• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Jumpers = Cheaters in the Spire

Troia

Novice
Enough is enough. The maximum points any fellowship should be allowed to get in the Spire = 1575 points
Using "jumpers" is akin to cheating. INNO needs to fix this issue.
A fairer system would be: if you leave a fellowship part way through the Spire not only can you not join another Fellowship for 24 hours but the leaving fellow's points are wiped so the fellowship left doesn't get the points and the member who left cannot join the spire event until the current Spire event is complete. This will stop the so-called "jumper" accounts.

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
We are currently testing a new feature, which will prevent players from being able to do this. You can locate details in our Beta section here on the Forum if you are interested.

Gargon667

Mentor
Enough is enough. The maximum points any fellowship should be allowed to get in the Spire = 1575 points
Using "jumpers" is akin to cheating. INNO needs to fix this issue.
A fairer system would be: if you leave a fellowship part way through the Spire not only can you not join another Fellowship for 24 hours but the leaving fellow's points are wiped so the fellowship left doesn't get the points and the member who left cannot join the spire event until the current Spire event is complete. This will stop the so-called "jumper" accounts.

Why does it matter? Nobody gets any better rewards if the have 1000000 points in the spire. Everything above 1330 is entirely pointless in terms of rewards, so let the people have fun with it :)
If you were arguing that people using jumpers to get from silver to gold then I might agree, but it probably takes more work to set up alternate towns and constantly switch towns than it takes to just play the spire lol.

Anyway a much easier solution would be to simply connect the points to the player. If a player leaves a FS he takes his points with him to wherever he goes...

Gargon667

Mentor
I just don´t understand why anything needs fixing :D Neither am I exactly sure what. I think it must be fixing a different problem and as a byproduct fix this one...

Giraffi

Enchanter
Why does it bother anyone if a fs gets more than 1575 points? Just means there are poor souls who worked for the prize that is not going to share in the booty. Kind of silly if you ask me. If you ever land in a fs where it is required from you to do this kind of thing, hey ho, high time to look elsewhere.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
I just don´t understand why anything needs fixing :D Neither am I exactly sure what. I think it must be fixing a different problem and as a byproduct fix this one...
It's already been said that it's going to be corrected so whether you understand why it needs fixing or not is largely irrelevant.

Far Reach

Conjurer
There are three Fellowship (as opposed to individual) rankings given in game: Ranking Points, Fellowship Adventure and Spire. For those so inclined, having the maximum Spire score of 1575 (and getting it before any other FW in the case of a tie) is a natural area of friendly competition between Fellowships. Obviously this relies on the in game Spire rankings being meaningful though.

Pauly7

Magus
As @Gargon667 says, I'm not sure who you think it's hurting if some teams go beyond 1575. I've never, and won't ever, feel the need myself, but I don't even notice what other teams score, much less care. All I'm bothered about is whether we get our 1,330 points. I wouldn't mind if we were in 1000th position. Furthermore, it seems like a really odd thing for Inno to be wasting time on when there are so many real problems with the game

This will stop the so-called "jumper" accounts.
You say this as if this is an unofficially recognised piece or terminology, but that's the first time I've seen it.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
As @Gargon667 says, I'm not sure who you think it's hurting if some teams go beyond 1575. I've never, and won't ever, feel the need myself, but I don't even notice what other teams score, much less care. All I'm bothered about is whether we get our 1,330 points. I wouldn't mind if we were in 1000th position. Furthermore, it seems like a really odd thing for Inno to be wasting time on when there are so many real problems with the game
On another thread I believe there was a discussion about what could be done to make the forum more attractive. One thing would be to allow people to post their feelings about something without having someone else dismiss them out of hand in a patronising manner, something which seems to happen on a regular basis. OK so the OP's issue isn't a problem for you and you don't care - so what? - it clearly is for the OP and no doubt others so I'm not sure what you achieve by denigrating it. If I posted on every thread here where someone is complaining about something to say it doesn't bother me I'd be spending half my life doing it.

Last edited:

Gargon667

Mentor
It's already been said that it's going to be corrected so whether you understand why it needs fixing or not is largely irrelevant.

Irrelevant maybe, but I am a curious Orc and like to understand things that puzzle me, it is of purely academic interest, and as we´ve already established, it doesn´t affect gameplay in the least so the outcome of the discussion won´t matter much in any way.

Gargon667

Mentor
There are three Fellowship (as opposed to individual) rankings given in game: Ranking Points, Fellowship Adventure and Spire. For those so inclined, having the maximum Spire score of 1575 (and getting it before any other FW in the case of a tie) is a natural area of friendly competition between Fellowships. Obviously this relies on the in game Spire rankings being meaningful though.

I am not quite sure I understand. What do you mean by meaningful?

I personally find the spire ranking largely uninteresting exactly because of the fact that it is capped. Making it a race for the fastest time to the top is well wasting timeboosts for no return. But if the server wanted to have a big race once, I´d be happy to participate :D Obviously to win would require a finish time of less than 24h. Until the last from a weird time zone logs in after the start...

We have scored above 1575 on a few occasions, simply for the fun of doing it when the opportunity presented itself (a player leaving finishing the spire before leaving the FS on Sunday afternoon and then a full 25 finished spires with the new player). But since there is no reward for doing this there is no point in doing this in an organized fashion. If there was, we probably would :D

Fun fact, best spire result I have seen was way above 2k points by some German server team :D

Gargon667

Mentor
On another thread I believe there was a discussion about what could be done to make the forum more attractive. One thing would be to allow people to post their feelings about something without having someone else dismiss them out of hand in a patronising manner, something which seems to happen on a regular basis. OK so the OP's issue isn't a problem for you and you don't care - so what? - it clearly is for the OP and no doubt others so I'm not sure what you achieve by denigrating it.

