• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

New Feature: Challenges

• Thread starter DeletedUser3097
  • Start date

DeletedUser3543

Pros:
1. It's a new addition, personally I always approve of more features to the game. They keep the game fresh and may add up to fun sometimes.
2. Rewarding for smaller cities.
EDIT: 3. It doesn't feel like a must-do, and that's a good thing, since most other quest chain events feel too valuable to miss out on due to decent culture building rewards.
Cons:
1. Not rewarding enough for big cities, thus, these people may not be motivated enough to get out of their skin to reach the final prize, and rather just stick to their normal daily routine.(EDIT: Spell fragments and catalysts are rewards I wouldn't shy away from, it's an OK reward that you get without interrupting your gameplay)
2. This one may be minor, but, I don't think word "challenge" fits the name of this activity. Call it labor, rather. Craftsmen' Labors. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pauly7

Magus
I don't mind this at all as an alternative to Fellowship Adventures. The prizes don't mean much, but you can just go about your normal business without interrupting your game, but at the same time racking up points for prizes. It's also put on the screen fairly subtly so you can ignore it if you wish. If FA was this easy and subtle then maybe the bad prizes wouldn't matter so much.

Now if only the auto collect could be added to other events like the Fellowship Adventures in-particular. :)
You don't click to collect the badge as such in FA, but you do have to set the right task to active. If they (and I assume this is what you meant) set up FA so that everything relevant that you did automatically added itself towards the badge that asks for that thing then that would be an awesome change that would take the vast majority of the headache away from it.

DeletedUser2838

I'm curious. Why do some cities have a target of 4350 points required and some cities 3503 points required?

Thagdal

Sorcerer
im not going out of my way to do the challenges, just sticking to my usual routine of 3,3,3,9 so just getting fragments and catalysts is fine by me. im not worried on getting the carting library. if it was a wishing well it might be a different story.:p:D

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
Compared to the other events we have - the seasonal events, mini events and fellowship adventures, the challenges are less impressive. Much less impressive. The rewards are ok for the effort it takes - but to me it doesn't feel like an accomplishment.
This is not a challenge at all, and hardly justifies as event at all. To me they feel more like a part of something bigger.

If these "challenges" are meant to stay, to me they're lame but rewarding.

Still hoping that they are a test for a sensible interface to the fellowship adventures...

DeletedUser6967

I am happy with just the spell fragments, anything other than that is time-consuming and destroys my routine.

m4rt1n

Adept
I'm on target having build just 1 extra workshop and laying a few spells that I would use anyway, passing the half way mark just before the countdown hit 36 hours.
I was expecting it to be easy given the comments but it is quite a challenge, and requiring 15 min productions during my online time which for me is quite usual.

I am enjoying pacing myself for the target against the timer. :)

I very nice new feature, so @Dizzy Lizzie could you pass my thanks on to the Elvenar Development Team please. :D

DeletedUser4149

Compared to the other events we have - the seasonal events, mini events and fellowship adventures, the challenges are less impressive. Much less impressive. The rewards are ok for the effort it takes - but to me it doesn't feel like an accomplishment.
This is not a challenge at all, and hardly justifies as event at all. To me they feel more like a part of something bigger.

If these "challenges" are meant to stay, to me they're lame but rewarding.

Still hoping that they are a test for a sensible interface to the fellowship adventures...
lame and no sense of accomplishment are exactly the way i'd put these new challenges too. maybe the point was to just give more crafting material to younger cities or to come up w/ something that makes the tedious cycling of badges for adventures seem like more fun than these new challenges.
seems like just use a bunch of spells and start whatever workshop cycles you want is the best approach to these new challenges. no decisions, planning, or real thought required. the prizes, good or bad, won't change that.
there were plenty of good suggestions for new and more fun quests on the thread "news from beta" when we were commenting about how the winter event was just a re-run of the woodelvenstock event. but we never get any feedback from our suggestions anyways. i doubt many are even read in the 1st place, at least not by anyone who matters.

Deleted User - 106219

I'm on target having build just 1 extra workshop and laying a few spells that I would use anyway, passing the half way mark just before the countdown hit 36 hours.
I was expecting it to be easy given the comments but it is quite a challenge, and requiring 15 min productions during my online time which for me is quite usual.

I am enjoying pacing myself for the target against the timer. :)

I very nice new feature, so @Dizzy Lizzie could you pass my thanks on to the Elvenar Development Team please. :D
Which version of the challenge did you get? The version that requires 4350 medals is easy - just make 40 Toolboxes (each one gives over a 100 medals). The version that requires around 3500 medals (can't remember the exact number)... that one sucks. One Toolbox gives considerably less medals - way too low for something that takes 24 hours to make. For that version you'll need around 100 Toolboxes instead of just 40.

@Dizzy Lizzie Can we please get an explanation why some players got one version and other players got the other? That was never explained on Beta, and as far as I can see it has not been explained here, either. All that is known is that it is not based on current chapter or level of the MA.

Deleted User - 341074

Can we please get an explanation why some players got one version and other players got the other? That was never explained on Beta, and as far as I can see it has not been explained here, either. All that is known is that it is not based on current chapter or level of the MA.
Marindor said they were randomly testing 2 possibilities. Why they felt the need to test them on live again, I dunno.

DeletedUser7733

Which version of the challenge did you get? The version that requires 4350 medals is easy - just make 40 Toolboxes (each one gives over a 100 medals). The version that requires around 3500 medals (can't remember the exact number)... that one sucks. One Toolbox gives considerably less medals - way too low for something that takes 24 hours to make. For that version you'll need around 100 Toolboxes instead of just 40.

Can we please get an explanation why some players got one version and other players got the other? That was never explained on Beta, and as far as I can see it has not been explained here, either. All that is known is that it is not based on current chapter or level of the MA.

Maybe it's based on player's activity. I got the 3503 version and it seems to align quite well with my usual activity.

Deleted User - 341074

Maybe it's based on player's activity. I got the 3503 version and it seems to align quite well with my usual activity.
Or maybe the CM on Beta didn't lie, and it really is a random test.;)
as you noticed, we're currently testing 2 different setups (in terms of medals) to see what works best. :)
If it was based on anything like player activity levels, then the results of the test wouldn't be useful information. At least it wouldn't tell them which is better.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6967

Is it possible they are giving it to you based on the number of workshops, or how far in the game you have reached?

m4rt1n

Adept

@Dizzy Lizzie Can we please get an explanation why some players got one version and other players got the other? That was never explained on Beta, and as far as I can see it has not been explained here, either. All that is known is that it is not based on current chapter or level of the MA.

I got the 3503 version and am working my way through. I didn't have the privilege of space for extra workshops being days from the end of the Elementals.

DeletedUser7805

I liked it, I'm lvl 4 on the tech tree and it gave me a chance to get some spell fragments I needed.
3503 version

Pauly7

Magus
I'm on the 3,503 version. Whilst I haven't often bothered to sit down and do a bunch of 5 minute productions I have (just for a giggle) cast two months' worth of culture spells on a couple of buildings. Other than that I have just been collecting my 9 hour and 3 hour productions with just a few 1 hour and 5 minute productions thrown in.

Anyway... it's all fine, but I don't really feel in much danger of getting the "top" prize at the end. I've just gone past 2,000 points.

DeletedUser5976

Orcs and got 3503 version. Not going to complete it as I don't have space for extra workshops either, being in the middle of Orcs. Having a way to earn some extra fragments is nice and the mechanic of earning the medals is also very good. I would like to see a version with Neighbourly Help :D