• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Martial Monastery - RIP off!!

• Thread starter DeletedUser8688
  • Start date

DeletedUser8688

There is nothing in the information about this Ancient Wonder to indicate that you need to build it next to a road. I am limited on space and used up my only remaining expansion to build this on a new expansion that can't be reached buy a road in my city. I was then told it needed to be next to a road. This left me a few (all annoying or disruptive to my city) options -

1 Sell the building - losing all of the runes used to build it.
2 Leave it where it was until I can get another expansion that I can access by a road, tying up a builder indefinitely.
3 Sell another building, or several buildings, so that I can accommodate this large Ancient Wonder (at best disrupting my city & wasting time).

I Chose option 1, I decided that losing something I didn't have was preferable to the other alternatives. Other buildings make it clear whether they need a road, why not the Ancient Wonders? The ones that provide money, Produce & Goods are obvious that they need a road, but the Martial Monastery doesn't provide any of these so it is easy to assume that, like Needles of the Tempest, no road is required.

FieryArien

Necromancer
Ouch, I’m sorry to hear that. That was indeed a tough decision to make! :-((

I play in the app and there it says that wonders need road connection. Here’s an example for Tome of Secrets:
433D93C2-A27C-42EB-A38B-91639699C927.jpeg

However, you mentioned Needles of the Tempest as an example of a wonder that does not need road. As far as I know that is not true ... Actually I just tested it (moved Needles into empty space) and it was immediately shown as inactive, the animation stopped and my barracks training speed suffered a huge drop. (But as I said, I play in the app and I’m not sure how it behaves in browser.)

DeletedUser

I agree, there should be a road icon in the build menu, as all wonders require a road, the PC version doesn't. All wonders need a road to work, no matter what version is played.

FieryArien

Necromancer
Velic, if you are interested in general rule, it is this: people and/or culture buildings don’t need roads. If a building does anything else besides providing culture or people, it needs road for that additional effect to work. And as you already found out, there is also the problem with builder needing road connection to be able to build such a building ...

m4rt1n

Adept
I made the same error with my first AW as a new player, not realising it needed a road until I built it so suggest that the PC version make that clearer.

Pauly7

Magus
Velic, if you are interested in general rule, it is this: people and/or culture buildings don’t need roads. If a building does anything else besides providing culture or people, it needs road for that additional effect to work. And as you already found out, there is also the problem with builder needing road connection to be able to build such a building ...
I know it's not what you meant, but just to save any confusion - all residences need road connections too.

DeletedUser8688

Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated.
When I wrote this I hadn't realised that my Needles of the Tempest was attached to a road, I moved it & found out that it needed to be and was, before I moved it. Moved it back straight away.

Hopefully this post may help others making the same mistake.

I think I may raise a bug report on this and others things that are not the same between PC & app versions. it is quite annoying!

Alcaro

Necromancer
just a piece of advice ... I you are decided to sell the Monastery, you might want to wait until there is another AW needing relics. When you sell an AW you get back runes and with a bit of luck they might broke into shards or broken shards [is my English that bad? but from what I know a shard is already broken .. sounds a bit weird "broken shard"] and you can use them to complete that circle and forge a rune for the desired Wonder.

m4rt1n

Adept
just a piece of advice ... I you are decided to sell the Monastery, you might want to wait until there is another AW needing relics. When you sell an AW you get back runes and with a bit of luck they might broke into shards or broken shards [is my English that bad? but from what I know a shard is already broken .. sounds a bit weird "broken shard"] and you can use them to complete that circle and forge a rune for the desired Wonder.

Are you sure you get runes back on the sale of an AW, I always thought you lost everything invested in it.
(Runes, KP and all levels)

An AW can be built and sold for the purpose of emptying the wheel, so you can refill to generate broken shards, so that when 10 are collected they can be forged on another AW you are trying to fill. I do that with a couple of mine I don't want. :)

Last edited:

DeletedUser

When you sell an AW you get back runes and with a bit of luck they might broke into shards or broken shards
No idea where you got that from but it is not true.
M4rt1n is right, you get nothing back. If you click the sell icon on a wonder it even says so in the disclaimer. You won't get back anything invested in it. Only invested shards for an unfinished construction or upgrade will be refunded.

DeletedUser441

Ironically the Builder's Hut doesn't need a road connection. All AWs do as do all buildings that produce anything.

FieryArien

Necromancer
And as you already found out, there is also the problem with builder needing road connection to be able to build such a building ...
Ironically the Builder's Hut doesn't need a road connection.
Oops, it could indeed be interpreted this way. I wasn’t talking about Builder’s Hut, but about builder, that jolly guy with a hammer displayed in the Builder’s Hut. ;-) Anyway, I was referring to that unfortunate fact, that the construction doesn’t even start if the building isn’t connected to the road (in case of pure culture building it all works without a road; even the construction).
Some guest race buildings are exceptions to this rule (e.g. Elementals canals).
True, thanks for pointing that out. (How could I forget, since I deleted the last one about two weeks ago?)
And there are set buildings where each building needs road when standing alone, but when they are grouped, than one road connection to the whole group is enough.
And there are production buildings in Amuni settlement which don’t need roads, but need to be connected to residences/workshops.
And I’m sure I’m still missing something.

Conclusion: The general rule described above in this thread has quite a lot exceptions! :) Therefore the request for the information about road requirement in the wonder building menu definitely has merit.

DeletedUser

If it was offroad, doesn't he have to give it a road connection, then simply cancel the build? The wheel will still be built at that point.
You do not need to add a road, you can sell it. The disclaimer says you will get the runes back, as I quoted before (testing is needed):

If you click the sell icon on a wonder it even says so in the disclaimer. You won't get back anything invested in it. Only invested shards for an unfinished construction or upgrade will be refunded.

Only the invested goods are not (completely) refunded, have to test it out if half the goods would be refunded as normal. If Velic was able to add a road easily there wouldn't be a problem to begin with ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
I have tested it: if you have a road connection, you can cancel the construction. Without road you can only sell the wonder. In either case, you will not get any goods back. Selling the building will clear the rune wheel, while canceling the construction will not.

Last edited: