• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Forum update

Muf-Muf

Elvenar Team
Dear Humans and Elves,

Please use this thread to discuss the upcoming forum update.

We're looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

m4rt1n

Adept
Looking forward to the forum update, I do hope it comes with more Trophies though as I just earned the last one this evening for 1337 posts and have them all. :D

The layout looking at the beta forum looks more pleasing to the eye. :)

m4rt1n

Adept
It makes me want to gouge my eyes out with an incandescent fork. Aside from personal taste, how about devoting resources to fixing things that are broken instead? The forums worked just fine. Much unlike, say, the tournaments.

As a mod and admin of several forums in the past, a forum update is very important, for online security of the users more than anything else, and in my opinion that is a #1 priority.
Yes the game updates are a priority for us players, but online security is my upmost concern. :)

DeletedUser1874

As a mod and admin of several forums in the past, a forum update is very important, for online security of the users more than anything else, and in my opinion that is a #1 priority.
Yes the game updates are a priority for us players, but online security is my upmost concern. :)
That much was not being questioned, though that's assuming there's a security update too in that software update, and one that won't introduce bugs and holes at that. No changelog has been provided that I'm aware of, so I just commented on what I saw. As to security, I've learned not to rely on others for it. I'd rather go through the hassle of using different email aliases each with a different exceedingly strong passwords, none of which linkable to PII, all of which from behind cascaded VPN connections yadda yadda yadda.
So my main gripe with the update is that the new skin & font combo make my eyes bleed. And don't get me started about round avatars... apparently one's platform's not cool enough without those mobile-app-looking abominations nowadays.

m4rt1n

Adept
Wow I have to agree the spacing and layout make it hard to read. I am NOT looking forward to peering at the screen on my phone :(
I am seeing that any change is wow, that is terrible, no wonder inno don't want to change anything, game or forum.
And this is only a change to protect users online security from my own experience.

As a company they will just file all such posts under ....B1n...

The game has problems, but complaining about everything will in my own opinion alienate all representatives of Inno.
We are all entitled to our own opinion, but as it is the forum we can use settings to set our own font and view it.

Last edited:

DeletedUser1874

The game has problems, but complaining about everything will in my own opinion alienate all representatives of Inno.
We are all entitled to our own opinion, but as it is the forum we can use settings to set our own font and view it.
Alienate whom? Are they even here? It's not a coincidence I mentioned shifting focus on the tournament. It wasn't an Inno guy who let us know of the huge tournament bug, not on this board at least, which is apparently a second class board.
So no, I'm not going to lie and give them positive feedback in the hope that doing so won't alienate our already absentee overlords. And as to the forum update, I saw nothing mentioned about it being a security update so I'm not going to assume such an update is included; and as far as aesthetics are concerned the new skin is horrible to me and matters of taste are by their very nature incontestable. But hey, glad to know we'll be able to change the equally horrible font at least.

OldHag

Necromancer
. we can use settings to set our own font and view it.

Where please @m4rt1n ?
I just looked at the beta forums and my old eyes didn't like it. It was like wearing someone elses glasses.

DeletedUser8409

now i'm not any tech expert but i'm not sure how updating the security means they have to change how the forum looks.
I've been a mod at forums before and I completely agree with m4rt1n. It's important not to stay behind in updates for a variety of reasons.

Updates can break themes for two reasons. One is if it's a major update to the forums code it may make a prior theme incompatible, the other is if you change supplier of the software which will again make a prior theme incompatible.

DeletedUser6357

The information you provide contains nothing to comment on.
to make the forum more secure
Extremely wrong.
I don't know what forum admin you were, but:
1. A good admin makes a software update without the users understanding.
2. A good admin always waits 1-2 weeks after an update is released before applying it. There are also some cases where security holes appear in a software update and it is less secure than the previous version.
3. Software updates are prepared very carefully by the authors of the software and in most cases the job of the admin is to just press the "update" button.
4. When a security error is detected, a patch is issued to correct the error, rather than an update.

For years, fonts have tended to be at least 16 in size, and even better 18.
I don't dig into the Beta Forum style files, but my impression is that it's smaller than 14.
Not serious and uncomfortable.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
Given the various serious problems with the actual game software right now this is reminiscent of changing the wallpaper in the spare bedroom while the rest of the house is on fire.

And this whole 'keep updating software every few months' ethos is generally misguided, and in my experience (30 years in software development) often causes more problems than it solves. Instead, Inno would be far better reviewing its development procedures and devoting a far greater percentage of development time to testing. Many of the numerous Inno bugs that I've witnessed over the years should have been detected way before the software was released (even to beta).

Last edited:

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
Yadda Dadda Da etc, a forum update is separate to a game update and is done to make the forum more secure.

Not true. There are any number of reasons for forum software or any other kind of software to be updated. In which areas is the current version of the forum software considered 'insecure'?