• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

general discussion

• Thread starter DeletedUser1877
  • Start date

DeletedUser1877

I noticed that several reactions to a certain post have been removed, in a different thread.
It is a bit weird that in the General discussions part of the forum, we seem not allowed to discus general things
I'm talking about a thread where a person started of with a ''suggestion'' that turned into a heated discussion.
In my opinion, suggestions should be posted in a different section of the forum, but since this was not done, and posted here, I assumed that it was open to ''general discussion'' (the title of this part of the forum)
but, for some reason, that discussion has been locked now...
I was wondering, why not move the whole thread to the ideas and suggestion-area of the forum, instead of locking us all out of the discussion, that was far from over?

DeletedUser

General Discussions is a place to make a more generalised comment/suggestion, on a particular topic.
Suggestions is for people who are putting forward a particular idea.

The idea of putting forward a suggestion, that may be controversial, may be seen as the "vocal minority" getting "air time" that a significant portion of the forum community does not want. By posting in General Discussions, an idea can be put to more people, get more input and reactions before taking it to the Suggestions section. Once a consensus is reached in the General area, it can be transferred to the Suggestions area. This was done deliberately, to engage more of the community.

In my opinion, suggestions should be posted in a different section of the forum, but since this was not done, and posted here, I assumed that it was open to ''general discussion'' (the title of this part of the forum)
but, for some reason, that discussion has been locked now...
I was wondering, why not move the whole thread to the ideas and suggestion-area of the forum, instead of locking us all out of the discussion, that was far from over?

In relation to the above, you are confusing the General Discussion forum and specific posts within it. As per the rules, posts must be made on topic, you seem to be suggesting that within any General Discussions thread, you can discuss what you please, which is not the case.

The thread is being cleaned as per the rules

2. Be polite and constructive
Please help us keeping harmony in the community. Make sure that you treat others respectfully, do not insult anyone and remain polite. Aggressive, vulgar and provocative language will not be tolerated.
Report aggressive messages to the staff of moderators and never reply publicly to them. Reply to posts always in a civilized and constructive way.
Remember that we all have different backgrounds and different opinions. Respect is the key of the game!

5. Posting Protocol
- Avoid multiple posts! You have access to both the 'edit' and the 'multi-quote' buttons, use them.
- To avoid repetition of arguments especially in long discussions you should always read the whole topic before posting.
- Be on topic! Please post answers/comments that are relevant and relate/refer to the thread topic. If you cannot post a sensible answer it is better to avoid saying anything. This is particularly true for one-word-posts like "lol" or "rofl".

TL;DR
  • The thread was posted to gather ideas for the Suggestions thread.
  • The discussion became derailed by people who disagreed with the premise of the thread, who commented in a way that did not bring forward the discussion of the topic, just saying it would not work or should not exist.
  • The topic specifically gave these people an outlet (to vote no) yet they insisted on commenting further

DeletedUser1877

• The thread was posted to gather ideas for the Suggestions thread.
  • The topic specifically gave these people an outlet (to vote no) yet they insisted on commenting further

Maybe in your head the thread was posted to gather ideas for questions, but neither the title, nor the poll, nor the first explanations suggested that.
To me it looked like a thread to feel the waters, that attracted several posts with suggestions about what questions could be asked. If i recall correctly, you even doubted it would be implemented (i vaguely recall you said the chances were 5%)
After several posts, some people ''told'' that some questions already were answered, but for some reason, that was not 'accepted', and links were asked/posted/checked/and interpeted from different points of view.
When I joined the thread, i did exactly what was suggested at the start of it, discus whether the dev's should be asked and demanded to answer.
I can't help it if people didn't like it that i did what the first post asked me to do.
My point of view was as clear as day, and because people started to discus that (my point of view), I kept following the thread, and even put my 2 cents in on a few stances.
if you wanted the thread to be a gathering of questions for the dev's , you should have (in my opinion) given it a different title, and make that clear in the first post, and DEFINITIVLY NOT have used that poll.
So to cut this discussion short, i suggest you make such a thread, and just gather ''questions for the dev's'', and if you do, i'm certain 1 or 2 of the dev's will regularly check that thread, and even maybe if they have some time to spare ( and if they're allowed by management)reply or answer some of those gathered questions.
make sure that the title of the thread will be clear tho,something like ..
''Questions for the Developers''