• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

How can we make the forum more attractive?

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Please remember guys, that we have the Lounge section here on the Forum to play games and create all sorts of threads and idea's.
Reach out to the mods if you would like us to see if some idea's here work and we are happy to roll with them :)

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I have been following this thread in an offline fashion. Soooo much I could say .... but like Laurelin, I'm resisting the temptation to earn any further demerit points.
Remember folks, you are dear to me (well, almost all) ;)

Good to see you back :)

Stucon

Illusionist
Negative comments from a single thread. (Copy and paste, not altered).
I make no observation on them other than to say that I recognise that some are from frustration.

you clearly don´t see
Before your high horse reaches a full gallop..
own wild deductions
Why do you feel the need to be so disparaging of anyone who disagrees with you?
the other things you answered to me are irrelevant.
much more unpleasant to read than me
Apparently, terseness was too confusing
My friend please READ! I think it has been explained so many times already, but somehow you fail to get it.
It has to do with how many points OTHER people give to you
The second line is ALL I was asking for, nothing else, and what you did wrote was not clear and more confusing to me. .
has wrote in purpose my nickname wrong,
I don't know what typo I made but what a response

I do not wonder why we have so few newbies who stick around.

Alcaro

Necromancer
Negative comments from a single thread. (Copy and paste, not altered).
I make no observation on them other than to say that I recognise that some are from frustration.

you clearly don´t see
Before your high horse reaches a full gallop..
own wild deductions
Why do you feel the need to be so disparaging of anyone who disagrees with you?
the other things you answered to me are irrelevant.
much more unpleasant to read than me
Apparently, terseness was too confusing
My friend please READ! I think it has been explained so many times already, but somehow you fail to get it.
It has to do with how many points OTHER people give to you
The second line is ALL I was asking for, nothing else, and what you did wrote was not clear and more confusing to me. .
has wrote in purpose my nickname wrong,
I don't know what typo I made but what a response

I do not wonder why we have so few newbies who stick around.

All those comments do not reflect the reality since they are taken out of the context.
Some sound more unpleasant than they were meant to be, some sound really friendly and not sure all were actually friendly comments.
If I'm not wrong, that thread was a hot one and most comments come only from couple players which they can't really stand one each other (but who knows, I might be wrong also with this assumption!).
I believe everybody can lose the temper once in a while, or make stupid or inappropriate comments or typing a comment just for the sake of posting something but if we can use our common sense, we can find a balance and keep a friendly environment in here.

Stucon

Illusionist
All those comments do not reflect the reality since they are taken out of the context.
I know @Alcaro, (said in a gentle voice). I just think that someone new, reading through that thread could (and probably would) see them as abrasive.
I envisaged a scenario of someone hitting the limit for shard 'spending'. Thinking 'why has that happened?' Going to the forum for the first time, seeing the tail end of the thread and thinking 'I won't bother in the future.'

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
I think on the surface, to a first time user, our Forum can look pretty intimidating. We've got some extremely regular high level players in here and so mathematical discussions about Rune Shards, Unurium, and Tournament Calculations would look like an entirely different language to someone who's only just managed to place their first Manu down :D

SkyRider99

Mentor
....and so mathematical discussions about Rune Shards, Unurium, and Tournament Calculations would look like an entirely different language to someone who's only just managed to place their first Manu down :D
Very true @Herodite. Which was one reason for my comment on this thread back in Nov. 2021:

So my "idea" would be to have a separate section that is only open to Novices. That way they could participate and have a more friendly exchange of their thoughts and ideas, before subsequently advancing to the more robust discussions.

:)

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
I think on the surface, to a first time user, our Forum can look pretty intimidating. We've got some extremely regular high level players in here and so mathematical discussions about Rune Shards, Unurium, and Tournament Calculations would look like an entirely different language to someone who's only just managed to place their first Manu down :D

Just my opinion, but personally I don't think it's that kind of thing which is likely to discourage newbies the most but the manner in which certain users respond to posts in general. Many times a relatively innocuous post is met with a high-handed, dismissive or opinionated response, or the original poster's suggestion or query is ridiculed.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Just my opinion, but personally I don't think it's that kind of thing which is likely to discourage newbies the most but the manner in which certain users respond to posts in general. Many times a relatively innocuous post is met with a high-handed, dismissive or opinionated response, or the original poster's suggestion or query is ridiculed.

