• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Communication I miss Game Announcements

sail0r

Spellcaster
I think it would help if you could announce Events and Fellowship Adventures with Date and time. It is a bit frustrating to have to guess when something is going to start...

Alcaro

Necromancer
I think it would help if you could announce Events and Fellowship Adventures with Date and time. It is a bit frustrating to have to guess when something is going to start...
.. and, if possible, BEFORE the event starts :D :D

I find it hilarious to get the announcement of a new event starting AFTER it actually started.

cwgiii

Shaman
It would be nice/ BUT, I can hear Inno now: (in a dream like, far off, echoing, omniscient voice) ......

"'Tiss part of the fun of the game"

Some tips:

The start date can usually be calculated: Beta Launch date + 2 weeks (14 days). Of course, this is just a a rule of thumb and is not always the case (as is evident from the current event). Spoiler Alert: I usually start preparing when I see information in the Forums (specifically "News from Beta"). I use ElvenGems to get more details. The Platinum Leaf page on Facebook can be extremely helpful too.

Almost all events start at the same time. 5 AM EDT (depending on time changes, which can differ by country/state/province).

Personally, using these data sources, I have only been caught off guard once or twice (usually when returning from vacation). If you are one that does not use spoilers, then you really don't need/want any announcement. If you don't mind spoilers, then you may not mind hunting through these sources (and/or others) to gather as much pre-knowledge as possible and plan ahead. There are MANY strategies to prepare your city for various events at any time. Utilizing any of the above should help you to be ready, within reason. Giving or taking an hour here or there seriously should not make that much difference, if you are honestly ready.

Again, I can hear Inno's almighty voice:

"'Tiss a game, enjoy it, even some of it's randomness (give or take)."

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
@sail0r We announce all events via the in-game news window (click on the bugle) as well as in the Forum. Please check out the Main Hall where all announcements are held.
We have preferred to not show the time as this has previously upset our players considerably, as the International server we cover all timezones which lead to further confusion when it was specified.

sail0r

Spellcaster
Apparently a new Fellowship Adventure will start this week. Will Inno announce it to us before it starts and ideally 72 hours (or at least 48 hours) in advance?
As you know an FA needs preparation. Also players that are between chapters have to decide if they will start the new settlement or not.

Julian

Sorcerer
Given that 48-hour statues need to be set going in advance, 72 hours would be good. Last time, I only had 2 hours warning in which to get the statues underway in time. Keeping track of Beta can give you the week it will start, but it can get things wrong over the day.

Timneh

Artisan
Events and FAs have always started late morning/early afternoon German time so i think it is pretty safe to think it will be the same this time. I think the start date is the most important thing, the time doesn't really matter that much (for me).

Diane 6213

Seeker
@sail0r We announce all events via the in-game news window (click on the bugle) as well as in the Forum. Please check out the Main Hall where all announcements are held.
We have preferred to not show the time as this has previously upset our players considerably, as the International server we cover all timezones which lead to further confusion when it was specified.

Now that is funny, you gave me a real nice chuckle this morning Silmaril, thank you for that. It sure didn't seem to bother anyone there about players being, "upset," about the tournament changes.

Autumn Goldleaf

Spellcaster
Why would it cause confusion?
If we are given a set time in a set timezone, it is easy enough to work out our own local date and time from there... ;)
Or is it more of an attempt to lower server traffic if everyone starts at exactly the same time.... hmmm

BlueBlou

Illusionist
Just to illustrate how confusing timing can be:

In school I was taught that GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) is the standard notation for indicating time with the 0 longitude line going through Greenwich in England and +1 for being an hour ahead or -1 being an hour behind. No problem there, until I hit the online gaming world and people are started talking of all the abbreviations of their own time zones. CEST meant nothing to me. Mountain Time, East Coast Time, I had to look them all up. Even GMT seems now to be replaced with UST (Universal Standard Time).

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Just to illustrate how confusing timing can be:

In school I was taught that GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) is the standard notation for indicating time with the 0 longitude line going through Greenwich in England and +1 for being an hour ahead or -1 being an hour behind. No problem there, until I hit the online gaming world and people are started talking of all the abbreviations of their own time zones. CEST meant nothing to me. Mountain Time, East Coast Time, I had to look them all up. Even GMT seems now to be replaced with UST (Universal Standard Time).

Hahaha so true, I never knew that CET = GMT +1 untill I had to look it up, I always thought it was some creepy US time who have like EST (eastern standard time) which you could read as european standard time for example.
It would be great if we all communicated in UTC for that reason.

It's similar to dates, we always learned to write today as 18/11/20 but since I communicate international I always note it down as 18 nov 2020
Why? wel 01/10/20, 10/01/20 and 20/10/01 are the same date depending on who you speak with. some countries start with day/month/year,(europ?) some with month/day/year(US?) and some with year/month/day.(Asia?)

So as long as you always write down the month and the year in 4 numbers it does no longer matter who you communicate with in the world, there will never be a form of miscommunication.

Last edited:

Sir Derf

Adept
Just as long as they make a properly formatted clock, and not the unscaling, day counter that is present in two out of three places within the Fellowship Adventure as currently implemented.