• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Magic Academy - REMOVE RNG

Jake65

Sage
Using common phrases from other languages together with the English translation is NOT a reason for deletion in my opinion,
I agree with you.
The context should be the guide. Lots of Latin in English courtrooms for example.
C'est la vie.

Edit to add: this would introduce a tricky grey area for the mods. Different English speaking countries would use different foreign languages in their day to day conversations.

Last edited:

SkyRider99

Mentor
I read the rule as a poster asking a question in another language for the entire post.
That was my understanding also @m4rt1n. There may be other factors as well, such as using excerpts from other languages for verbal (?) abuse or coarse language. Intelligent inspection of any message in question should be able to tell the difference though. :rolleyes:

I shall have to mind my P's and Q's :

mind your ˌP’s and ˈQ’s

(informal) be careful how you behave; remember to be polite.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Carpe diem!
Up the Revolution!
:)

revolution (n.)

late 14c., revolucioun, originally of celestial bodies, "one (apparent) rotation about the earth," also the time required for this, also "act or fact of moving in a circular course," from Old French revolucion "course, revolution" of celestial bodies (13c.) or directly from Late Latin revolutionem (nominative revolutio) "a revolving," noun of action from past-participle stem of Latin revolvere "turn, roll back" (see revolve).

From early 15c. as "a cyclical reoccurrence, a round or recurrent changes or events;" also "the revolving of a wheel." By 1660s as "action on the part of an object or person of turning round or moving round a point."

The sense of "an instance of great change in affairs" is recorded from mid-15c. The political meaning "overthrow of an established political or social system" is recorded by c. 1600, derived from French, and was especially applied in England to the expulsion of the Stuart dynasty under James II in 1688 and transfer of sovereignty to William and Mary under a purer constitutional government.

:p

SkyRider99

Mentor
And the answer is, it didn't! Mea culpa. :rolleyes:

(But the lyrics in the original language are still more beautiful and poetic.) :cool:
I still don't quite follow how I got censored for posting a single line from a famous song, where I provided the English translation. From the forum rules:

§2 Language

• This Elvenar version is the International version and its language is English. The use of other languages in the game, forum and support is forbidden.
  • In fellowship forums, private communications, and player profiles a short phrase in another language is permitted, provided that this is translated to English either directly following or preceding it.
  • Support tickets must also be created in understandable English, in order to get help.
  • It is allowed to use other languages to the extent of proper names and short, universally known maxims.

Maybe a short single line from a song does not qualify as '...a short phrase...' and is thus verboten -
verboten
adjective

Synonyms of verboten
: not permitted or allowed
: forbidden or prohibited by or as if by authority

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/verboten

m4rt1n

Adept
I still don't quite follow how I got censored for posting a single line from a famous song, where I provided the English translation. From the forum rules:

§2 Language

• This Elvenar version is the International version and its language is English. The use of other languages in the game, forum and support is forbidden.
  • In fellowship forums, private communications, and player profiles a short phrase in another language is permitted, provided that this is translated to English either directly following or preceding it.
  • Support tickets must also be created in understandable English, in order to get help.
  • It is allowed to use other languages to the extent of proper names and short, universally known maxims.

Maybe a short single line from a song does not qualify as '...a short phrase...' and is thus verboten -
verboten
adjective

Synonyms of verboten
: not permitted or allowed
: forbidden or prohibited by or as if by authority

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/verboten

Been there, got the T-Shirt, Deja Vu ...---...

Someone dislikes any use of a non-English word on these forums, even with a full translation when the rule as explained to me before is to prevent full posts and questions being asked in another language.