• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

World Map Managing Encounters on the Map

• Thread starter DeletedUser1224
  • Start date

DeletedUser1224

Hi Folks,

I'd like to suggest an improvement on the map system:
I'd find it more helpful if once we have dealt with an area and have solved all encounters that a big tick appears and stays lit up...otherwise as I explore further - it's taking longer and longer to search out the encounter areas to see which have been completed as it isn't always logical to complete a full zone before scouting a new province.

Zooming in and out of the map doesn't work well with all browsers and the results can be very harsh on the eyes as the fonts and graphics appear jagged.

There is also a health related issue here:
I find it hard to scroll through the map with icons flashing on and off. I also wonder whether it could have a negative effect on people with epilepsy. We also have a lot of players that are 45+ in age throughout the game - the older we get the more care we have to take of our eyes.

If the map was altered as shown in the images below (courtesy of Valerius), I feel that the game map would be easier to use.

index.php

Or

index.php

The animated effects on the city screens are fine and cause no issues as they are very gentle (and soothing) in places.

Regards

W0lf

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hello W0lf,

I'm a bit confused as to why you feel the need for there to be a further indication implemented to determine which encounters/provinces have been completed. Are you talking about an indicator within a province for the individual encounters or an indicator for the province when all encounters within have been completed?

I'm assuming you mean the latter. You can easily distinguish provinces that have been fully completed because they show no relic icons over them unless you hover your cursor over them. Even then, there will be no fraction (ex. 1/8) shown as you'll have completed everything. (EDIT: There is a fraction of 8/8 after all.) [Nevertheless,] I don't see any further need to indicate what provinces have been fully completed.

DeletedUser1224

Hi Valerius,

I guess it's an ability thing - too many flashing icons have a weird effect on me when I'm going over the map.

If there was a tick there instead that was permanent - I would find that a lot easier to look at. Same green tick you get when completing a task. But it must be permanent - not flashing when you float your mouse. Have you considered what it might be like for ageing players with disabilities - including people with epilepsy?

DeletedUser

If there was a tick there instead that was permanent - I would find that a lot easier to look at. Same green tick you get when completing a task. But it must be permanent - not flashing when you float your mouse.
I understand. Something like this then?:
Map_Completeiontick.png

Have you considered what it might be like for ageing players with disabilities - including people with epilepsy?
In all honesty, I'm not sure what to think about this. In the end - a warning message during registration along the lines of "This game contains flashing images" is the only plausible solution that comes to mind as the game is filled with flashing imagery. You could even go as far as to say that because it's a fantasy game - it's bound to have flashing images.

As the flashing visual referred to here (relic icon) is an indicator for the type of province, in addition to the provinces scenery, you could argue that it is unnecessary as the information is already provided through the scenery. The relic icon does make it easier to determine the boosts of other player's cities though than in comparison to the scenery of a province. I would thus recommend something more along the lines of:

Map_indicator2.png
or
Map_image2.png
/spoiler]

DeletedUser1224

The first option is simple and would work great in my view. Just a simple tic - it makes it easier for people to see what they've done as some browsers play up on the map view when you try to increase or decrease your zoom.

The tick option with a static map gets rid of all those problems :)

I think this is the only area of the game that was affecting my eyes - the animated graphics in the game are a huge appeal and are a lot more gentle on the eye. It's only the map that was causing the problems.

DeletedUser

Just added a third option to the second spoiler. A bit of a compromise between a tick and the relic icon perhaps?

DeletedUser1224

Just added a third option to the second spoiler. A bit of a compromise between a tick and the relic icon perhaps?

Where is it? :) It would be good though - give people a sense of accomplishment and keep them aware of what they've been targeting for boosts etc?

DeletedUser1224

Where is it? :) It would be good though - give people a sense of accomplishment and keep them aware of what they've been targeting for boosts etc?
Sorry was being a bit thick there. Just saw it. Yup that works great too :)

DeletedUser

No problem. Feel free to add any image(s) to your first post if you like (by copying and pasting). Glad I could help out with your idea.

Needless to say - I support it: +1 ;)

DeletedUser1224

Thanks Valerius :)

I've added your images and edited the main text. Your questioning brought out the hidden reason of disability.

DeletedUser

I would find it helpful if we could not click on them. What's the point in clicking on a completed province? It would make sense if there was some benefit to it, such as repeating dummy battles, but that's not possible :D

DeletedUser

I would find it helpful if we could not click on them. What's the point in clicking on a completed province? It would make sense if there was some benefit to it, such as repeating dummy battles, but that's not possible :D
If you watch the InnoGames TV December Episode (can be found here: InnoGames TV December Episode), you'll notice that it appears there's a new feature/event coming up that will involve "neighbours playing together with each other in provinces". It also appears to include completed ones.

DeletedUser

If you watch the InnoGames TV December Episode (can be found here: InnoGames TV December Episode), you'll notice that it appears there's a new feature/event coming up that will involve "neighbours playing together with each other in provinces". It also appears to include completed ones.

I did watch it, but didn't gather that from it. Possibly wasn't paying that much attention :p Is it because you are possibly helping someone with encounters you completed but they did not?

DeletedUser

s it because you are possibly helping someone with encounters you completed but they did not?
The new event/feature? By the looks of it one will be competing against neighbours to win prizes (weekly perhaps?) by battling encounters in already completed provinces. Appears to be similar to FoE's tower competitions for the individual provinces where you got medals from that you could then use to buy expansions. No idea what you'll get as a reward in Elvenar though. Just hope it's not only about battles...:rolleyes:

EDIT: Looks like the rewards will be relics, goods and rune shards among other things. In addition, the system seems to be far more complicated than a simple competition among neighbours. Looks it'll include leveling or upgrading (one's rank?) to gain better rewards possibly.

DeletedUser

Zooming in and out of the map doesn't work well with all browsers and the results can be very harsh on the eyes as the fonts and graphics appear jagged.

W0lf

I didn't know you could zoom in and out on the world map at all. I just went to try it and could not see how to. Nothing that I recognised as a zoom button. So how do you? I'm using firefox on windows
Also on (of only just off) this topic, what I would like to see would be some indicator of how far out from your home city scoutable and scouted-but-not-completed provinces are. I can't always see my city now when I'm out on the edge of explored territory, and soon won't be able to at all. I prefer to complete nearer provinces before further ones (all else being equal, which it sometimes isn't) and it is getting to be a chore to know which is which

DeletedUser

I didn't know you could zoom in and out on the world map at all. I just went to try it and could not see how to. Nothing that I recognised as a zoom button. So how do you? I'm using firefox on windows
You can't zoom in or out on the World Map using any game feature, you must use your browser's zoom function. Hold down "Control" and scroll with your mouse or press "Control" plus "+" or "-" to zoom. "Control" plus "0" will reset the zoom. You can also open the menu at the top right of your browser (three horizontal bars) and you'll find a zoom function there too. :)

DeletedUser

The new event/feature? By the looks of it one will be competing against neighbours to win prizes (weekly perhaps?) by battling encounters in already completed provinces. Appears to be similar to FoE's tower competitions for the individual provinces where you got medals from that you could then use to buy expansions. No idea what you'll get as a reward in Elvenar though. Just hope it's not only about battles...:rolleyes:

Ouf well in that case not interesting to me as I'm not a particularly competitive person and it would just be a waste of armies that are already hard enough to regenerate as is :D

DeletedUser314

Zoom Out Feature on World Map within the game software so we can see more provinces would be awesome instead of depending on the browser