• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Question Is Elvenar a trading game on mobile?

Maximus20

Adventurer
I've been playing the mobile version of the game and recently come to realise there is a massive difference between the mobile and computer versions when it comes to battles. Online guides and strategies for battle all refer to the advanced battle mechanics available only on the computer version. Mobile version of battle mechanics feels more like russian roulette than strategy. Is it safe to assume the battles are broken on the mobile version and its actually only a catering game?

Maximus20

Adventurer
Meant to say so should i focus on catering only and ignore things like squad size research, and ignore ancient wonders that are battle orientated?

BlueBlou

Illusionist
You can still do battles, the AI way on mobile. Yes, there are a lot of things you can’t see like the terrain and detail info about the abilities of the fighters, but if you know the basics of what is best to use against what, you will be able to get to a decent amount of provinces for 5 or 6 rounds without having to go manual fighting on a computer. You will be able to do enough to be in any fellowship that can get 10 chests during a tourney.

My preferred way of play is on mobile. I see no reason why you can’t battle. Not many AWs that boosts production, but those you will likely want to build anyway as your research tree will be asking for more and more goods as you progress through the chapters.

The optional squad size research plays no role in your starting number of goods or troops when you do the spire or tourneys. It might play a role during events when quantities of troops are determined on the chapter you are in and a bigger squad size will just make life easier. Also makes life easier when you open up provinces.

Gargon667

Mentor
I've been playing the mobile version of the game and recently come to realise there is a massive difference between the mobile and computer versions when it comes to battles. Online guides and strategies for battle all refer to the advanced battle mechanics available only on the computer version. Mobile version of battle mechanics feels more like russian roulette than strategy. Is it safe to assume the battles are broken on the mobile version and its actually only a catering game?

You are right that the manual option doesn´t exist in the App version, but no matter what the auto-fight option is still 10 times better than the catering option :)

And to be honest the manual option takes up so much time it is barely a niche product. For the first 250-350 tourney encounters every week I use auto-fight on the App, after that occasionally I switch to the browser and do the occasional manual fight, while still auto-fighting half the time there as well... unless I am on some quest for glory I don´t do more than 10 manual fights a week (that is if I do any at all).

Also autofight is still not without strategy, a few strategies still work. The problem is to learn those strategies you nearly need to have a browser with manual fighting, once you figure it out it´s simple enough to use auto.

Maximus20

Adventurer
Thanks for your comments. I like the fact that the auto battle is quick, but there seems lack of information on strategies for auto battle. Obviously different units have different strengths and weaknesses but not sure how best to order troops.

For example if you are battling 5 enemies do you line up 5 troops so troop in slot 1 has strength against first enemy, troop in slot 2 strength against second enemy etc?

Then how does this play out for some provinces where you have 8 enemies but only can bring 5 troops to the battle?

Would appreciate some tips if you are willing :)

Gargon667

Mentor
For example if you are battling 5 enemies do you line up 5 troops so troop in slot 1 has strength against first enemy, troop in slot 2 strength against second enemy etc?

No you better don´t do that. Honestly the best thing you can possibly do at your stage is to ALWAYS use 5 of the same unit. Whichever one is good against most of the enemies.
The units don´t fight 1 on 1 they fight 5 on 5. The AI is not especially intelligent, so it does not use each units advantages at all. It just picks one enemy and then send all your troops against that one (if possible, if not possible it will pick a secondary target etc). The enemy does the same.

So The best thing you can do is pick 5 of the same that way you have an advantage against most enemies and the enemy has few advantages against you. You will lose a few troops but you will win the fight.

Another reason to use 5 of the same is they are equaly fast and therefore are able to fight together. if you mix fast and slow troops, your 2 or 3 fast troops will run forward and fight 5 enemies, get killed quickly and then the slow ones show up and again fight 2 or 3 against 5. Never a good idea. if you use 5 of the same you can force the enemy to make exactly that mistake (because they often mix troops)
As an example the enemy has 2 LM (light melee), 1 HR (heavy range), 1 LR (light range), 1 HM (heavy melee)

You would use 5 HM (treants or Paladins depending on your race) In the beginning of the fight his LR unit will kill a bunch of your HM, but as soon as your HM catch him and beat him up together you´re good, the rest of the fight will be easy going for you. You will quickly kill off the LM and HR and the slow walking enemy HM may not even enter the battle until it´s half over.

Then how does this play out for some provinces where you have 8 enemies but only can bring 5 troops to the battle?

No difference at all. You just have to fight 5 against 8. Sounds worse than it is though, because if they are 8 squads, they are usually 8 smaller squads, so total enemy numbers are the same, just split up into more groups.

DopeyDoc

Dreamer
No you better don´t do that. Honestly the best thing you can possibly do at your stage is to ALWAYS use 5 of the same unit. Whichever one is good against most of the enemies.
The units don´t fight 1 on 1 they fight 5 on 5. The AI is not especially intelligent, so it does not use each units advantages at all. It just picks one enemy and then send all your troops against that one (if possible, if not possible it will pick a secondary target etc). The enemy does the same.
Thanks for explaining this! :)

Maximus20

Adventurer
Oh wow, my strategy has been wrong this entire time! I will try this out on the next tournament round and see how it goes. Thanks for responding!

Pauly7

Magus
Yeah when auto-fighting it is better to pick 5 of the same troop as @Gargon667 says, and that generally means all the time when fighting on the mobile app. The AI uses certain rudimentary rules so if you match the troops to the enemies specifically they won't attack the right ones or do the right things.

It is worth noting, however, that manually fighting is always better, once you have learned how to do it. If you fight manually then you will set up the fight as you first assumed, because you're able to target each of the enemies with the best one of your own and attack the correct enemies accordingly.

The problem is, it takes so much time to do. I fight manually a bit more than Gargon says he does, but I only choose it in certain circumstances. Rule of thumb - if I'm beyond about province 15 or 20 and I don't have at least three enemies that are weak against my one single unit, plus one of the same type, then I will go in for a manual fight to save my troop losses. It all comes down to how deep you are going into tournaments and how much time you're willing to assign to it.

Another influencing factor is how many temporary combat buildings you're using. If I've put down 5 x ELR buildings and a couple of Dwarven Armourers (for the sake of argument), then there's a much greater chance I'll leave it on auto-fight and use 5 x light ranged troops anyway, because they'll still end up being the strongest much of the time. If you ever think that 5 of the same troop type is the strongest line up then you won't gain all that much from fighting manually.

Melianora

Alchemist
When you are beginning to use auto fight on the desktop version, because when you hover your mouse over your units, the enemy units will get a layover, showing which of the enemy units will be overwhelmed. So that's a good start to memorize which of your units beat which enemy units!