• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Ancient Wonders Marking of the favorite wonder

Lymhir

Spellcaster
I noticed that the marking of the favorite wonder does not have much utility, in order to make it really useful, I propose to:
- extend the marking to all wonders
- use multicolor marking (4-5 colors)

Example of 4-color marking:
red = preferred, to be developed as soon as possible
orange = moderate development
yellow = slow development
gray = don't want to develop it further for now

Sir Derf

Adept
If we're going from a Red Heart/Nothing system to a multicolored system, how about using a color scheme that doesn't reflect deescalating levels of panic?

Green preferred
Yellow moderate
Red slow
Gray not moving

SkyRider99

Mentor
Good idea @Lymhir. I would hesitate to use grey/gray though. I have a couple of AWs that I leave in limbo, but my wonderful FS have relics KPs available to help push them along regardless. :)

Lymhir

Spellcaster
Good idea @Lymhir. I would hesitate to use grey/gray though. I have a couple of AWs that I leave in limbo, but my wonderful FS have relics KPs available to help push them along regardless.
Gray does not imply that you cannot upload KPs, they are just 4 priorities, from red the highest to gray the lowest, with which to indicate your preferences.
If we're going from a Red Heart/Nothing system to a multicolored system, how about using a color scheme that doesn't reflect deescalating levels of panic?
What does panic have to do with it? It is a simple priority expressed with colors.
Red is perfect for a higher priority, as gray is good for the lowest.

Sir Derf

Adept
My reference to "deescalating levels of panic" was for the use of a red-orange-yellow progression, and assigning Red as the most favorable color. In many color scales that come to mind the red end of the scale is used for the worst, most dangerous, most concerning end of the spectrum, and usually extend through to green or blue for neutral or favorable conditions, depending on the condition being color coded. Consider Risk of Forest Fire, Def-Con, Covid Risk Scales, etc.

Now, this could have been meant as a heat-scale, where red represents hot activity, or fast-moving activity, with cooler temperature represents slower activity.

I politely suggest that while, if implemented we would get used to it, it would not be the most natural system to adopt.

Lymhir

Spellcaster
I politely suggest that while, if implemented we would get used to it, it would not be the most natural system to adopt.
I point out one thing, in the game the current marker for preferred wonder happens to be red and not green, so in an eventual implementation of the idea I suggested, it would be natural to use red to indicate a higher preference and not green as you claim.

Sir Derf

Adept
I understand the desire to have continuity of color from old to new style of representation, but I repeat again, red for a heart is friendly, red on a rainbow continuum is less friendly.

SkyRider99

Mentor
I understand the desire to have continuity of color from old to new style of representation, but I repeat again, red for a heart is friendly, red on a rainbow continuum is less friendly.
Are you raising a red flag? Toreadors of the world unite! :p

Lymhir

Spellcaster
Leaving aside which colours are best, and trusting that in an eventual implementation the game developers will know what to do, I want to bring attention back to the reason for my proposal.

The game places a lot of emphasis on co-operation, as Archimage of a FS that has chosen to use a fully co-operative approach to wonders (each member researches for the AWs of their companions and not their own), I have noticed that the simple preference flag on a single AW is of very little use, while the possibility to indicate for each AW a degree of preference would be of great help.
However, regardless of the AW strategy/system in place, it would be of great use to any player who wants to contribute to another's AW.

Last edited:

m4rt1n

Adept
Red is currently used simply for the red "love heart", so I do understand, but green is go and red is stop in the rest of society. I don't need the system you suggest as my fellowship has extensive AW swap threads running, but I can see how it would help many in the game.

Egwene al Vere

Adventurer
I concur with what m4rt1n is saying. A colour scheme would benefit those more that do not have KP threads going, but the red heart has always been good enough. In fact marking the aw you want to kps for means that specific aw is listed first, while the others remain in the order they appear in research

Lymhir

Spellcaster
There is nothing to prevent all AWs from being listed in order of priority, and so for those who use the repetitive and rather boring swap threads nothing changes, but everyone else, and there are quite a few of them, at least can have a useful piece of information that makes it easy to choose which AW to contribute to.

Lymhir

Spellcaster
Suppose we have a 5-level priority available, and that priority level 3 is the default for all wonders, that is, it is equivalent to the unset red heart. If you set for one wonder the highest priority 5 you have exactly what you define as sufficient for you, I, on the other hand, can tell all my companions which wonders I prefer to develop first by setting priorities at will. I don't see anything complex.