• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Market improvement

Gannet

Seeker
I am fairly new to the game and not long ago i got moved to a different "better" location but i discovered that the ability to trade is limited by proximity. The problem is that i'm at the level where i'm producing and trading resources in the hundreds or maybe one thousand, however my neighbours are rather advanced into the game and their trade offers are in the range of 50k to 100k goods.

So even though i have the wood and i need the marble, i don't have the required quantity to engage in that trade. My proposal is to make it so you would be able to trade just a part of that offer, not be so binary. For example if someone lists 10000 marble for wood, you can just fill in like 1000 or 2583 and leave the rest for someone else.
This would also make the market a bit cleaner because people wouldn't be incentivized to list 5 or 10 times the same offer if they want to sell in smaller quantities.

Sir Derf

Adept
Or, you could message some of your neighbors indicating your willingness to trade at lower levels and they might add lower trades as well, or that they will look for your trades...

Gannet

Seeker
Or, you could message some of your neighbors indicating your willingness to trade at lower levels and they might add lower trades as well, or that they will look for your trades...

And if they don't respond or refuse? Anyway i'm not saying trading is impossible and i have to resort to these actions in order to obtain the resources i need, this is mainly an example of a problem that can be solved. Such a change would make for an objectively better experience for both the sellers and buyers regardless of their level. I mean why make different listings for 1k, 5k, 10k, 25k, 50k when you can just make one listing of 100k and be able to trade with buyers of all levels.

Sir Derf

Adept
You hadn't mentioned you had tried the direct way first...

Or, you can join an active, like-level or friendly Fellowship to get trade partners regardless of where you're located.

Tell me you're an engineer without telling me you're an engineer...

I almost always post T123 trades as a series of power-of-two... 100, 200, 400, etc up to 102400, 204800 or higher, allowing people to take any value they want.

Stucon

Illusionist
rather advanced into the game and their trade offers are in the range of 50k to 100k goods.
A real shame @Gannet. I tend to 'hoover' up small trades and it was something I benefited from early on.
If you are not in a fellowship yet, it's one way to get your trades taken.
I know this isn't about the trading system but our experience as players is ideas from the forum rarely result in change. Sorry for the negativity.

Far Reach

Conjurer
My proposal is to make it so you would be able to trade just a part of that offer, not be so binary. For example if someone lists 10000 marble for wood, you can just fill in like 1000 or 2583 and leave the rest for someone else.

This is a logical suggestion, but I'm not really in a fan. Larger players would occasionally place huge trades and smaller players (provided that their map position was decent) would almost always have trades on tap. It would make the whole trading process almost irrelevant.

The problem is that i'm at the level where i'm producing and trading resources in the hundreds or maybe one thousand, however my neighbours are rather advanced into the game and their trade offers are in the range of 50k to 100k goods. So even though i have the wood and i need the marble, i don't have the required quantity to engage in that trade.

This may not apply to you, but I that find some some smaller players are reluctant to offer up trades themselves. My approach (and I suspect that of many larger players) has often been to periodically hoover up all fair (and within tier) trades for my boosted goods, and then only offer up trades myself as needed. This actually works better for both parties since larger players have typically discovered many more cities, and can take trades from a player who they have discovered, but who hasn't found them yet. The reverse is not true. (This is one way for a smaller player to mitigate a poor map placement.)

AsterObelix

Alchemist
This may not apply to you, but I that find some some smaller players are reluctant to offer up trades themselves. My approach (and I suspect that of many larger players) has often been to periodically hoover up all fair (and within tier) trades for my boosted goods, and then only offer up trades myself as needed. This actually works better for both parties since larger players have typically discovered many more cities, and can take trades from a player who they have discovered, but who hasn't found them yet. The reverse is not true. (This is one way for a smaller player to mitigate a poor map placement.)

I agree that quite a number of smaller players are reluctant to offer up trades themselves. Instead they are building quite often non-boosted factories, which isn't a good strategy at all.
I also agree that smaller players should place their offers. When I was a small player (OK, I'm playing chapter 7 now, so I'm not that big yet, but my situation has changed, because I'm a member of a big FS now, where I get a lot of support) I did that too and very often my trades were taken by players far away from me.
But even in that new FS I have to place the trades.

Gargon667

Mentor
It's irrelevant, again i'm not here looking for workarounds to my problem, i'm just making a suggestion for improving the current trading system.

Well the suggestion has come up before and it hasn´t been implemented, so chances are it won´t happen any time soon, if ever. So work-arounds are the best thing you can hope for.
Long term the change might happen, but by then you´ll be a big town and this is not going to be an issue anymore for you.

For me I see 2 problems with such a change:
1. As @Far Reach pointed out, it would basically make trading non-existstan for small towns, they would have a permanent shelf where they just go and pick up the stuff they need, convenient for them, but not good incentive to teach them how to trade actively themselves or to join a FS, both things I think new towns really should be pushed towards.
2. With the current notification system my notifications would be flooded, if every little trade some small town accepts sends one out. So before I would ever use such a feature the notification system would have to be changed (which I am always in favor of anyway).

Paladestar

Enchanter
It's all relative. The problem is that at late game you make a lot of goods and so you have a lot of goods to trade. Right now I have about 400 million T1, T2 and T3 combined. We can only place 60 trades at any given time. I try to trade in as small stacks as I can, but the problem is that I really can't go below around 1 million units per trade, or it takes forever.

There's also the problem that so many smaller trades clogs up the notifications log. I, like many others, use the notifications log to give NH back to the people who gave me NH. If so many trades essentially purge the notifications log of everything but trade confirmations, my NH partners fall off the bottom of the list.