• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Make chapter quests to have a minimum number of residences or workshops declinable

• Thread starter DeletedUser6848
  • Start date

DeletedUser6848

In each set of chapter quests, there is a quest to have a certain number of residences at the new level for the chapter. And another quest (or sometimes the same quest) for a certain number of workshops at current chapter level.

These quests are not declinable - at least until you complete the first research of the next chapter. I think they should be made declinable. There are very legitimate reasons for players to have fewer than the number of residences and workshops required, which are completely in keeping with the intended game design.

There are many other ways to get population and supplies. Buildings from events, Ancient Wonders and magic versions of residences and workshops, all give large amounts of population and supplies. They usually do so much more efficiently per square than regular residences and workshops. That means they are a good choice for building a powerful but compact city - something the game design encourages.

As a prompt to players to upgrade their residences and workshops these quests are good. But if you don’t need that number of residences and workshops in your city, because you have favoured those alternative more efficient buildings, you have to stop the quest line at that point. Or spend a great deal of time and city space building extra buildings you don’t really need.

In my own city, I am usually several buildings short of the quest requirements - without being in any way short of population or supplies. I have replaced residences and workshops with event buildings and ancient wonders, and magic residences I won in the Spire. So far (I am in Constructs) I have simply stopped at this quest in each chapter, and waited until I have entered the new chapter to move on through the quest line. In simple city progression terms that’s fine. But it is a shame to lose the thread of the story, and when I do get to play through it, it is all out of sync with what is actually happening in my city.

Making these quests declinable seems a reasonable compromise. They would keep their value as prompts for what most players should be doing with their city. I don’t believe it would give any advantage to players who skip them. We miss out on the rewards for completing the quest and we still need the pop and supplies! But it would mean alternative ways of building your city were supported by the questline.

Pauly7

Magus
You pick on the certain quests which don't fit your playing style, but the truth is that lots of them don't work for different people for different reasons.

For me it's unlikely that I'll get more than 5 or 6 quests into a new chapter's storyline, before stopping and waiting for the end of the chapter.

At least they can now be declined at the end of the chapter. That didn't used to be the case.

Julian

Sorcerer
There's a case to be made for all quests to be immediately declinable. Yes, have them as prompts and to give modest rewards. But if you know what you're doing, why can't we choose what we do? I use a lot of PP, so have often stopped when they ask for loads of guest buildings. I still play the way I want to. I just have to wade through the rest of the quests when I start the next chapter.

DeletedUser4149

I use a lot of PP,
i dont blame you but i'm gonna say the same thing on the thread about the new event and those quests-instants made things too easy and took too much of the challenge out of a lot of things in this game. events were more fun when we actually had to complete quests by planning and not by having tons of instants saved

DeletedUser6848

There aren’t many other quests that consistently can’t be done by people broadly playing the game as intended.

There are obviously the ones to have X number of guest race buildings, when you can play the chapters with fewer, either by being more patient (which is how I did Amuni) or using PP spells. Arguably though the PP workaround falls outside “playing the game as intended” - although is a totally legitimate approach.

there’s all the general “upgrade this building to level X” ones. But upgrading one building isn’t too big an ask, vs building and upgrading multiple buildings.

there are others I can totally see someone preferring not to do. There is a difference though between quests you might prefer not to do - and choosing to stall the questline rather than progress - and quests which force a major distortion of your city to do. we all have the option to just not really follow the questline if, in general, doing the quests doesn’t suit. I actually like following the questline, and am happy to go a certain amount out of my usual play rhythm for it - collecting goods, trading, scouting, doing provinces, sacrificing goods and so on. So this is a suggestion from someone who’d basically like to do the quests, but is consistently blocked from them.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
In each set of chapter quests, there is a quest to have a certain number of residences at the new level for the chapter. And another quest (or sometimes the same quest) for a certain number of workshops at current chapter level.

These quests are not declinable - at least until you complete the first research of the next chapter. I think they should be made declinable. There are very legitimate reasons for players to have fewer than the number of residences and workshops required, which are completely in keeping with the intended game design.

There are many other ways to get population and supplies. Buildings from events, Ancient Wonders and magic versions of residences and workshops, all give large amounts of population and supplies. They usually do so much more efficiently per square than regular residences and workshops. That means they are a good choice for building a powerful but compact city - something the game design encourages.

As a prompt to players to upgrade their residences and workshops these quests are good. But if you don’t need that number of residences and workshops in your city, because you have favoured those alternative more efficient buildings, you have to stop the quest line at that point. Or spend a great deal of time and city space building extra buildings you don’t really need.

In my own city, I am usually several buildings short of the quest requirements - without being in any way short of population or supplies. I have replaced residences and workshops with event buildings and ancient wonders, and magic residences I won in the Spire. So far (I am in Constructs) I have simply stopped at this quest in each chapter, and waited until I have entered the new chapter to move on through the quest line. In simple city progression terms that’s fine. But it is a shame to lose the thread of the story, and when I do get to play through it, it is all out of sync with what is actually happening in my city.

Making these quests declinable seems a reasonable compromise. They would keep their value as prompts for what most players should be doing with their city. I don’t believe it would give any advantage to players who skip them. We miss out on the rewards for completing the quest and we still need the pop and supplies! But it would mean alternative ways of building your city were supported by the questline.

The resonable decline option is that you decline them in the next chapter.
These quest are designed towards an "optimum" setup to what the designers think its a balanced city.

As for magic residences, these should count towards the progression of your quest,
Unfortunatly some quest do and some do not, take up contact with support and/or make a bug report in the bug section of the forum so these quest can be fixed. as magic buildings should not harm your progression (as it hurts elvenars revenue if those buildings are penalised)

As for choosing to play with "event" buildings instead of homes, this is your choice, just as it is your choice to ignore the quest for the amount of race buildings. you should not be able to ignore those "recommendations" on a whim.
In fact I think you should really consider pop/culture buildings these days as some game elements simply require you to aquire more and more coins which I sometimes struggle with due to the limited options to aquire them, I really treasure my houses these days since the introduction of the spire and finally dound use for those EE spells to boost my coin production.

DeletedUser6848

Magic residences do count. But you need fewer of them for same pop - so they depress the total no of residences you need.

On your tangential point about coin production when using event buildings for pop. Evolving buildings give oodles of coins, so a city targeting event buildings rarely runs short - I’m constantly buying KP with my excess.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Magic residences do count. But you need fewer of them for same pop - so they depress the total no of residences you need.

On your tangential point about coin production when using event buildings for pop. Evolving buildings give oodles of coins, so a city targeting event buildings rarely runs short - I’m constantly buying KP with my excess.

They don't, at least, not with WS.

DeletedUser6848

They don't, at least, not with WS.
Magic residences certainly did count for the chapter quest in Amuni.
can’t say about WS as I don’t have any magic WS.

which chapter did you have magic WS not count for?

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Magic residences certainly did count for the chapter quest in Amuni.
can’t say about WS as I don’t have any magic WS.

which chapter did you have magic WS not count for?

Woodelves, I had to build two more regular ones (thankfully, now one is magic too, gotta love the Spire.) I recall woodelves as the treant was mad due the water quality (after orcs, I don't blame him), and I recall of my magic WS already "cleaning the water", but did not count.

Gargon667

Mentor
I find the current solution quite tolerable, I usually don´t bother with the quest line until I am in the next chapter, I keep the portal a bit longer and then do the quests I like for a couple days, while building the next portal. By the time I am ready to kick off the new chapter I am usually done with the interesting parts of the quest line, sell the portal and get started on the new chapter. Doesn´t cost any more time, but combines convenience of declinable quests with getting rewards.