been doing it all wrong before it gets onto the Live game.

Sir Derf

Adept
Thank you. First, the parallels.

Old style currency spent on opening different chests with different costs; New style currency spent on candles, lanterns and flasks
Old style collect 20 stars/flags for each Grand Prize; New style collect 20 cats (friendly spirits) to get a daily prize.

But I still have questions...

What is the cost of the light sources? Fixed, or does it vary?

Where are the cats, and do they come up as singletons, in random quantities, or in some quantized fashion that you have control over deciding between?

Eventually on the grid we will find instances of 12 types of Cauldrons, Books, etc. Are these like the 9 types of chests? Since we're already spending currency on the light sources, I assume it doesn't cost currency to open them, but do they offer different odds at different rewards, like chests of past events, or are they more like the gifts in the past winter event, with a fixed but unknown prize? Is there any possible benefit or reasoning to decide to open one over another, or to not open one at all?

The visible grid is 6x8. Are we trying to clear a whole grid of 48 squares, at which point we are presented another? Is there a way to clear the current forest and start over? Is this a side-scroller, and if so, when does the grid scroll? If we clear a row, does it disappear tetris-style? (That would be very odd in the metaphor of a forest... Would a sudden subduction earthquake suddenly swallow that row of ground and bring the two edges together?) Does the map extend out in all four directions? Is there a fixed number of findable items per 48 squares?

On a different note, strategy...

Candles clear one square at a time. Any random square, or does it have to be contiguous with already exposed squares?

Lanterns sound like, optimally, you would use a candle to clear a first square in a column, and then a Lantern could reveal up to the remaining 5 squares in the column, yes? And, it sounds like bushes/hedges, whatever they are can block the the revelation of squares in that column behind the bush/hedge/whatever, yes?

Flasks, like the optimum is to clear two squares away, set the flask in the second square, and it will reveal the remaining 7 surrounding. Can a bush/hedge NSEW block the reveal of a corner square? Can a bush/hedge at the corner block the reveal of a NSEW square?

Pauly7

Magus
What is the cost of the light sources? Fixed, or does it vary?
They can be bought individually (candle = 10, lantern = 35, flask = 50), or they can be bought in packs (7 candles, 3 lanterns, 2 flasks costs 195 currency, or 18 candles, 7 lanterns, 7 flasks costs 420.) The packs represent better value, except you really need more candles comparatively.
Where are the cats, and do they come up as singletons, in random quantities, or in some quantized fashion that you have control over deciding between?
As far as I've seen so far the cats are always single. They can appear randomly behind any square.
Eventually on the grid we will find instances of 12 types of Cauldrons, Books, etc. Are these like the 9 types of chests?
Essentially yes.
Since we're already spending currency on the light sources, I assume it doesn't cost currency to open them
Once they are revealed they are free to open.
but do they offer different odds at different rewards, like chests of past events, or are they more like the gifts in the past winter event, with a fixed but unknown prize?
Exactly like the chests. If you hover your mouse over one it will tell you the probability of getting the daily, or a few KP, or a platoon of troops, etc, etc.
Is there any possible benefit or reasoning to decide to open one over another, or to not open one at all?
If the square is fully revealed then there is no downside to opening it. However, if the square is lit up/misty, you can see the probabilities/prizes in the tooltip and then make a decision on whether to use a candle to fully reveal it (make it collectable) or not.
The visible grid is 6x8. Are we trying to clear a whole grid of 48 squares, at which point we are presented another? Is there a way to clear the current forest and start over? Is this a side-scroller, and if so, when does the grid scroll?
As far as I'm aware the same grid keeps on going forever. As you reveal the last square on the right of the visible grid then it scrolls again to the right. Anything that disappears from view on the left is then lost. As it's unending and random, however, there is no sense in trying to reveal every single square that is passing. You are better served moving it along and allowing yourself to open up the most squares at once.
If we clear a row, does it disappear tetris-style?
No. It will just look like a blank row. Often times there are still obstacles in it (bushes, etc).
Does the map extend out in all four directions? Is there a fixed number of findable items per 48 squares?
It only scrolls right. The grid is always the same 6 squares high.
Candles clear one square at a time. Any random square, or does it have to be contiguous with already exposed squares?
Candles can only be used on a square that is lit up/misty. These are only the squares that are immediately adjacent the ones that are already fully revealed.
Lanterns sound like, optimally, you would use a candle to clear a first square in a column, and then a Lantern could reveal up to the remaining 5 squares in the column, yes?
Yes.
And, it sounds like bushes/hedges, whatever they are can block the the revelation of squares in that column behind the bush/hedge/whatever, yes?
Right. Let's say you click a candle in a square that is second from the bottom and there is an obstacle in the square that is third from the top. The lantern can then only reveal three squares.
Flasks, like the optimum is to clear two squares away, set the flask in the second square, and it will reveal the remaining 7 surrounding. Can a bush/hedge NSEW block the reveal of a corner square? Can a bush/hedge at the corner block the reveal of a NSEW square?
I'm not 100% on this without trying it again, but I'm fairly sure that the corner squares (or any square around the one being used, other than those with obstacles actually in them) are still revealed by the flask.

Last edited: