• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Hopefully no more chapters after Exile?

Kwiver

Seeker
I am on Ch17 and like many of you I have been playing this game for many years now. I was wondering whether I am the only one who feels that they would actually like to finish Exiles and hopes that no more are added, just so that I can play the end-game that I have always wanted (namely to use that space to beautify my city properly, increase resource/troop production so that I can more effortlessly do events/spires/tourneys etc)?

Have Inno ever done a poll where they asked the players who would actually like them to STOP adding more chapters, or am I blatantly in the minority with my quirky wish? :)

Laurelin

Sorcerer
@Kwiver :

I don't think you're in as small a minority as this Forum's more 'typical' content may, perhaps, suggest. And I doubt we'll see further 'traditional' Chapters past No.20. Rather, I can now see Elvenar passing its 'peak profitability' stage, during which the game's underlying concepts are still adjusted and optimally refined; instead I see the game starting to grow 'sideways', as it were, rather than 'forwards'... no more forging ahead with brand-new Chapters etc., but deeper and more interesting Lore, such as evolving, familiar themes and characters returning over and over, with more varied and better Events, and many other fun and/or competitive distractions to keep us all busy and happy on the 'something for everyone' principle. But certainly fewer - if any - major structural changes to the base game itself, which I think is effectively near-complete, more or less.

Maybe, as some of of my in-game friends have suggested, even Forge of Empires-style (permanent) 'Settlements' to expand our Cities, as well...?

And then : a Golden Age of [mostly] old and [some] new friends, contentedly and calmly sailing into the setting sun of Maintenance Mode, where I think this game will very happily settle down for many years to come. And I myself am much looking forward to that... rather like you, in fact! :)

ETA : [Off-topic : I LOVE your avatar! Do you know the artist, by any chance...? Thanks in advance, if you do!]

kimkimkim

Summoner
I would love to see more chapters as long as they are interesting.......but as a side note, you do not need to continue on in chapters even if there are any, you could just stop progressing.....I personally stopped in chapter 17 in one of my cities for those reasons you have spoke of

schadenfreude

Enchanter
This game is so open ended. You don’t need Inno to tell you how to play it. Some people stop chaptering at 3. Some at 5. Some at 16. Others don’t bother joining fellowships, doing tourney, climbing Spire, participate in FAs or events. You can do whatever you want, as much or as little to your heart’s content. :)

Sir Derf

Adept
Um, not sure that I'd consider that open-ended, the ability to continue playing the game while refusing to continue advancing in game progress...

Would you consider Pac-Man to be open ended, because you could decide after eating 80% of the dots on the third screen that you're just going to meander around all the already-emptied corridors, avoiding ghosts and starving to death as you refuse to eat another dot? Or Asteroids, just flying around the screen, refusing to shoot any more asteroids? Are a bag of Doritos open ended, if you really do eat just one?

No, they would be open ended because, well, the have no end. Eat all the dots, clear the screen, get a new screen with new dots. Shoot all the asteroids, clear the screen, get a new screen with new asteroids. Doritos: You keep eating, they'll make more.

Philosophically, does Elvenar 'end' when there are no more researches, no more Chapter quests (until they add a new chapter with new researches and quests)? Or does it continue, with more Tourneys, more Spires, more FAs, more Events, more production runs and troop trainings and trades, even when the researches and quests are gone?

If an Event Currency falls in the forest, and there is no player logged in to see it, did it exist?

(This post was not sponsored by Frito-Lay.)

schadenfreude

Enchanter
Um, not sure that I'd consider that open-ended, the ability to continue playing the game while refusing to continue advancing in game progress...
The good news is you are free to consider it close-ended or whatever your definition of not open-ended is and none of your further questions still really matters. You can pontificate philosophically where the end is til the fat lady sings. It doesn't even matter if Inno puts out 100 more chapters or 0 chapters. As the game exists in its current state, players are still free to do whatever the heck they want (or not) with their own cities and it will have no immediate impact on whatever you decide to do with your own game. The end game is not to finish every chapter if nothing happens when you don't. The end game is not to top the tourney rankings when nothing happens when you don't even do any tourney. Same goes with joining fellowships, Spire, FAs, events, etc. It's not some endless scrolling game where there's a back edge constantly pushing players forward. You can sit as still as you like by your lonesome self or fly through every chapter with 24 fellow players like you're chasing some pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The game allows for any which way you decide to play it.

And Pac-Man has never died because he starved. Mrs. Pac-Man either for that matter.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I love this game because there is a constant addition of new chapters and features. I've reached the end of game before and stopped playing because it got boring after couple of months. I respect your position but I don't think it's a great idea to take away from others for some to gain. I think the aim is to make happy as many players as possible and not just one group. There can be some middle ground to accommodate both.
I did notice that there are more players that have some catching up to do so it's possible that they will make it easier to progress again like they did when they introduced portal profits.
Have you looked at options to progress faster? It is possible to reach Ch 19 in two years.

kimkimkim

Summoner
I spy with my little eye......chapter 20 guest race icon under the relics tab of the Main Hall......coming soon :)

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    4.5 KB · Views: 41

Kwiver

Seeker
There is so much that I would have liked to do to my city and round out/change my build once I completed the main content and freed up that space... at the same time I perfectly understand that there are folks like Silly Bubbles who have finished and come back precisely because of the additions. I am honestly not trying to be selfish or be an overly vocal/opinionated minority - that is simply why I wondered if there has ever been a poll (or whether Inno already have more player opinions on their game than they care for :)).

Sir Derf

Adept
Just think of how boring the world would be if games didn't expand? Remember when Tic-Tac-Toe expanded their grid and added Province Expansions with the introduction of that new Chapter, Connect 4?