• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Guides Competition Discussion

DeletedUser

I admit to being a little miffed with this. It seems that what you are doing is asking the players to write content for you that you should already have, and for free (with the exception of the lucky 3 winners who get a couple of dollars worth of diamonds). It's like asking artists to submit work for free under the guise of a competition, with the winner being the only one paid for their work. If you want guides for game content, you should obviously have better information more readily available.

An example of this is the Ancient Wonders - when first unlocked in the tree there should be an information box about them in game, or a tutorial pop up. It is a completely new game mechanic that is not explained in the least, and for any players not aware of the wiki or the forum (and there are many because you don't link to them on the landing page or make them obvious to find) it would be very confusing.

The same goes for the combat mechanics. In the early game, you learn very little about the combats, and it wasn't until after I'd stumbled across an unrelated post on the forums that I learned that the placement of your troops in the battle have a large effect on their success. Your tutorials need to be more comprehensive, and available at the click of a button.

My point being, rather than asking the community to create your content for you, perhaps actually explain your mechanics better in game, or have clearer, easier to find information available to players.

DeletedUser

I admit to being a little miffed with this. It seems that what you are doing is asking the players to write content for you that you should already have, and for free (with the exception of the lucky 3 winners who get a couple of dollars worth of diamonds). It's like asking artists to submit work for free under the guise of a competition, with the winner being the only one paid for their work. If you want guides for game content, you should obviously have better information more readily available.

An example of this is the Ancient Wonders - when first unlocked in the tree there should be an information box about them in game, or a tutorial pop up. It is a completely new game mechanic that is not explained in the least, and for any players not aware of the wiki or the forum (and there are many because you don't link to them on the landing page or make them obvious to find) it would be very confusing.

The same goes for the combat mechanics. In the early game, you learn very little about the combats, and it wasn't until after I'd stumbled across an unrelated post on the forums that I learned that the placement of your troops in the battle have a large effect on their success. Your tutorials need to be more comprehensive, and available at the click of a button.

My point being, rather than asking the community to create your content for you, perhaps actually explain your mechanics better in game, or have clearer, easier to find information available to players.

Ouch. So true it hurts.
For a new player, the lack of explanation of the combat system SUCKED.
What you have here is (as above) a "We can't be bothered doing what needs to be done. lets get the players to do it "as a competition" LOL! and some idiots will do our work for us... FOR NOTHING!!. Man, these guys are just not that smart"

DeletedUser66

I think both of you have gotten the idea behind the competition all wrong and what is being attempted with hosting something like this.

I understand there is a wiki available for information, as far as I can see, it is updated with information the players will need to get started playing on this game. But the forum lacks player created guides for specific play styles, for example the combat system. The wiki provides sufficient information about the combat system, even information about the troops - but the wiki doesn't provide precise or exact information and spoilers about the mechanics and how to utilize them for the best possible outcome. This of course is up to the player's trial and error. There is no obligation to provide such information on a wiki but it is allowed on the forums. Especially player written content for other players to use.

There have been players who have written such content already to help others and I don't see a problem with making it official in form of a competition. At the end we will all benefit from using such accurate guides.

DeletedUser

There are no way enough competitions and I agree the rewards for entering are gross. Big let down

DeletedUser

I think both of you have gotten the idea behind the competition all wrong and what is being attempted with hosting something like this.

...The wiki provides sufficient information about the combat system, even information about the troops - ...

There have been players who have written such content already to help others and I don't see a problem with making it official in form of a competition. At the end we will all benefit from using such accurate guides.

The wiki (I looked, correct me if I am wrong) does not tell you that your troops will appear on the battlefield in a different order to what you actually select. This is not a small issue, or an issue that people can have fun learning. It is a gross oversight that makes the combat annoying and not fun.

To be clear, more advanced stratagems are not something I would expect from the wiki, such as abusing the AI's failings, by running their prefered target back through your troops, thus saving you moving, as the AI blindly runs the gauntlet. These kinds of things, plus troop combinations etc are fun or expected to be learnt, not why do your troops seemingly randomly populate the battlefield.

Guides on how to win are perfectly fine to run competitions for.
Guides on how to play are just plain lazy.
Guides being required to explain basic parts of the game shows neglect.

DeletedUser

Guides on how to win are perfectly fine to run competitions for.
Guides on how to play are just plain lazy.
Guides being required to explain basic parts of the game shows neglect.
Nicely put.

DeletedUser1353

The prize is very small, 5000/3000/1000 would be a more suitable amount imo.

Otherwise I approve of trying to get people engaged in posting more guides. Hopefully it will bring up some more views on playing the game that we haven't seen before.

DeletedUser1829

Is there an expected date of when the 10 best guides will be posted?

DeletedUser814

Hello Mykan,

As the deadline to submit entries for the Elvenar Guides Competition has expired, we will open voting to our players here in the Elvenar International community at the earliest possible opportunity. :)