• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Magic Academy - REMOVE RNG

Jake65

Sage
@Sir Derf , looking at the % chances for the genie rewards, would it be correct to say you have a 50% chance of getting a 25% option?
So it would then be a heads/tails type of question.
What are the odds of getting the same side of the coin 8 times in a row?

Am I understanding /interpreting this correctly?

Sir Derf

Adept
Seeds are 25%, Mana are 25%. Is the fact that you got 5 Seeds and 3 Mana any more remarkable than if you had gotten 5 Mana and 3 Seeds? Or any other combination of Seeds and Mana? That has odds of (0.25 + 0.25)^8 = 0.39%
I think you're asking about what I already typed up here.

You have a 50% chance of (Seeds or Mana), (25% + 25%), vs. a 50% chance of getting anything else.

Stucon

Illusionist
That has odds of (0.25 + 0.25)^8 = 0.39%
At the risk of being pedantic ...
(0.5) to the power 3 multiplied by (0.25) to the power 5.
The last 5 can't be seeds or mana.
0.0122%
I was being my normal self. I could actually do the numbers!

Sir Derf

Adept
I'm unclear what situation you are describing? The fuller citation was
Seeds are 25%, Mana are 25%. Is the fact that you got 5 Seeds and 3 Mana any more remarkable than if you had gotten 5 Mana and 3 Seeds? Or any other combination of Seeds and Mana? That has odds of (0.25 + 0.25)^8 = 0.39%
The formula was the odds of "Or any other [all] combination of [8] Seeds and Mana." As in
  • 8S0M, 7S1M, S2M, 5S3M, 4S4M, 3S5M, 2S6M, 1S7M, 0S8M
  • 8 occurrences of either Seeds or Mana
  • (S or M) * (S or M) * (S or M) * (S or M) * (S or M) * (S or M) * (S or M) * (S or M)
  • (S or M) ^ 8
  • (0.25 + 0.25) * (0.25 + 0.25) * (0.25 + 0.25) * (0.25 + 0.25) * (0.25 + 0.25) * (0.25 + 0.25) * (0.25 + 0.25) * (0.25 + 0.25)
  • (0.25 + 0.25) ^ 8
  • (0.5) * (0.5) * (0.5) * (0.5) * (0.5) * (0.5) * (0.5) * (0.5)
  • (0.5) ^ 8
  • 0.39%

SkyRider99

Mentor
https://www.britannica.com/summary/English-language

English language: Language belonging to the Germanic languages branch of the Indo-European language family, widely spoken on six continents.

Written in the Latin alphabet, it is most closely related to Frisian, German, and Dutch. Its history began with the migration of the Jutes, Angles, and Saxons from Germany and Denmark to Britain in the 5th and 6th centuries.

The Norman Conquest of 1066 brought many French words into English.

Greek and Latin words began to enter it in the 15th century, and Modern English is usually dated from 1500.

English easily borrows words from other languages and has coined many new words to reflect advances in technology.

[END_QUOTE]

:)

The effects caused by RNG in the Magic Academy may further modify and confuse the use of English words by introducing new ways to blaspheme and curse. :p

SkyRider99

Mentor
But I live in Wales!!!!!
Nice! You indeed have an honoured and respected history. I have a particular fondness for Welsh, Irish, Scottish heritage and languages. Although they are effectively impossible for me to use or understand. And that is as it should be I think. :cool:

Sir Derf

Adept
Yes... I agree. That wasn't the outcome.

The outcome was 5 Seeds and 3 Mana. Which I computed at the top of the first post. Do you agree that I did do that?

I then pondered in that first post, 5 Seeds and 3 Mana was remarkable... why? Because Seeds were 25% and Mana was 25%? So, why be fascinated at 5 and 3? That's an uninteresting subset of any 8 total Seeds/Mana split. For which I then computed in that first post the odds of any/all 8 total Seeds/Man split. For which you then misunderstood. For which I then explained. And for which you now misunderstand my explanation.

Sir Derf

Adept
RNG?
8 genies.
Just collected 5 lots of seeds and 3 mana
Now the odds on that happening are ...
Ant one out there good with numbers???

What are the odds of that happening?

Well, the odds that, out of 8 attempts, you would get 5 Seeds (25%) and 3 Mana (25%) are 0.25^5 * 0.25^3 * 8!/(3!*5!) = 0.000015 * 56 = 0.085%. Quite small.

The outcome was 5 Seeds and 3 Mana. Which I computed at the top of the first post. Do you agree that I did do that?

So, did I do what I said I did?

Stucon

Illusionist
I disagree with your initial premise.
The first 3 options can be EITHER seed or mana. So 0.5 to the power 3.
I have no idea where the factorial fits.
8! = 8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1
Any way. We are not going to agree, so let's leave it be.

Sir Derf

Adept
Except that this is math. If we are both describing the same thing, then we should both end up with the same formula, and the same final value.

RNG?
8 genies.
Just collected 5 lots of seeds and 3 mana
Now the odds on that happening are ...
Ant one out there good with numbers???

5 lots of seeds = (0.25)^5
3 mana = (0.25)^3
8 genies, order doesn't matter, so the number of combinations of 8 pick 5 (which is the same as combinations of 8 pick 3) = 8!/(3!*5!)

Put it all together = (0.25)^5 * (0.25)^3 * 8!/(3!*5!)

That is what you wrote. That is how I interpret what you wrote. And that is the formula that I wrote.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Sorry @SkyRider99, Stolen your thread.
An attempt to get back on track.
If we don't have the RNG the INNO folk will only offer naff / medium naff goodies.
Cheers @Stucon. No theft, disappropriation, nor stealing detected. :)

It is gratifying and most entertaining to see the range of discussions arising from this posting.

(I would say 'have a nice day' in Welsh, but we all know where that would lead!) :cool:

m4rt1n

Adept
Really enjoying the discussion in this thread for the most part but unfortunately for me, some are taking the English language only to the extreme to remove, I have to say this "level of disproportionate" moderation has upset me, common sense has to prevail if you want to keep a community together.

Using common phrases from other languages together with the English translation is NOT a reason for deletion in my opinion, that causes community upset for no reason, I read the rule as a poster asking a question in another language for the entire post.

This is upsetting moderation and I will have to contact Inno directly if some continue with this totally absurd policy.

Sorry, this had to be said by someone, take care Bonne Nuit.

To add 99.9% of the moderation and administration team running the forum here are superb, and have huge respect from me. :)

Apologies for being off topic.

Last edited: