• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

How difficult does it get?

Stucon

Illusionist
Me - 5 x Sword Dancer II
The enemy - 1 mage, 2 x mist walker ll, 1 ranger, 1 orc deserter

Terrain meant I was able to avoid contact with the orc deserter. Yet I lost ALL my squads and did not get any enemy below half of their level.
Really. I should have taken out mage and mist walkers after first two contacts.

Stucon

Illusionist
Fight much of the time.
I think it was just a statistical thing. Should have won easily but got crushed.
Only round 2, level 2 of tourney as well!

Konniver

Bard
I think it's because even though sword dancers have bonuses against many of them, they require to be in melee range to attack, so are often weakened before they can. I almost always use cerberus-es in place of axe barbs as they can cover that distance much quicker and often hit first.

Lelanya

Mentor
Yep! Wardogs and orc strategists work best for this tourney. Thank all the gods I kept those culture buildings all this time. They are many chapters out of date and I still have them, would never sell them. Lol my Vallorian Guard were pretty darn good last week too!
Kind of makes me chuckle when folks complain about not having a Spheric Stub (which would also be a terrible thing). Ha! It's free troop producers you guys should be asking for IMO :)

You are manual fighting, right? Do not auto except if it's a cake walk! With manual you can retreat at will if need be

Last edited by a moderator:

Stucon

Illusionist
too tiny for orcs yet. manual fight. Actually did retreat before the wipe out but it was only matter of time.

lihwei9123

Seeker
For the most difficult provinces, honestly, is scrolls and dust provinces.

The reason that it is difficult is quite simple: the three classes of units are all ranged.
The scrolls province features abbot(MA), ranger(LR), mist walker (LR), and orc deserter(HR). It seems to be quite easy for beginner players, as they can use all light melee units to win with thee absence of the orc deserter. But after chapter 3, most scrolls provinces that you found you will meet the orc deserter, which is devastating against light melees. So with abbots that deal the most damage to heavy ranged units, mist walker and rangers that wipe off mages, and orc deserter that take down light melees with ease, it is almost impossible to defeat them using the auto battle mode, unless you have a very big squadsize advantage against them. Using light ranged and heavy melee is not good either, as the enemy light ranged all have strike back and higher initiative, and the heavy melees were seem to slow to take down those units. So if you really want you shall gather enough scrolls and steel to buy this provinces, or you can battle them when you have an overwhelming squadsize.

The dust province features two mages, the abbot and banshee, light ranged wild archer and heavy ranged steinling. Unlike the scrolls province, for chap 1 and chap 2 players it's the three types of units except the wild archer. So you know how difficult it is—— you have no choice but still need to conquer it. The first mage unit (for elves, sorceresses, for humans i don't know bcuz i never play with humans) is unlocked at chap 3, but in chap 3 dust provinces have wild archers to take down your mages so you must be very careful using them. Like the scrolls province, using auto battle with a same squadsize is almost impossible to win (with all three classes of those units present) so using autobattle is strongly discouraged for this and perhaps you will still have to seek for negotiation if you like to advance quickly.

And for the tournament, the same problem happens as well. I think the first three rounds will be a little tricky to complete, but how about the last three rounds? The enemy will usually have an even overwhelming squadsize against you, and the catering costs is also very high, too, requiring hundreds or even over 1,000 goods to cater. So, i believe that negotiating is the best choice to conquer these provinces in later ages instead of fighting them. If you still want to fight them, train a lot of light melee units, use them to kill the light ranged and mage units, and after they were killed, use heavy melee units to finish the rest of the heavy ranged units, though if you really do so you will have to suffer a lot more sacrifisation than encountering any other provinces (i don't know if this works for you) ! If you have the steel+scrolls+dust production boost, it's even better, you will be able to deal it much easier than fighting!

In conclusion, provinces is pretty problematic with all units ranged

Lelanya

Mentor
Ah you can craft culture in the Magic Academy, Grounds of the Orc Strategist, and Vallorian Valor, that make orc strategists, or vallorian guards, NOW.
When I wrote that post, the long promised alternate usage for blueprints, aka the Royal Restoration spell, was still in development, and the only way to get the above culture buildings was to win them when they made the occasional appearance in events, or OOO, once, Fellowship Adventures.

Pauly7

Magus
When I wrote that post, the long promised alternate usage for blueprints, aka the Royal Restoration spell, was still in development, and the only way to get the above culture buildings was to win them when they made the occasional appearance in events, or OOO, once, Fellowship Adventures.
Haha, yes the reply today two years later makes the previous conversation look a bit out of context.

Lelanya

Mentor
Haha, yes the reply today two years later makes the previous conversation look a bit out of context.
Yep this is one of the reasons I start new cities. It's always good to know how to advise new players, if we just sat on our duffs, we'd have a poor idea of how hard it is to fight, when you're in a chapter that gives a troop upgrade (but you haven't unlocked it) and you're miles from even trying to place a Needles or Monastery..

Gargon667

Mentor
For the most difficult provinces, honestly, is scrolls and dust provinces.

