• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Moving into Dwarves - advice

DeletedUser2734

Hi all!!

I'm about to be moving in Dwarves [yyeeaaaahhh!!!]
and inspite of the excitement, I am also concerned (!)
regarding the preparations I ought to do for when I go in Dwarves.

i.e. not all my tier-buildings are fully upgraded so far - Do I Need to have them fully upgraded prior to the Dwarf-stage, or is it OK to upgrade some while I've advanced there
I also understand that some more space will be needed, but as I saw the new buildings which are required do not really occupy that much space so I assume that 1 or 2 expansions will be sufficient... Right? ... :)

So, I'd appreciate any & all advice and the lights that you can shed with me! :)

Thank you in advance!
:rolleyes:;):cool:

Deleted User - 106219

Have you read this thread? If not - you definitely should.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tier-buildings", but you definitely don't need to have everything upgraded to max. And no, two expansions won't be enough - the portal at max level takes one expansion...

DeletedUser2734

Thanks for your reply, shadowblack - the link you provide has great info,
and your post there has great information! Wonderful!
I'm sure it'll be much needed for when I go into Dwarves,

but for now my question is
if/what I'd need as for preparation in advance,
since I still have a few researches to complete before I actually enter Dwarves

EDIT

:)

PS- as tier-buildings I meant my boosted buildings

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 106219

You're welcome. :)

One thing to remember is that my post in that thread is a little outdated. It was made at a time when the Elite Archer/Master Crossbowman research was in the Orcs chapter and had not been moved to the Dwarves chapter yet. So now there's one more tech that needs to be researched, and that changes the order somewhat. Fortunately it does not require any Granite or Copper.

As for what you might need:
I suggest you take a look at the techs in the Dwarves chapter, specifically the cost of unlocking each one, and make sure you will have enough resources. If you are short on a particular resource it might be a good idea to start aquiring it ahead of time.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
I used 10 granite mines and 5 cooper mines with the portal that required, with the paths, about 4 expansions...
you can have more or less of each but try to keep the 2 granite/1 cooper ratio and first upgrade all mines as well as the portal to level 4 before to start producing the goods for the researches to save time...
After the dwarven chapter, try to keep that room for next host's settlement that will require a little bit more room each...

DeletedUser2734

Thanks to you both!
OK, all these things seem realistic [for where I stand in the game] and plausible, so no problem!

I had the notion/thought/fear that there might be changes like buildings needing more population/goods to upgrade,
so this is how my concern arouse, but of what you tell me it's kinda normal stuff! LOL

Have a good one, & thanks again!

PS- Shadowblack, and now 1 more research got added as of y'day - the Banshee! LOL
I had a couple researches to finish before going into Dwarves, now it's 'a few'!
Hahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1829

I also understand that some more space will be needed, but as I saw the new buildings which are required do not really occupy that much space so I assume that 1 or 2 expansions will be sufficient... Right? ... :)
This thread may be of some interest in relation to space
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/how-much-guest-race-space-do-you-have.5304/

As to boosted goods there is no issue if they are not maxed, it simply comes down to are you acquiring sufficient goods to meet your needs, if yes then no problem.

DeletedUser2734

Thanks, Mykan!
As is usually the case, your input is so clear & helpful! :)

Yes, as far as the goods' upgrades are concerned what you're saying makes very good sense!
Anyhow, I am indeed upgrading as much as possible
-and will also check it out with the requirements of the new buildings!

As for your link regarding space, I will check asap!

Thanks again!
:cool:

DeletedUser

I have 6 expansions reserved for my Dwarf buildings which is enough for a fully upgraded Portal, 10 granite mines, 5 copper foundries, and the portal tracks to connect them. Still leaves a few squares left over for other uses. This was just how it most easily fit into my current city and I'm sure there is probably a way to save on some more space by better placement of portal tracks. My city has extra room anyway so I'm not too concerned about the layout.

The bonus is that you do get 6 expansions in the Dwarf tech tree and you will get a few more via the world map as you have to go from 100 provinces at the beginning to 130 provinces to unlock fairies. I think I'm at about 140 provinces unlocked.

Good luck.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
This thread may be of some interest in relation to space
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/how-much-guest-race-space-do-you-have.5304/

As to boosted goods there is no issue if they are not maxed, it simply comes down to are you acquiring sufficient goods to meet your needs, if yes then no problem.
Hi Mykan, I don't want to create an account on the us forum so I post here my host space needs for your stats on the US forum...

