• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Gems Tournament

Laurelin

Sorcerer
And to ramble on just a little longer, if I may (above post word count exceeded... erks!):

Noticed that the Spire has nastier combinations and harder fights this round as well.
Personally I think little bits and pieces are already implemented, to gather data.
I also agree with both points you make here, @Killiak - speaking [me] as a vigilant (although not record-keeping...) almost 100% manual fighter both in Tournaments and, where at all possible before the Squad Sizes grow so large that I can't even fill more than two or three Squads (!), in my reluctant partial attempts at the Spire each week; both Tourney and Spire do indeed seem to be more difficult both this week and last week, although last week's difference may have been less noticeable [er, have I already said this?] since Dust is always a difficult Tourney where even keen regular fighters often lose many Troops and/or Cater more often, so overall weekly Troops/Goods losses may (?) have been harder to gauge for more advanced players.

Since the new Tournament formula is so similar to the Spire formula, and because I am sure that InnoGames will rely far more upon real, user-sourced in-game data than upon any opinion stated here (or even far, far away in the much more influential and highly populated galaxy of Anti-Social Meeja...), I very much doubt that any increase in Combat difficulty, now or previously, is either accidental or coincidental... although - for the record - I do not mean this as any kind of endorsement or support of, well, anything that's currently happening in-game or [as far as we know] planned for the future.

I'm not a note taker with losses, so I'm just spouting numbers off the top of my head [...]
Be my own views here a jaded perspective or not, it seems highly likely to me that InnoGames is well aware that the large majority of players [and indeed gamers in general] are in the same category as you on this, @Pauly7 (I know that I am), since simply having an instinctive feeling - or even a clear memory - that Tournaments/the Spire were once easier than they are now, and/or that the last Gems Tourney was certainly a fair bit easier (to my recollection, at least), cannot, unlike solid data - as kept by a very few dedicated experts like @CrazyWizard - be relied upon to back up our opinions here, or even to reassure ourselves that we are not, in fact, mistaken - nor yet can such non-empirical [but still, I think, genuine] feelings/memories be used with much real effect, sadly, in arguments for/against the proposed Tournament alterations - or indeed any future changes to the game.

It is not for nothing, methinks, that most large gaming companies these days employ not only game designers and artists, but also psychologists.

Last edited:

Gargon667

Mentor
Lol, you guys are way out of my league, and I guess most other players as well. Not going to say where my troops usually ran out, but this gems is about the same as any other gems for me. One of those provinces you have to think and no one recipe fits all that is thrown at you, as that is how I experience it.

I see some dedicated note keeping by some. Have you ever compared the stats between first 10 provinces and the next 10, and so on and so on?

Same as @Pauly7 I don´t keep notes. But From what I remember when I played tourneys in rounds: I ususally played 40-50 provinces. The first 4 rounds hardly cost any troops (maybe a total of 100-200 squads?) Round 5 started to get more difficult and 6 of course had most losses. So in the end I maybe killed 1000 squads.

Now I have the cooldown at 0. So I play tourneys by province rather than by round. Losses now just go up slowly but steadily as numbers grow. I now do my standard 50 provinces 6 times and more if I have nothing else to do or my FS wants to break a record or something. I still kill probably about 1000 squads a week I would guess, but I don´t really check anymore. In the current tourney system I have more troops than I can kill, my limiting factor is mainly number of repetitive clicks I am willing to do and the number of provinces I have scouted.

Pauly7

Magus
Thanks for that very detailed run-down @Laurelin. You have loads more useful information and data than I do. I have been playing the game and playing the tournaments for a long time, but I often very much fly by the seat of my pants rather than dealing in absolute data. That's not to say it's random and I have a good knowledge of what works best and what I need to do and what sort of losses I can expect. This week just seemed very strange to me. Perhaps they have made the terrain more difficult or the enemy combinations, as you say. It would be an odd thing to do right before they overhaul the tournaments anyway.

Pauly7

Magus
Same as @Pauly7 I don´t keep notes. But From what I remember when I played tourneys in rounds: I ususally played 40-50 provinces. The first 4 rounds hardly cost any troops (maybe a total of 100-200 squads?) Round 5 started to get more difficult and 6 of course had most losses. So in the end I maybe killed 1000 squads.
I was going up to about province 60. I don't normally pay too much attention to what my squad levels are on during round one. I check at the end and, like you say, that's OK because the losses are negligible. This week dropping 200 squads in one gems first round is something that's never happened to me before. I may have had bad luck with too many Mistwalkers and bad terrain, but I've never had close to those losses before.

Interestingly, from round 3 onwards I dropped down to 40 provinces and everything seemed much more normal to me.

Gargon667

Mentor
I guess it really was simple old bad luck in the beginning (well in the end of the beginning, meaning if you had a few extra mist walkers in Province 55-60 that kills loads of squads), sounds much more likely than that they have done any changes now, just a few weeks before the big changes.

Pauly7

Magus
I guess it really was simple old bad luck in the beginning (well in the end of the beginning, meaning if you had a few extra mist walkers in Province 55-60 that kills loads of squads), sounds much more likely than that they have done any changes now, just a few weeks before the big changes.
You could be right, but the same happened in round 2. That's when I thought, hold on - something's wrong here - and just cut myself back to 40 because I didn't have enough troops to cope with that onslaught.

I'm not sure if it's comforting or depressing that @Laurelin has also spotted things with this tournament.

Gargon667

Mentor
I will start the tourney tonight, I will let you know if something unusual happens :)

Thorly

Spellcaster
Pauly7, it could be your double (Pauly8) that switched your game with his. Or, double-check your squad size, it might have shrank. ;)

Last edited:

BlueBlou

Illusionist
It is some time since previous gems tourney and more squad upgrade researches could have happened. Not sure how one would factor this in.

Gargon667

Mentor
I played the tourney yesterday night. 50 provinces for 6 rounds and a bit less than 1000 squads, so I would say same as always...

AstralSoul

Illusionist
We are been deprived of UUUs, that is the issue. Many, many, many of us are getting them rarely hehe lately hehe.

Gargon667

Mentor
We are been deprived of UUUs, that is the issue. Many, many, many of us are getting them rarely hehe lately hehe.

True they seem to be rare, as I said earlier, I think it has to do with the change in how recipes pop up in the academy, but I get most of my HP boosters from the spire, so it has less effect on me than on people that don´t play the spire or are less lucky than I am with Armorers :).

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Nice, I have my luck elsewhere within the Spire, (magic buildings, and spire sets,) but yes, I get some DAs too, not as many as I wished though.

Deleted User - 1759805

I see some dedicated note keeping by some. Have you ever compared the stats between first 10 provinces and the next 10, and so on and so on?
Yes, you can see loss breakdowns in my tournament tutorials:

Scrolls: https://minmaxgame.com/elvenar-tournament-tutorial-scrolls/
Silk: https://minmaxgame.com/elvenar-tournament-tutorial-silk/
Elixir: https://minmaxgame.com/elvenar-tournament-tutorial-elixir/
Magic Dust: https://minmaxgame.com/elvenar-tournament-tutorial-dust/