• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

I'm stuck!

SueH456*

Adventurer
I am struggling through elementals. I never have enough room. How can I make room for another, air and Fire Manifestations without losing too many points, or status?

Far Reach

Conjurer
Starting a new chapter is a great opportunity to plan and reorganise a city to make it as efficient as possible. Common techniques include making sure your buildings are upgraded and that you don't have more roads, culture buildings or residences than are needed (none of these materially help your score). Arranging your buildings in rows or columns can also minimise wasted space. Elven Architect is a great tool for helping with planning. Looking at your city, I suspect that you could free up a reasonable amount of space this way.

You can also create more space by earning expansions from the world map, or possibly using diamonds to purchase premium expansions.

Ultimately many players will temporarily sacrifice some points when going through a chapter. Once completed your score can rapidly increase though - to significantly more than it ever was previously.

SkyRider99

Mentor
I'll guess that you will get a few replies @SueH456*. The constraint of space in your city is one which we all share. It's part of the game as you are probably already aware. This only gets harder when a new guest race appears. So I always leave about 20% of my city space that is reserved for guest races.

That being said, there are two ways I know of to get more city space. One is to sell some buildings. The other is to gain more spaces (expansions):

If you need to sell some buildings then you'll need to compare the relative values of those candidates that you can do without. These could be Ancient Wonders, or culture, or even manufactories and workshops if you have too many. Selling manufactories and workshops are an option if you can quickly upgrade those remaining so you can maintain your production and score. And to retain your culture bonus you can sell older, lower value buildings and replace them with new high value ones. A few big culture buildings are usually better than a lot of small ones.

If you're after additional expansions, then the Builder shows the three options available. Scouting extra provinces will make some expansions become available. Completing the relevant research tasks gives expansions. And premium expansions are available by using diamonds. Place the new expansions wisely to get the best deployment for your buildings and your projected upgrades.

You may also look at optimising your city layout. For example, by minimising dead space between buildings, and by using as few paths/streets as necessary.

There's no silver bullet :cool:

DeletedUser

I am struggling through elementals. I never have enough room. How can I make room for another, air and Fire Manifestations without losing too many points, or status?
There's one question you might ask yourself; Do i need to fulfil the story quest line ?

I stopped in Elementals exactly because of these ridiculous quest to have so and so many of each settlement building. And you can decline them when you enter the next chapter. Just don't delete the portal before clicking through the quests at the end of the chapter. There's diamonds for you :)

Gargon667

Mentor
The constraint of space in your city is one which we all share. It's part of the game as you are probably already aware

Let´s say many people do have space problems, certainly not all ;)

Magic bullet? Sure there is one: Build an efficient city, rather than a beautiful one (or a ranking one, or whatever else one can do with cities). of course that is not just one thing you do, it´s more a general principle on which you base all your city building decisions ...
But if you want space you can have basically all the space you need (or far more than that).

Sir Derf

Adept
Might I suggest you make ElvenArchitect.com your friend, and ElvenStats.com as your entrypoint with pre-loading your current city layout....

If I am looking at the correct city layout, you appear to have a large quantity of buildings at various levels (and thus various building footprints) spread across your city. Working with fewer buildings, but upgraded to current levels will be more efficient. Common building levels will also produce common footprints, allowing you to consolidate buildings of similar footprints into arrangements with straighter streets and fewer gaps. Culture buildings, while necessary, are buildings that frequently need replacing with better, more efficient culture buildings as you progress., and speaking of culture, also consider upgrading your streets; you always need streets, so you might as well get some culture back from them.

I think you'll find you have a lot of room in your city if you put in a little work with some judicious adjustments.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Let´s say many people do have space problems, certainly not all ;)

Magic bullet? Sure there is one: Build an efficient city, rather than a beautiful one (or a ranking one, or whatever else one can do with cities). of course that is not just one thing you do, it´s more a general principle on which you base all your city building decisions ...
But if you want space you can have basically all the space you need (or far more than that).

We all share the 'constraint'. Just not everyone has a problem. Building an 'efficient city' is a multi-level task and involves much planning and design, repeated over a period of time whereas a 'magic bullet' is a quick one shot solution. Your extension of my metaphor missed the target. I also mentioned a 'silver bullet', which is traditionally used to kill werewolves I believe.

There's no need to criticise me for trying to help a fellow player, unless I was incorrect or being wildly misleading. Perhaps just concentrate on helping the player with their original post? :cool:

I normally enjoy reading your posts @Gargon667. I certainly liked the ideas proposed by @Sir Derf and @Elivar.

Gargon667

Mentor
We all share the 'constraint'. Just not everyone has a problem. Building an 'efficient city' is a multi-level task and involves much planning and design, repeated over a period of time whereas a 'magic bullet' is a quick one shot solution. Your extension of my metaphor missed the target. I also mentioned a 'silver bullet', which is traditionally used to kill werewolves I believe.

There's no need to criticise me for trying to help a fellow player, unless I was incorrect or being wildly misleading. Perhaps just concentrate on helping the player with their original post? :cool:

I normally enjoy reading your posts @Gargon667. I certainly liked the ideas proposed by @Sir Derf and @Elivar.

Did I criticize you? Was not intended and I can still no see any criticism in my post.

All I am saying that space problems are common for many people, but not all.

Look at my city, it is half empty and I am doing just fine as it is.... So no I am certainly not constrained by space, outside of FA weeks I have not the slightest idea what to put on that empty space, as nothing I can come up with would make me better at anything I care about. There is a chunk of space occupied by temporary stuff (lvl 1 AWs, Vallorian Valor, Orc Strats, Sentient Factory, etc...) just so I don´t have even more empty space and I suppose I could just do more of the same, but well it´s hardly worth the work...

I admit my advice in this post was rather general, but it is there: If you have space problems make your city more efficient. If someone is interested in how to do that they´ll hopefully ask, but I am not interested in writing a 10 page essay that nobody is interested in ;)

happy werewolf hunting!

DeletedUser

But there is a magic bullet; Don't do the story line quest ;)

Yes it takes more time to go through a chapter; But why run to the end of the game :cool:

OldHag

Necromancer
have you considered teleporting buildings, even if only temporarily?

Chances are, if you have done the spire, you will have at least some teleport spells in your inventory (Enchantments) :)

SueH456*

Adventurer
There's one question you might ask yourself; Do i need to fulfil the story quest line ?

I stopped in Elementals exactly because of these ridiculous quest to have so and so many of each settlement building. And you can decline them when you enter the next chapter. Just don't delete the portal before clicking through the quests at the end of the chapter. There's diamonds for you :)
Thank you for your help