Dwarves
I used 10 granite mines + 5 cooper mines so with the portal and the trails I needed 6 expansions (129 cells)
With all upgraded to lvl4, my production was balanced with my KPs production but I had no AW at this time so I stopped the encounters...
70 days to complete

Fairies
I used 4 dayfarms lvl3 + 3 nightfarms lvl4... with portal and trails -> 7 expansions (161 cells)
39 days with the maths, 60 for real

orcs
2 rally points and 20 shroom factories + portal +trails -> 8 expansions (200 cells)
47 days with the maths, about 90 for real...

Woodelves
4 fabrics + 6 marble + 6 steel + 4 wood + glade and trail -> 9 expansions (224 cells)
100 days (estimation based on "lazy" 9h cycles... can be less)

edit : number of grafting sites corrected

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Dwarves
I used 10 granite mines + 5 cooper mines so with the portal and the trails I needed 4 expansions
With all upgraded to lvl4, my production was balanced with my KPs production but I had no AW at this time so I stopped the encounters...
70 days to complete

Curious on your layout to get this to fit into 4 expansions.

10 granite mines x 6 squares = 60 total squares
5 copper foundries x 6 squares = 30 total squares
1 level 4 dwarf portal x 25 squares = 25 squares

total squares without portal tracks = 115

115 / 25 = 4.6 expansions without portal tracks.

DeletedUser2734

Guys & Gals,.
all these expansions, I understand,
are needed until the finishing of the relevant settlement - right? !!!

For a moment, I got desperate
:confused::eek:o_O

LOL

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
Curious on your layout to get this to fit into 4 expansions.

10 granite mines x 6 squares = 60 total squares
5 copper foundries x 6 squares = 30 total squares
1 level 4 dwarf portal x 25 squares = 25 squares

total squares without portal tracks = 115

115 / 25 = 4.6 expansions without portal tracks.
you're right lol, I forgot the dwarve's mine were 3x2, i counted them 2x2... so I needed a little bit more than 5 expansions for real... thanks to notice ;)
Previous post corrected

Guys & Gals,.

LOL
Yes but because you'll need them for next hosts settlement, you'd better consider them as "reserved" from dwarves' age until... what ever the end will be :p

Last edited:

DeletedUser1829

Guys & Gals,.

LOL

These are the total number of expansions people have used for all of the guest race buildings they have used for each guest race. So these include fully upgraded portals. You can build your way towards them, everyone must decide the strategy that suits them. For dwarves the 2:1 ratio is recommended if fully upgrading copper and granite. 12/6 or 10/5 are the common builds suiting different peoples space and tolerance for getting stuck, some people build much more.

For most guest races the plan is normally go immediately for the special resources and ignore non-essential techs (can even do this for some techs in the era prior). The idea is to start producing thos unique resources as soon as possible while providing as much tech research as possible that don't need those techs so you can build/upgrade and get production levels up.

That link I sent you also gives you an idea of future guest race space so you can plan to reserve the space as you move along the various guest race eras.

Edit: @tonton-des-bois if its ok with you i will copy your post into the other forum to add to the discussion.

DeletedUser2734

Mykan & tonton-des-bois Thanks!

Yes, it is very important information and very needed too -
though since this thread had the aim to be facilitated/adviced/informed on the Beginning the Dwarves/Settlements

I like to clarify this so that somebody who reads won't get desperate that all this is needed from the start

Enjoy your day!!
:cool:

DeletedUser2378

Hello all!!
Very good advice and much appreciated for anyone who is at this stage of moving into Dwarves!

I wonder, is there some advice on the "Where" it is preferable to be building these new Dwarven buildings,
the Dwarven Portal -in particular- is it good to be near the MH, or is it irrelevant?

Deleted User - 106219

It doesn't really matter, but personally I prefer to put both the portal and the guest race buildings on the side of my city, so that they don't get in the way. This also makes it easier to plan my city, since guest race buildings need their own road, different from the regular roads used by the rest of the city.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
Myself, I fixed definitely my MH to the upper corner of the city because the new expansion rows that appear with each new race are bottom left or right so I don't need to redesign the upper part of my city a lot... my "working area" is at the opposite (the bottom) so my settlements are there too, generally at the end or along my "last" road for the portal connexion ;)

DeletedUser

orcs
2 rally points and 20 shroom factories + portal +trails -> 8 expansions (200 cells)
47 days with the maths, about 90 for real...

Woodelves
4 fabrics + 4 marble + 4 steel + 3 wood + glade and trail -> 8 expansions (191 cells)
100 days (estimation based on "lazy" 9h cycles... can be less)
I seem to remember when I was doing Orcs the main questline called for 3 rally points, and then later on the Woodelves the main questline calls for 6 marble, 6 steel and 4 planks so if you are following the main questline you may find you need to build additional buildings and therefore allow more expansions.