• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Fortifications

Sir Derf

Adept
First, the visual...

Drawbridges, Gates and Doorways, say 2x3 or 3x2 or whatever, that you could visually place at the front edges of your city and visually mate up with roads inside your city. For internal use, I would suggest that the center of the piece be considered a road.
Castle towers, in various footprint sizes, with varying items on top, that you could place either at corners or edges of your city.
Walls, 1x1 or 1xn, that you could place around your city, matching up to the drawbridges and towers..

Obviously, the walls are visually meant to be placed on the perimeter, but could be used internal to your city. For the others, it would be visually more interesting (but might be difficult/impossible to implement in game) if their visual extended outside the city footprint somewhat. While square towers could meet up with walls on their edge, a round tower wants to extend a little outside a wall, after all.

Now, the mechanics.

First, I would give them a Culture value, and as such they could be used by any player in any chapter. They wouldn't have to use them in most chapters, as there are many other culture options, but they could if they wanted to.

But, the point would be that they would be introduced to work with a new Chapter - the Knight's Siege. Each of these items would also provide a certain amount of Fortification points. Guest Race buildings in this chapter each require a minimum available Fortification points. For this chapter, you would have to build these fortification pieces, but again, you would decide which pieces and where in your city.

So, these buildings could be Spire prizes, Event prizes, or Crafting recipes. But, they would also be Builder's Hut buildable items starting in the Knight's Siege chapter.

Julian

Sorcerer
Excellent. That would bring a whole new dynamic to the game.

Maybe there could be an advantage to every building enclosed within the walls. The main hall could become the keep. The bigger your defences, the easier your tournaments.

Pauly7

Magus
This sounds like it could develop into a viable alternative to having a guest race settlement. So I am all for it as I am sick of guest race settlements and I wish they would come up with a new idea for a chapter (or for chapters going forwards) that doesn't involve people setting aside half their city space to fill up with temporary buildings that then disappear. That idea was OK when it was quite small scale in Dwarves and Fairies, but the whole thing seems so against what I want to do in a city building game and they now do the same every chapter and make it worse than before every chapter.

Gargon667

Mentor
I will never get to enjoy such a chapter anyway, but the idea is fun, however I guess far too "military" for Inno, they like it all flowers and peace and pretend tourneys are non-lethal lol...

Pauly7

Magus
I guess I might be in the same position, but if they announced a new chapter where there was no big guest race area, but instead you had to get a city wall around your city... and if I thought that wall would look really cool... then it might be something new and fresh enough to make me think - hmm, maybe I should press on further after all. Of course it doesn't have to be particularly military. They could make it look however they wanted, but I'm guessing it would be like an old-school medieval city and I think that would be my cup of tea.