• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

More troops good - more enemies bad.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Seemingly an ironic banner, sometimes displayed at login:

1663915364095.png

Is there another banner that says, 'The harder you try, the more we punish you.'

Being able to send more troops appears to give the advantage of being able to lose more troops against larger enemy squad sizes. Or is that just my SNAFU paranoia kicking in? ;)

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
The way I understand it is that you only lose more troops when you lose the whole battle. Other than that it’s an advantage to have a bigger squad size as it’s easier to win. Also the research squad size upgrades only increase the squad size of the troops in the world provinces encounters not in the tournament. The tournament and Spire have their own special formula since they’ve changed it all couple of years ago.
Personally, I never lose in the world province encounters so squad size upgrades only benefit me. Actually, I rarely lose any encounters as I run out of troops before that.

schadenfreude

Enchanter
Being able to send more troops appears to give the advantage of being able to lose more troops against larger enemy squad sizes.
This true, although Squad Size was removed from Spire/Tourney calculations in Oct 2020 so Squad Size techs mostly only affects map provinces, unless they were a mandatory tech in the tech tree. Map provinces have more to do with scouting. For example, I am under-scouted so all my map provinces are "Very Easy". I can pretty much close my eyes and randomly select any 5 units and walk away with a win. If I take it more seriously and select units properly, then I can almost do them without much of a scratch since, for the most part, your units go before the enemies and if the province is "Very Easy", you can kill them in one shot. If you sneeze, the enemy will fall over and die.
The way I understand it is that you only lose more troops when you lose the whole battle.
Oh, it will hurt in the upper provinces for sure, even without even losing the whole battle. For example, Mist Walkers go before everyone, whether you are playing a human or an elf. In the upper provinces, the enemy stacks could be 2x+ your stack size. So one freebie shot out of her will hurt a lot! In the last Planks tourney, there was one upper encounter where I faced 3 Mist Walkers. I watched helplessly as they destroyed almost 2 full stacks before I am even allowed to move. Had to fight it down a man and another stack barely hobbling. :eek:o_O

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
In the last Planks tourney, there was one upper encounter where I faced 3 Mist Walkers. I watched helplessly as they destroyed almost 2 full stacks before I am even allowed to move.

Maybe you need more troops so you have more of them left for your turn. ;):cool:

schadenfreude

Enchanter
Maybe you need more troops so you have more of them left for your turn. ;):cool:
The ratio of your troops to enemy troops at the same encounter in the Spire and Tourney is the same for everyone so you can't add more troops and Squad Size is not a factor in Tourney/Spire (unless it's a mandatory tech). The enemy type combo is a somewhat random mix with slight tilt towards certain class types for each tournament. Plank tourney is heavy on Light Range. So if you roll 3 Mist Walkers, it kinda majorly sucks since you can't overcome their high initiative. You can't do anything but play sitting duck and take 3 shots.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
The ratio of your troops to enemy troops at the same encounter in the Spire and Tourney is the same for everyone so you can't add more troops and Squad Size is not a factor in Tourney/Spire (unless it's a mandatory tech). The enemy type combo is a somewhat random mix with slight tilt towards certain class types for each tournament. Plank tourney is heavy on Light Range. So if you roll 3 Mist Walkers, it kinda majorly sucks since you can't overcome their high initiative. You can't do anything but play sitting duck and take 3 shots.
I thought we're talking about world map provinces. They are mainly the ones that get affected by the squad size increase through squad size upgrades researches (mandatory ones slightly influence tournaments as well but that's a different discussion).
World map provinces enemies are fixed once you complete the scouting but you can increase your squad size by researching squad size upgrades and therefore have more troops to take to the battle against the same size enemies and win easier as we said in your example you've given earlier. Sorry I don't know how to explain it any better.

schadenfreude

Enchanter
I thought we're talking about world map provinces. They are mainly the ones that get affected by the squad size increase through squad size upgrades researches (mandatory ones slightly influence tournaments as well but that's a different discussion).
World map provinces enemies are fixed once you complete the scouting but you can increase your squad size by researching squad size upgrades and therefore have more troops to take to the battle against the same size enemies and win easier as we said in your example you've given earlier. Sorry I don't know how to explain it any better.
Yes, I acknowledged that part about map provinces and difference between Spire/Tourney, but if you read what I wrote, I specifically said:
In the last Planks tourney, there was one upper encounter where I faced 3 Mist Walkers.
So I was referencing tourney in that example. :)