I would like to think that all of you here would be happy to approach either myself or another available Mod with any concerns you may have. We will always intervene where necessary. Ultimately this is your Forum to discuss this beautiful game, we're just always knocking about to ensure things don't get too out of hand. We certainly don't want to be heavy handed in our Moderation, we would prefer everyone to discuss, debate, even disagree at times, but also have the foresight to do this in a polite and constructive manner :)

And i'm a huge advocate for everyone feeling safe enough to ask any question. Even if the answer is obvious!

BonnyGwen

Spellcaster
I don't think it's a matter of attractiveness or lack thereof.
For me it's a matter of function.
I come here to find information about events and updates.
I don't have much to say.
Largely, new players don't need to come here namely because they have a lot of information on ElvenGems (formerly Gems of Knowledge) and Elven Architect and Elven Stats.
ElvenGems is very detailed up to the later chapters.
Once you can't find info there, then people are more inclined to look for it here.

OldHag

Necromancer
like many others here, I come mainly to the forums to look for information. If I post an opinion, I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me, I like a lively debate and sometimes my eyes will be opened to something I perhaps hadn't thought of.
I personally haven't found anyone being rude on the forums, certainly not enough to put anyone on ignore, but if I should find you, I will offer you some cake. :)
One thing I always remember is that not everyones' first language is English, so things may not always come across in the way you might expect

Other then that, I love everyone.....so no one gets cake......yet. :)

Hekata

Artisan
Haha, this is so true! I remember when I was a just tiny newbie (a veeery, veeery long time ago) and I first stared following the forum from the shadows, some players were already discussing maths and stats and strategies and things that made 0 sens to me and I actually though they were all quite nuts to be playing the game that way. Well... needless to say things have changed, all those discussions started making much more sens as I progressed through the game and I started enjoying them and participating to some extent.
The 100% maths & stats posts do still give me a bit of a headache though, maybe you could add a "maths & stats" option in prefixes :D

Cheryn

Bard
The few instances of insults etc are shut down very efficiently by the mods here (the ongoing discussion is that mods may be rather too efficient at that, not the opposite!).

I have actually been an acomplice in one of those verbal wars and do sincerely apologize.

The question is only one of interpretation. If someone comes forward with a claim that the game is broken because of XYZ and someone explains to them that it isn´t the game that´s broken, but their choice of actions in the game, well some take offense and claim to be shut down, while others see it as helpful advice.

I don't want freebies from the game, but I would be particularly interested in "helps," "outs," or "fixes" to a major mistake I have made in game play.

People always claim that they want the right to say their opinion. I fully support that. Problem is the same people claim to be shut down every time somebody else exercises the same right and speaks out against them. Suddenly the other person should not have the right to say anything that contradicts them lol. That is hypocrisy.

Welcome to my AMERICA! Don't come here right now, unless HIPOCRISY is what you seek!!!!

Oh no I did it again!

Thank you (Brittany Spears) AND Gargon! ;)

Far Reach

Conjurer
My experience is that most discussions are constructive, but there are a few hot button topics which can provoke strong opinions and significant disagreements. Some examples are gameplay changes (especially relating to tournaments which benefit some players over others), tournament strategies affected by the tournament formula and AW kp sharing methods. On reflection I can see that many of the responses might be driven by emotions rather than logic. We should still be able discuss them, but perhaps we should try to keep those heavy discussions away from threads which are primarily focussed about something else (e.g. answering a newbie question, or to obtaining feedback on an idea).

This is another good reason for keeping them away from question and feedback areas of the forum as much as possible.

Outside of the game, I'm used to thinking about and discussing mathematical concepts and (independently of any knowledge about the game) personally find these discussions pretty accessible. I can see that others might feel differently though. Actually the only occasions on which I can remember feeling disparaged on these forums are several times in which someone has completely dismissed my maths based argument, telling me I'm wrong and asserting their own opinion instead. (In maths discussions it would be more usual either to identify the part of the proposer's argument/calculations which they doubt, or alternatively present their own mathematical argument giving a different conclusion.)