The reason that it is difficult is quite simple: the three classes of units are all ranged.

I would disagree that is the reason, but you are not entirely wrong either, I try to explain:

The actual reason why Scrolls/Dust is the most difficult is that Light Melee units sucks!
The only unit that has boni against 2 of the 3 enemies is LM in both scrolls and dust.
The fact that all 3 enemies are ranged is coincidental.

Meaning if lets say (just a theoretical thought experiment) you swapped the attack bonus of your own LR and LM units: Suddenly Dust/Scrolls would be the easiest tourneys and Steel would be the most difficult :D

What I do in Scrolls/Dust: I ignore LM units (always do except very small niche occurences): I use LR units instead: They have 2 advantages over LM units: 1. They are good units to start with and 2. They are boostable by ELR.
In detail: LR units utterly destroy mages. LR units deal very well with enemy LR units (especially so with damage and hitpoint boosters). Enemy HR units are specializes agaisnt LM, but have no big boni against LR. So LR is better against both Mages and HR troops than LM, while being about equal against LR.
Obviously with dust focus on mages, this tactics works even better compared to the LR focus in Scrolls. this is why in Scrolls I use more varied troops, like a lot of HR troops of my own and the previously mentioned occasional Drone Rider (which is not necessary, but fun).

Pauly7

Magus
Meaning if lets say (just a theoretical thought experiment) you swapped the attack bonus of your own LR and LM units: Suddenly Dust/Scrolls would be the easiest tourneys and Steel would be the most difficult :D
Lots of Victory Springs upgrades help!

DeletedUser7526

I would disagree that is the reason, but you are not entirely wrong either, I try to explain:

The actual reason why Scrolls/Dust is the most difficult is that Light Melee units sucks!
The only unit that has boni against 2 of the 3 enemies is LM in both scrolls and dust.

What I do in Scrolls/Dust: I ignore LM units (always do except very small niche occurences): I use LR units instead: They have 2 advantages over LM units: 1. They are good units to start with and 2. They are boostable by ELR.
In detail: LR units utterly destroy mages. LR units deal very well with enemy LR units (especially so with damage and hitpoint boosters). Enemy HR units are specializes agaisnt LM, but have no big boni against LR. So LR is better against both Mages and HR troops than LM, while being about equal against LR.
Obviously with dust focus on mages, this tactics works even better compared to the LR focus in Scrolls. this is why in Scrolls I use more varied troops, like a lot of HR troops of my own and the previously mentioned occasional Drone Rider (which is not necessary, but fun).
Roughly, how many squads consumed for scroll and dust for 10k points.
Dust, you use mages primarily ? And what kind. Banshees or merc camp mages ?
I follow slightly similar strategies. Trying to fine tune. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3571

Roughly, how many squads consumed for scroll and dust for 10k points.
Dust, you use mages primarily ? And what kind. Banshees or merc camp mages ?
I follow slightly similar strategies and get similar scores as you. Trying to fine tune. Thanks.
i think he meant that in dust the enemies are primarily mages and so the LR works better.

CrazyWizard

Shaman

obviously you don't understand the system well.

The problem is that those light melee units get pounded upon before you are even in striking range of the enemy.
You could give those units 500% attack bonus and it would not matter much. worse is that abbots destroy your attack power as well, so by the time you get close to those orc deserters your steel sword turned into a rubber one.

In my experience you need ~+100% HP added to light melee units to become comparable to range units. this so they can survive in enough numbers by the time they reach the enemy that they can actually still pack a punch.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Melee (light, heavy): Health
Light Ranged: Attack (gets a lot of bonuses with good needles too)
Heavy Ranged: I personally prefer power, I am going solo with the fire duck this week, but a bit of health is nice too on these troops.
Mage: attack and maybe a bit of heath, but more attack (MMM) focused.

Maybe they said it already, but it also matters were you place your troops, you need to check the enemy's troops too, so you do not place your mage right in the face of a mist waker, no need to provide fine dining exquisite customer service in the battlefield ;)

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Heavy Ranged: I personally prefer power, I am going solo with the fire duck this week, but a bit of health is nice too on these troops.
unfortunatly we do no heavy range power booster, healt is nice, but damage bonus is nicer :)

Health is quite generic and except for steel I always have health boosted.
Yesterday I decided to raise healt on all tournaments again, My HP boost stock has risen to 2250%, so it's about tie we use a bit more than usual so it's not rising again.

DeletedUser7526

Just for pun : no one is discussing in the air trader thread. We’d rather discuss a 2 year old thread.
Hope Inno gets the message.

DeletedUser7526

... My HP boost stock has risen to 2250%, so it's about tie we use a bit more than usual so it's not rising again.
And wow. 2250% in stock is 90 uu equivalent (or 45 da)
How did you manage to get so many.

Pauly7

Magus
Just for pun : no one is discussing in the air trader thread. We’d rather discuss a 2 year old thread.
Hope Inno gets the message.
Ha, nothing to really discuss over there. Sometimes you expect the debates over which daily prize is better, but as they are all quite poor the only question is whether people like how any of them look.