• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Question merc camp

cherri

Novice
am wondering wether to keep the merc camp i honestly dont us eit that much, i have it at level 20 but even at this level i just dont use it like i do the other 2. i want to get rid of it and make space or should i just leave it as is

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
So rare your case... Mercenary Camp is the best training site that this game has, here you produce 3 of the best units of all the game if you´re an elf which are: Ranger, blossom mage and valorian guard (even tho treants perform better in some cases than Valorian guard), the other two best units of all the game that correspond to LM and HR are cerberuss (LM) and Orc strat (HR) both produced in the Training grounds.
You´re free to erase it, it is your game, but you will regret it (like hard) in the future.

Last edited:

Gargon667

Mentor
am wondering wether to keep the merc camp i honestly dont us eit that much, i have it at level 20 but even at this level i just dont use it like i do the other 2. i want to get rid of it and make space or should i just leave it as is

It´s not the Merc Camps fault that you don´t use it. What does not use it even mean? You are not producing troops there 24/7? Or you don´t use the units you make there?
You´d better make sure all 3 of your troops producing buildings produce 24/7. Even the training grounds is not entirely useless anymore now that it has its own queue.
If you´re not using the units from there, you are missing out on using some of the most powerful units in the game. Being human it is not quite as obvious for you as it is for us elves, but still, the Rangers are the best LR unit in the game for you, the frogs are (at least in the tourney range you´re playing at) the best of all HR units. While the other units in the camp are close to the best you have from other buildings, but you´ll probably have no time to make those as you´ll be busy enough making Rangers and Frogs...

So learning how to use the Merc Camp is your way to improving your tourney/spire performance.

I just had a peek at your town, I am not sure why you built it the way it is, but either you have built it to log in only rarely (in which case I guess it is OK the way it is, I have little experience in that way of playing) or you have some parts of your city way out of proportion, in which case you can make as much space as you like, I´d guess at least 25% or more of your city are superfluous...

Sorry I don´t have enough information on what you are doing right now and what you are trying to accomplish, to give any real advice.

Pauly7

Magus
If you´re not using the units from there, you are missing out on using some of the most powerful units in the game. Being human it is not quite as obvious for you as it is for us elves, but still, the Rangers are the best LR unit in the game for you, the frogs are (at least in the tourney range you´re playing at) the best of all HR units. While the other units in the camp are close to the best you have from other buildings, but you´ll probably have no time to make those as you´ll be busy enough making Rangers and Frogs...
Let's not forget the Blossom Mages. They will wipe the floor with any other mage unit.

Gargon667

Mentor
Let's not forget the Blossom Mages. They will wipe the floor with any other mage unit.

Humans have Priests, so they don´t need them as much as we elves do ...
And that IMO is the big advantage for humans, they can make half the good units (Priests and some Paladins) in the barracks and half in the Merc Camp (Rangers and Frogs), while we elves have to make Blossoms, Rangers, Frogs and even some Vallorians in the Camp, while the only important unit in the barracks is the Golem...

Giraffi

Enchanter
Have any of you calculated what the effect would be if you did not have the AW boosts that some of you do have?

Pauly7

Magus
Humans have Priests, so they don´t need them as much as we elves do ...
Priests are decent, but Blossoms are better. A lot of my troops are time boosted so then it's not as important to concentrate the Merc Camp on making Frogs and Rangers.
Have any of you calculated what the effect would be if you did not have the AW boosts that some of you do have?
They would not be as good, of course, but those boosts help the troops from all of the buildings.

kimkimkim

Summoner
@cherri ....late game player who does not have the mercenary camp in their chapter 16/17 human city and I am doing just fine without it

Pauly7

Magus
@cherri ....late game player who does not have the mercenary camp in their chapter 16/17 human city and I am doing just fine without it
Have you ever had a Merc Camp? It would be easy to think you're fine without it if you haven't tried using those troops... Or unless you cater only, which would be a different matter.

Gargon667

Mentor

No need to calculate, just look at the units in the wiki ;)

What I guess you really want to know is how would one perform in tourneys without the AWs? Impossible to calculate, but of course it depends also on which AWs, the speedup effect might be easier to calculate, as it is only troop numbers that would be reduced and therefore it would be possible to calculate how much one could do with fewer troops all else being equal. But damage/hitpoint AWs are impossible to say, so I won´t even bother trying.

Gargon667

Mentor

that depends on the definition of "just fine", so I beleive that statement is true. However, I would bet you would do better with the Merc Camp. But if you´re happy with how things are then of course there is no reason to change anything :)

Gargon667

Mentor
Priests are decent, but Blossoms are better. A lot of my troops are time boosted so then it's not as important to concentrate the Merc Camp on making Frogs and Rangers.

I am with you there, most of my troops are boosted so for me personally it wouldn´t matter, but I am a rather extreme case ;) @cherri here is certainly not in that situation... I would guess much more the opposite...

kimkimkim

Summoner
Have you ever had a Merc Camp? It would be easy to think you're fine without it if you haven't tried using those troops... Or unless you cater only, which would be a different matter.
I have a Merc Camp in my elf city so I do know how the troops are and yes I use them there and I only fight in that city......my human city, I purposefully did not build the Merc Camp because I wanted to see what it would be like not having it and solely rely on my barracks and training grounds for troops, that city I only fight as well, no catering what so ever and my tourney average is over 2,000....

kimkimkim

Summoner
that depends on the definition of "just fine", so I beleive that statement is true. However, I would bet you would do better with the Merc Camp. But if you´re happy with how things are then of course there is no reason to change anything :)
I'm not one to go all out and crush it in tournaments just to gain a few ranking points......doing "just fine" is maintaining a decent average for tournaments all the while helping my 10+ chest fellowship gain all the rewards that a fellowship with "tourney crushers" gain as well

Gargon667

Mentor
I only fight as well, no catering what so ever and my tourney average is over 2,000....