Indeed the discussion is ongoing and this case was exactly discussed as well :)

I am not patronizing you, I am not dismissing your feelings or whatever else you want to call it. I just have an opinion different from yourself and exercise the same right to voice my opinion as I extend to you expressing yours.
If you want to express your feelings without having anyone comment on your opinion, you might want to write a blog or post on facebook and make sure to not allow replies. Or send a message to support. A public forum is a place for people to post their opinions, not a place for one person to post the only possible opinion.

If I posted on every thread here where someone is complaining about something to say it doesn't bother me I'd be spending half my life doing it.

That would be difficult as there aren´t all that many ongoing discussions :D I would even turn it around and say: if I didn´t comment on topics that don´t concern me, I wouldn´t be doing much posting at all and could just as well skip those last 3 posts a year as well and retire from the forum.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
Indeed the discussion is ongoing and this case was exactly discussed as well :)

I am not patronizing you, I am not dismissing your feelings or whatever else you want to call it. I just have an opinion different from yourself and exercise the same right to voice my opinion as I extend to you expressing yours.
If you want to express your feelings without having anyone comment on your opinion, you might want to write a blog or post on facebook and make sure to not allow replies. Or send a message to support. A public forum is a place for people to post their opinions, not a place for one person to post the only possible opinion.

I haven't expressed an opinion myself on the OP's post as yet nor have I suggested you were patronising me. Nor for that matter have I suggested people shouldn't have differing opinions so your response is little more than a straw man argument. Anyway, feel free to have the last word, I've made my point, even if you misrepresented it. Will leave you to it.

Far Reach

Conjurer
I am not quite sure I understand. What do you mean by meaningful?

I was simply explaining what I understood the original poster to be saying (which seems to me to be an entirely reasonable perspective). I used the word "meaningful" in the sense of not being susceptible to cheap tricks (specifically rotating players in to boost the score). If one could play these tricks in the Fellowship Adventures or Tournaments then the top Fellowship scores in those would (in many eyes) be devalued.

I personally find the spire ranking largely uninteresting ....

I suspect that the large majority of Spire gold medal fellowships concentrate on the rewards, rather than competition with other FWs. Our individual priorities are not perhaps not particularly relevant to this thread though.

Pauly7

Magus
On another thread I believe there was a discussion about what could be done to make the forum more attractive. One thing would be to allow people to post their feelings about something without having someone else dismiss them out of hand in a patronising manner, something which seems to happen on a regular basis. OK so the OP's issue isn't a problem for you and you don't care - so what? - it clearly is for the OP and no doubt others so I'm not sure what you achieve by denigrating it. If I posted on every thread here where someone is complaining about something to say it doesn't bother me I'd be spending half my life doing it.
No. I'm not going to accept that. I don't believe I was either denigrating nor patronising. A point / opinion was made and I merely said that I don't understand why it is an issue. If that came across as dismissive, @Troia ,then I apologise. I respect that I can be over-forthright.

However, the only person who has been patronising and denigrating is you @EdwardTrunk .

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
well I kinda agree here. The ranking between fellowship in spire is irrelevant and its not an issue.
And the coming change isn't a fix for this issue at all, the incoming change is about fellowship progression and to prevent fellowships to get contributions to their score for more then 25 players within a week, new players will be locked out for a whole spire and tournament when they join when its already active.

So its really only a side-effect this wont be possible anymore in the future, but its not being changed because it was an issue.

Stucon

Illusionist
Hey folk. Can we all pull back from the name calling.
People have a right to raise an issue without others pointing fingers and saying 'you do't know what you're talking about'.
It is the way you say things that matters; even when you disagree, try to be pleasant.
Maybe that would make the forums more user friendly ... oops, wrong thread.

Gargon667

Mentor
I was simply explaining what I understood the original poster to be saying (which seems to me to be an entirely reasonable perspective). I used the word "meaningful" in the sense of not being susceptible to cheap tricks (specifically rotating players in to boost the score).

Right, I absolutely agree that any kind of cheating ruins a fun competition. I suppose one could argue if the "cheat" is considered part of the game it´s not a cheat, but a tactic to be maximized for success. I guess it is up to the game designers which way they want it to be. If it´s considered a cheat they would have to remove the possibility to cheat, if it´s a feature, then they can just leave it at that :).

If one could play these tricks in the Fellowship Adventures or Tournaments then the top Fellowship scores in those would (in many eyes) be devalued.

Let´s maybe broaden the discussion a bit...

Perfect examples for removing the possibility to cheat. Way back in the beginning of FAs swapping members was possible, so the FS with the biggest "bench" would win. Then they put a stop to that by not allowing new FS members that join after the start of the FA to participate in that FA.

Tournaments have a different approach where you´re allowed to join and participate, but your contributions disappear when you leave. Works for the purpose, but causes other problems occasionally. A member that leaves (for whatever reason) just before the end of a tourney can cause the loss of rewards for the whole team.

Anyway so solutions have been implemented in the competitions. But I just don´t see the spire as a competition, if Inno had wanted it to be one it would have been set-up differently to make it open end and allow people to actually compete without a finish line that everybody can reach and get the same rewards. It could of course be a race against the clock, but that brings other difficulties (mostly a waste of time boosts). Anyway as I said before I don´t have a problem with "fixing" a non-issue other than that I see it as a waste of valuable developers time.