Well as I said... it is all relative, but 2k points isn´t even 6 rounds on ten provinces.
You´ll reach that result no matter what you do as long as you play the game somewhat actively, you can do it without Merc Camp, without Barracks and without Training grounds, it´s not even hard to cater that, which says it all.

So if that is all you´re interested in then you´re definitely fine, which may also be the answer that the original post was wondering about. But even then I really can´t see why anyone would consider deleting the Merc Camp, but keep the Training grounds instead. If somebody wants to go fight less, then by all means get rid of both the buildings. And don´t upgrade the barracks any further (can´t sell them). I´ll probably never understand why anyone who wants only 2k in tourneys bothers with troops and fighting at all. Just go catering you accomplish the same points with 10% of the time investment. The whole point of fighting is that one can perform way better than with catering. For most people it just means more rewards. I am not even doing it for the rewards anymore, just for the fun of doing it :)

CrazyWizard

Shaman

They would not be as good, of course, but those boosts help the troops from all of the buildings.
I have to disagree on this one big time.
1622316248836.png

Priest have:
~25 % lower attack per weigt.
~19% more HP per weight
A much higher offence vs heavy range

A much lower offence vs heavy melee which does not matter as heavy melee is not a thread in any shape or form anyway.
More defence vs heavy range
No defence vs heavy melee which does matter anyway since they never come in a position to strike you anyway.
Better defence breaking capability
Better offence reducing capability

Lower intitiative

The worst part of the priest is the lower attack per weight, this is a mayor disadvantage, but in every other stat is't way way way better.
The only other parts it's worse than the blossom mage, is agains heavy melee, but heavy melee has no range to ever strike your mages anyway.
They are sitting ducks by nature vs both the blossom mage and the priest.

In general your priest will suffer a lot less losses on the battlefield with more HP and some of the lower attack is offset be the higher reduction of enemy defence and offensive powers the only exception when initiative becomes a critical issue
This is prevelant when you are opposing thornrose mages on the battlefield. switching to blossom or a combination of blossom mages and priest might be the solution.
The other thing is when you try to create a diversion for the enemy mistwalker when using the exeptions in the AI system.

But for general purpose I would always pick the priest over the blossom mage, unfortunately as an elf I am not in the position to choose the priest over the elf.

Pauly7

Magus
Priest have:
~25 % lower attack per weigt.
~19% more HP per weight
A much higher offence vs heavy range

A much lower offence vs heavy melee which does not matter as heavy melee is not a thread in any shape or form anyway.
More defence vs heavy range
No defence vs heavy melee which does matter anyway since they never come in a position to strike you anyway.
Better defence breaking capability
Better offence reducing capability

Lower intitiative
I don't study these numbers in the detail that you have, but I also know that in Elvenar the combat stats like this are only a piece of the puzzle.

Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the Priest. I train quite a lot of them and will sometimes favour them when I have battles that are facing predominantly HR enemies. However, I also know that on average the Blossoms consistently outperform Priests.

Maybe it's because I find Blossom Mages more effective against HR than Priests are against HM. Priests attacks against HM often just bounce right off. OK, sometimes you can stay out of their way, but if you aren't hurting them, if the battlefield is clear and they have attack range of 2, then they will catch you in a hurry.

Pauly7

Magus
I have a Merc Camp in my elf city so I do know how the troops are and yes I use them there and I only fight in that city......my human city, I purposefully did not build the Merc Camp because I wanted to see what it would be like not having it and solely rely on my barracks and training grounds for troops, that city I only fight as well, no catering what so ever and my tourney average is over 2,000....
So yeah, I guess this is more a case of not actually needing the Merc Camp to do what you do. Still... you have a Training Grounds. That's confusing.

cherri

Novice
after reading all the comments am still confused which isnt hard to do lol, i auto fight and i cater for the tourny and my only goal is to help get to the tenth chest and get kps for research any thing else is a bonus. I have used merc camp at times just to see but honestly i just perfer the others, i seem to have upset some which wasnt my aim, and the the person who said because of the lay out of my city i must only play rarely I dont i log on ever day My city suits me but i must admit once i finsih this race i will be doing a little remodeling. thank you to all that answered but i am still confused lol

kimkimkim

Summoner
after reading all the comments am still confused which isnt hard to do lol, i auto fight and i cater for the tourny and my only goal is to help get to the tenth chest and get kps for research any thing else is a bonus. I have used merc camp at times just to see but honestly i just perfer the others, i seem to have upset some which wasnt my aim, and the the person who said because of the lay out of my city i must only play rarely I dont i log on ever day My city suits me but i must admit once i finsih this race i will be doing a little remodeling. thank you to all that answered but i am still confused lol
@cherri , your city, your play style, you do what you want to do....if you're not using the troops in the mercenary camp (which btw no one needs to in order to achieve a descent score for tourneys all the while helping your fellowship) then by all means get rid of it.....it looks as though you are doing "just fine" without it.....and another note, I too looked at your city and that too looks "just fine"
sincerely,
another "just fine" player;)